Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 05-07-2006, 04:48 PM   #1
gangajas
Regular User

Default NASCAR. How does it work?

I'm watching a NASCAR race (Talladega '06) for the first time and I don't understand how it works (It doesn't seem very complicated, but I suppose it has to have some complications). Do they go full throttle all the time? How fast they go? Are there any tactics involved?? They do anything special to overtake another car (I donīt know anything about ovals)? Why all the cars are almost identical?

Thank you
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Nascar is ghey.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:24 PM   #3
T-Bird
Regular User

Default Re: NASCAR. How does it work?

Originally Posted by gangajas
I'm watching a NASCAR race (Talladega '06) for the first time and I don't understand how it works (It doesn't seem very complicated, but I suppose it has to have some complications). Do they go full throttle all the time? How fast they go? Are there any tactics involved?? They do anything special to overtake another car (I donīt know anything about ovals)? Why all the cars are almost identical?

Thank you
pretty much full throttle all the time. they peg in the high 100's mph. tactics involve bumping the other drivers. they do drafting to pass the other racers and they try to get to the inside of the track since it is technically a shorter distance. all the cars are basically the same to make the racing more about the driver than the cars.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:25 PM   #4
bmagni
Regular User

have you ever tossed a marble in a round sink ???
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #5
saadie
Regular User

nascar dosnt require any driver skills atall .. lol ...
Old 05-07-2006, 05:33 PM   #6
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by Saadie
Hey I'm not a fan of Nascar at all but you can't honestly sit here and honestly tell me you think there is no driver skills at all required to go 150mph for hours on a track that has a bank steaper than any road course out there and be doing all this surrounded by 20 other guys all trying to get infront of you and willing to cause you to spin out if need be?
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:35 PM   #7
gangajas
Regular User

Default Re: NASCAR. How does it work?

Originally Posted by T-Bird
Originally Posted by gangajas

Thank you
pretty much full throttle all the time. they peg in the high 100's mph. tactics involve bumping the other drivers. they do drafting to pass the other racers and they try to get to the inside of the track since it is technically a shorter distance. all the cars are basically the same to make the racing more about the driver than the cars.
Thank you. My English is very bad so I don't know what drafting is. They form a queue or something like that??
Old 05-07-2006, 05:36 PM   #8
saadie
Regular User

small adjustments on the steering wheel is all you need to be good at .....
anyways .. i dont really know alot about nascar ....
Old 05-07-2006, 05:38 PM   #9
coombsie66
Regular User

The arnt flat all the time, what would be the point in that. On the smaller ovals they even have to left foot brake.
There is driver skill required but its just a different ball game.
Personally i dont like it, but you cant just totally disregard it and say there is no driver skill, there's no way anyone could just jump in one of those and do the speeds they are.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:39 PM   #10
gangajas
Regular User

Hey I'm not a fan of Nascar at all but you can't honestly sit here and honestly tell me you think there is no driver skills at all required to go 150mph for hours on a track that has a bank steaper than any road course out there and be doing all this surrounded by 20 other guys all trying to get infront of you and willing to cause you to spin out if need be?
Yes, apparently it is not very difficult, but for instance I'm sure that if a F1 driver enter NASCAR they would 'destroy' him.

P.S: I'm not saying that NASCAR is more complicated than F1 just that it requires different skills.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:42 PM   #11
saadie
Regular User

F1 drivers would rather do street racing then nascar .. they'd just get too bored lol ..
Old 05-07-2006, 05:52 PM   #12
SFDMALEX
Regular User

I can honestly sit here and tell you that there is no driver skills at all required to go 150mph for hours on a track that has a bank steaper than any road course out there and be doing all this surrounded by 20 other guys all trying to get infront of you and willing to cause you to spin out if need be.

Or more precisely me you and Joe there can do it. I say give me a weekend with a Nascar at Talladega and I can drive with moderate success. Yes Im that full of my self.

I mean common sense here. If you are capable of taking an open wheeler (something light,not talking F3 or F1) around a track with success putting down decent times then Nascar wont be hard at all.

Anyone has any track experiance could do it.

Or man just get a Nascar Sim (not some EA title, papy nascar racing 2003 for example), get your self a nice 1000$ dollar race setup and try it. Thats what a lot of the real nascar drivers use for practice actually

So do a while of that and tell me how that feels. Now the difference of moving to the real thing will be the fear factor (some people just cant overcome) of being on the treal track, the G forces invloved, and the fact that you have about 10x more input in the real thing as opposed to a 1000$ sim rig.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:57 PM   #13
coombsie66
Regular User

^^ So youve driven an open wheeler and a nascar then?
Old 05-07-2006, 05:59 PM   #14
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by coombsie66
^^ So youve driven an open wheeler and a nascar then?
Yes mate Ive driven a nascar :roll:

You always seem to misread my posts, I dunno if thats on purpose or what.

What Im saying that sport is so fucking dumb and redneck desgined that anyone with any form of automotive competition experiance can do it. As long as they dont shit their trousers from the speed and being close to a wall. Which is a tottaly different issue.

I see this nascar crap on TV every day.

They take kids out of carts and stick them into Nascar and they do well!!! weeee

15 years old kids mate.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:03 PM   #15
saadie
Regular User

^^ ... he prolly got confused just like me .... had to ead it twice ..
anwyays ..
how did you get a chance to drive a nascar .... ohh and btw ... hows the handling ... ummm cornering i mean .. did you try that ?