Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 04-17-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
thepest
Regular User

Default Would you chip your car?

So, would you or would you not chip-tune you car, if given the chance to do so?

Do you recon it's overall bad for the car (engine) or rather not, even better?

Always outnumbered, never outguned!!!
thepest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
blinkmeat
Regular User

I definitely would -- what are you looking to chip?
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
coloradosilver
Regular User

I now drive a BMW 335i coupe and have the Procede chip in it that adds about 55 hp and 75 torque to the wheels by playing with the boost, timing, injectors, air/fuel ratio, altitude consideration, and throttle response.

Absolutely no issues and I'm getting better gas mileage than before the chip was added. Couldn't be happier.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
666fast
Regular User

Depends on the chip, some suck, some don't. Do your homework. If all things say it's good, then go for it.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #5
TopGearNL
Regular User

I would, but only build in by a professional and no cheap shit..
Old 04-17-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
thepest
Regular User

Originally Posted by blinkmeat
I definitely would -- what are you looking to chip?
Nothing in particular on my mind right now. I'm asking in general, because I've heard both sides and the guys to help me make my ming are here, so..

Originally Posted by coloradosilver
I now drive a BMW 335i coupe and have the Procede chip in it that adds about 55 hp and 75 torque to the wheels by playing with the boost, timing, injectors, air/fuel ratio, altitude consideration, and throttle response.

Absolutely no issues and I'm getting better gas mileage than before the chip was added. Couldn't be happier.
That must be a hell of a ride, especially with this chip! Share your experience

Old 04-17-2007, 09:02 PM   #7
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by coloradosilver

How much leeway and freedom is built into the system? I know you know how the LSx series are truely custom tunable.

Does BMW let folks go as custom as the GM LSX's?

And in answer the OP'er. not just yes, but HELL Yeah.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:51 PM   #8
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by everso
i've got a REVO chip on the TT. it's fantastic! 40hp and 77 lb/ft gain. well worth the $500.

i highly recommend chipping, HOWEVER don't ever get a cheap ECU flash, always spend extra money and get the best one you can find. It's worth it...after all your car's ECU will be altered.
Do the Revo chips have the valet mode?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:22 PM   #9
coloradosilver
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45

How much leeway and freedom is built into the system? I know you know how the LSx series are truely custom tunable.

Does BMW let folks go as custom as the GM LSX's?
Unfortunately, there isn't much room for tuning for things like larger injectors, intake, exhaust, head work etc.... like I was able to with the C5.

The TT 3.0 in the BMW has fairly tight safe operating parameters so the tunability of the system is pretty confined. The chip that I'm using raised the peak boost by about 2.5 lbs, any more than that and things get a little unpredictable and way less reliable.

The CR is already pretty high for a turbo engine, and without replacing the internals, it's hard to run much more than about 400 hp and 420 torque at the crank without getting into the unsafe zone.

I've heard stories about the stock downpipe cracking at anything over and additional 2.5 lbs, so thats where I drew the line.

What can I say, I hated to see the Corvette go, but the BMW is a bit more reliable, more comfortable in the daily traffic that I have to sit in, and does much better in the snow than the Corvette ever would dream of. Just made sense to get it as my daily driver.

That being said, the C6 Z06 will also be in my garage by next spring.

Oh:

Ive got new rims and tires as well.

19 x 8.5 245's in front
19 x 9.5 275's in back

With the chip I'm running 0-60 in 4.57.

Will be adding the Borla exhaust system soon for a better sound and a little more power.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:35 AM   #10
Q
Regular User

best thing is Stand Alone ECU's... like Motec
Old 04-18-2007, 08:11 AM   #11
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by wackary
I just plugged in a Cobb Access Port to my STi and I think it is brilliant. aaaaaaathere are several maps available injcluding a set of real time maps I can change ont he go (i.e. valet parking, economy, top end bias, midrange bias,etc.). It is very nice. It also deciphers the check engine light codes, can be used to display realtime boost levels, coolant temp, rpm and several other bits of info.
That sounds very cool!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #12
thepest
Regular User

Originally Posted by wackary
I just plugged in a Cobb Access Port to my STi and I think it is brilliant. aaaaaaathere are several maps available injcluding a set of real time maps I can change ont he go (i.e. valet parking, economy, top end bias, midrange bias,etc.). It is very nice. It also deciphers the check engine light codes, can be used to display realtime boost levels, coolant temp, rpm and several other bits of info.
That is, indeed, pretty cool!

Old 04-18-2007, 09:30 AM   #13
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Really depends on the chip, you have to know what it actually does that alters the ECU.

But to answer the question, a chip or reprogramming the ECU is a necessity when looking for power under the hood. ECUs are programmed for economy and not peak power straight from the factory.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:03 AM   #14
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

would and have before

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:02 AM   #15
dingo
Regular User

Like I've said in previous posts, I would not just get some chip you plug in and drive off.

I want my car on a dyno and CUSTOM tuned to match it and the mods that have been done. Not some generic map that throw on because they think each Evo/STi/whatever is the same.

Ecutek1 and 2 are an example of something I wouldnt get, Tek3 is a custom tune so much better.