Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 05:35 PM   #1
lamboman3140
Regular User

Default Ford GT Recalled for defective part

Recenlty Ford has recalled there Ford GT for the problem of a defective Control arm, even Jay Leno's had to be taken back to replace the part, all the GT's are taken to replace the part and given back to there owners But get this...for the owners of the Ford GT's that were taken to be fixed in that time they were offered a loaner car...what might this loaner car be? well for the people who payed the $150000+ for the GT they get to borrow a Ford Focus for the time there GT is in the Shop. wow can u say Fucked up? at least the new Mustang GT.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:09 PM   #2
gobs3z
Regular User

Haha, well the mustang gt has that issue with the multicolor display having to possibly be recalled because some guy had already had a patent on it. Sucks to be them, and JC still hasn't received his yet, let alone been recalled. I dunno if it's worse to own and drive it for awhile and get recalled or not to own it at all yet. More on the control arm issue is here http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21448

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
Old 03-11-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
phantomfocus
Regular User

I had a talk with a Saleen reresentative at a recent auto show. For those of you who don't know, the Saleen plant in detroit is responsible for all of the the GT's final assembly. He said that they had a report of one defective control arm. Rather than chance it, all owners were notified. I believe all knew control arms are now machined, and new GT's as well as those previously sold are being fitted with the new part.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:04 PM   #4
lamboman3140
Regular User

here's a pic of the Ford GT from automobile magizen the issue with the cover story "The 200 MPH Club" with the Lamborghini Murcielago, SLR and Carrera GT
im saying that because in the pic of the back of the GT the Murcielago in in the pic.
I think this accedient may have had something to do with the faulty Control arm.

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/gt40/g...1223_002.shtml

LAMBORGHINI!
Old 03-11-2005, 07:09 PM   #5
|Nuno|
Regular User

I think this accedient may have had something to do with the faulty Control arm.
Don't think so; if I remember correctly the control arm issue only appears at a high mileage (around 100K).

However, it seems like it's not the only problem:

AMY WILSON | Automotive News
Posted Date: 2/28/05
DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. is using a time-tested but unusual repair method to fix an engine oil leak in its flagship GT sports car. It is telling dealership mechanics to install a "Speedi-Sleeve" to stop oil from leaking from the crankshaft rear seal. It is one of several fixes being prescribed for the GT when the car goes into the shop for a major suspension recall.

The sleeves have been used for decades, largely on older, high-mileage cars or those undergoing an overhaul. It's extremely unusual for them to be used by a manufacturer on a new car, sources say.

"They work, but, gosh, it shouldn't happen," one Ford dealer says. "It's highly unusual. If I were the owner of a $150,000 race car, I wouldn't be happy about it."

The engine oil leak, which is caused by an improper finish on the crankshaft, isn't a problem in all cars, Ford spokeswoman Kristen Kinley says. The crankshaft finish has been fixed for cars in production.

For vehicles with the problem, the Speedi-Sleeve will close any gaps that might allow engine oil to leak. The device is a metal band that fits over the end of the crankshaft, increasing its diameter and making a tighter fit against the seal. The Speedi-Sleeve itself is a low-cost part but requires several hours of labor to install.

Until the GT, the sleeves hadn't been used by Ford, at least in recent years, Kinley says. She says it's uncommon because Ford hasn't experienced this type of leak during that period.

While all GTs will get new suspension control arms, not all of the cars are expected to need the other repairs. In addition to two recalls, Ford has issued nine technical service bulletins and one special service message on the GT. Problems range from the leaking crankshaft seal and blemishes on seat belt webbing to a rattle in the upper steering column and leaking power steering fluid.

"All of our customers are important, but (with) this one, we're really giving them the white-glove treatment," Kinley says. "We had an issue with the control arm. We don't want to take the chance we're going to have an issue with anything else."

Ford recalled the vehicle Dec. 16, ordering owners not to drive it after a crack was discovered in a test vehicle's control arm. A recall for a fuel tank vapor leak that affected about 45 cars was issued at the same time.

Ford assembled 448 cars before the recall; 111 were in owners' possession. Thirty-five cars have been repaired. Ford resumed limited GT assembly the week of Feb. 7. Ford aims to complete the suspension recall during the next few weeks. Eight control arms in each car are being swapped out from a cast part to a forged part.