Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 09-23-2004, 10:29 AM   #1
topgeartom
Regular User

Default Wanted. Idiots guide to overclocking, or help from member

Right, basically i want to overclock my processor. I bought a relatively base spec computer about 1.5 years ago, that was brill at the time, but now, little old me wants more. I have upgraded it over time with more RAM - it now has 1gig. I have put in a new graphics card, and have bought myself a decent soundcard, the only thing left for me to do, to make it up-to-date is a new processor, however, processors are £100+ and at the moment (and for the forseeable future) i have precisely £0. You dont need a calculator to realise im fucked when it comes to getting a new one, so i could do with OVERCLOCKING my current one.

My processor is an AMD athlon XP2000+ @ 1662mhz. Now, while i do not hope to achieve anywhere near Jabba-like speeds, i would like to know if somewhere near2ghz is possible.

There are two main issues though:

1) I have no knowledge of overclocking.
2) At the moment my cooling consits of one fan sucking air in on the case, and another over my cpu - and there is the one inside the PSU.

While i may be able to bribe an extra fan or two from my mother - cash flow is likeely to remain at zero.

{edit} I could do with knowing how to reset CMOS bios (or something similar) in case i fuck up.

Any help would be appreciated

Ta,
Tom
Old 09-23-2004, 11:37 AM   #2
mindgam3
Regular User

http://www.viperlair.com/articles/ho...ck/index.shtml

try this, i was gonna do it ages ago, but never got round to it as it seemed a bit too much hassle
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 12:47 PM   #3
abbor
Regular User

You have excactly the same CPU as I have..

I only know the easiest parts of overclocking.. Going into the BIOS and changing the values on some shit I don't remember.. But I'll guide you through that if you want.. I hope your CPU is not locked like the article says, mine wasn't...
abbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 01:05 PM   #4
mindgam3
Regular User

u can change settings in bios to tell it ur running a faster processor eg a 2300XP+ but this doesent actually change the clock speed, you'll still have to unlock it to increase its speed
Old 09-23-2004, 01:12 PM   #5
abbor
Regular User

Perhaps it doesn't change the clock speed, but it definetly makes the computer go faster.. And that's what it's all about, ain't it?
I realise that he maybe want to do some serious shit, and get better results, but if he don't, my solution is the best...
Old 09-23-2004, 01:48 PM   #6
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by abbor
Perhaps it doesn't change the clock speed, but it definetly makes the computer go faster.. And that's what it's all about, ain't it?
I realise that he maybe want to do some serious shit, and get better results, but if he don't, my solution is the best...
if ur not changing the FSB, multiplier or relative voltages then chances are your computer isnt actually running any faster. And if u havennt changed any of these and u've just told the bios you have a different processor then nothing will have changed
Old 09-23-2004, 04:32 PM   #7
abbor
Regular User

Originally Posted by mindgam3
Originally Posted by abbor
if ur not changing the FSB, multiplier or relative voltages then chances are your computer isnt actually running any faster. And if u havennt changed any of these and u've just told the bios you have a different processor then nothing will have changed
It gets better results in 3DMark and the games runs better, and that I'll take as a proof that it's faster...

EDIT: If FSB is the thing I change in the BIOS-settings, that's what I said all along..
Old 09-23-2004, 06:51 PM   #8
5vz-fe
Regular User

As mindgam3 previously mentioned, it might get HOT....ur case circulation sounds fine to me, but u might want to keep an eye on the CPU temp after OCing and run a few programs....if it gets over 50C, change ur CPU fan.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:10 PM   #9
PATo355
Regular User

Originally Posted by thamar
Most likely you still have the old 2000+ on 0.18µ or the T-bred A on 0.13µ . Both overclock for shit and get fucking hot.

Keep your hands of it if you don't know what you are doing. Giving your windows a good reïnstall + some good windows tweaking gives you a huge performance boost also.

If you want a cheap and good cpu, go for the AMD Sempron 2400+.
Experience overclocking 2400+ ?

I would suggest a 2500+ barton , it goes to 3200 without any effort or change in the Vcore , just a good fan .

BTW , we need to know some stuff

1- Get cpu-z , give us all the info on it
2- Which motherboard do you use and which is the chipset ?
3- Speed of the memories , if they are 133 , 166 or 200 , or 2000 , 2700 3200
4-Which fan are you using ?
5. Download MOTHERBOARD MONITOR and give us the temps on your system

That would help to make a no risk overclock

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
PATo355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 07:13 PM   #10
PATo355
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
As mindgam3 previously mentioned, it might get HOT....ur case circulation sounds fine to me, but u might want to keep an eye on the CPU temp after OCing and run a few programs....if it gets over 50C, change ur CPU fan.

50 is not THAT hot , running at 55 at full work in an athlon wont make any problem , maybe 45 idle is a good temperature and 55 on full work , the processor wont harm at anything below 70 ( AMD says it can run safe at 85 degrees tho )

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:04 PM   #11
5vz-fe
Regular User

ops.....yeah...it's a typo there...it should be 60......

(hmm...didn't aware of what AMD quotes...thx PATo for correcting that, I don't want to give topgeartom the wrong info)
Old 09-24-2004, 12:22 AM   #12
PATo355
Regular User

ops.....yeah...it's a typo there...it should be 60......

(hmm...didn't aware of what AMD quotes...thx PATo for correcting that, I don't want to give topgeartom the wrong info)
BTW my ahtlon runs at 30 degress idle with 1.65 VCORE and 2500+ ., at 3400+ and 1.700 V core it runs at 32 degrees , so its not much difference

Old 09-24-2004, 12:40 AM   #13
5vz-fe
Regular User

30 degress? ur cooling must be masive........
Old 09-24-2004, 01:08 AM   #14
PATo355
Regular User

30 degress? ur cooling must be masive........
30 degrees celsius

No ... i use a standard medium tower with artic silver paste and a Cooler master Xdream2 as fan .

It goes from 32 34 in the day ( 27 degrees celsius this days ) to 27 29 in the nite

Old 09-24-2004, 07:53 AM   #15
topgeartom
Regular User

right an update. Just after i posted i had a crack anyway. My bios isnt that complex, and i couldnt find anything that clearly gave the indication that it was either the FSB or clock multiplyer, but there was a setting for directly changing the clock mhz. I bumped it up from 133mhz to 143mhz, and this sent my overall speed from 1.6 to 1.8 Ghz. I already had speed fan, which sense the temps, and there was only a degree change - up to 41 on a general run. I still need to know how to reset the CMOS bios, in case i really screw it up, but i think i know what i am doing enough to have a go. I really didnt have much time yesterday, but when i get home today i will have another go - just increasing it in 1 mhz increments. Also gona have a look at getting another fan, to improove the airflow over the cpu.