Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 07-21-2005, 06:49 PM   #1
MBDriver
Regular User

Default Wireless Network

So a friend of mine wants me to set up a wireless next for me. He has Linksys products and DSL.

Is there anything I should know that will help me out in the process? I want to do this right and fast the first time. I've only done it two times in the past so any help would be nice! Thanks JW.
MBDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:09 PM   #2
DTM8
Regular User

Well ok, here are some tips that I've used to set up wireless networks.

1: Try to move the router away from metal objects, walls, floors, etc. because it might interfere the signal.

2: Make sure your wireless network adapter card is atleast up to par with the wireless network setup. Obviously, a shitty Network adapter = worse signals.

3: From my experience, try to limit the amount of 2.4ghz electronics in your house. If you already have them, its really no big deal, but I would opt for 900mhz or 5.8ghz.

4: Try to go for the 802.11g rather than the 802.11b adapters because the "g" tend to be much faster then the "b".

5: Obviously, make sure the firmware is updated.

6: If your home/apartment is rather large and or it has many interferences, go for a wireless repeater/signal booster to improve the signal.

7: Lastly, download a software program to moniter your wireless status (in case your neighbors want to use your bandwidth :x ). Sorry, I cant think of the name of it, but there are lots out there!
DTM8 is offline   Reply With Quote