Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 04-16-2004, 10:19 PM   #1
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

Default HELP!!! COMPUTER CRASH!!! :(

Dudes....I need some help!....my computer crashed and I have no fucking idea what to do...since I know there are a few computer geeks around JW(myself included) I'm asking for help here...

Everytime I start the computer...WinXP starts to load...after the loading screen appears...the blue scree of death comes up and gives me this message ..."UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DRIVE"...along with a bunch of crap....and then nothing happens....

I tried accessing it from DOS with a boot disk...I write C: and it says access my D: drive inseat of the C:...I disconnected the secondary HD...and when I type C: it says Invalid Drive....

PLEASE...someone help me...I need to get the info out of the HD...I have some ''very'' important stuff in there...along with my music and video collections....fuck I'm so pissed :x

ANY ideas are more than appreciated...

"You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars" -Enzo Ferrari to Ferruccio Lamborghini...
Chaos in 1983! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 11:51 PM   #2
crazidude
Regular User

Did you plug it in? (had to ask that)

You can try using a different IDE cable to see if it makes a difference.
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 04:58 AM   #3
TT
Regular User

Dang it sucks! And of course I have no fucking clue about a solution I really hope the drive is still there with all the info still stored in it!
Old 04-17-2004, 05:23 AM   #4
N.J.
Regular User

Take your PC down to a computer store and get them to have a look at it for you.

(Because you don't want to bugger around too much and lose everything for good )

p.s

ALWAYS have a backup - ie. I keep all my important stuff on CDs.
N.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 06:26 PM   #5
Jabba
Regular User

Hey thamar I know someone that wants to add a second HD to their computer...they have bought the drive but are still a little bit worried about starting the job...even though they are very smart and I have guided them through it a hundred times...they still need a little push...

Can you confirm to them how straight forward it should be ??? (they will be reading this post I am sure)
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 06:27 PM   #6
TT
Regular User

Did you really think you could post w/o me noticing? :roll:
Old 04-17-2004, 06:28 PM   #7
PATo355
Regular User

Chaos i had the same problem in my pc , i have IDE1 with an HD and a CDROM as slave , some day it gave me the same problem , i unplugged the CDrom and now it works ok

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
PATo355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 06:30 PM   #8
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
Did you really think you could post w/o me noticing? :roll:
Well I hoped you would believe thamar...he is very clever indeed.
Old 04-17-2004, 06:32 PM   #9
TT
Regular User

I know very well I believe you and I will believe him and I would even trust geekdiggy
It's just a terrible lack of motivation and the fact that I never did something barely similar... -> scared
Old 04-17-2004, 06:37 PM   #10
Jabba
Regular User

There is always the first time for everything TT.... and you have some incredible back up support from some really clever people on JW.
Old 04-17-2004, 06:38 PM   #11
graywolf624
Regular User

"1 your MBR is fucked up (master boot record)
2 your partition table is fucked up
3 your harddisk is fucked up "

And 4... virus!

lol

"Can you confirm to them how straight forward it should be ??? (they will be reading this post I am sure)"

set the jumper on the back of the hard drive to slave. Un plug the computer. Open the box up and insert harddrive in a slot.. Hook ide or scsi cable in. reclose computer. replug in computer. Turn it on. If it doesnt detect it automatically(usually does) then you will have to go into the bios and set second ide to auto detect.

*I spent a year as a pc technician when after the internet stock market drop.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 06:40 PM   #12
TT
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba
There is always the first time for everything TT.... and you have some incredible back up support from some really clever people on JW.
It's the "no net" moment that scares me. If I would be able to keep a window opened in MSN or whatver for live support I would do it right now
Old 04-17-2004, 06:41 PM   #13
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
"set the jumper on the back of the hard drive to slave. Un plug the computer. Open the box up and insert harddrive in a slot.. Hook ide or scsi cable in. reclose computer. replug in computer. Turn it on. If it doesnt detect it automatically(usually does) then you will have to go into the bios and set second ide to auto detect.

*I spent a year as a pc technician when after the internet stock market drop.
Sound familiar TT ???
Old 04-17-2004, 06:43 PM   #14
TT
Regular User

I could probably to the whole thing even in the dark and with just my left hand... but to be all alone is terrible if something goes wrong I have no way to be helped untill I will be able to come back online

But hell, this is not a topic about how dumb and scared TT is it's about Chaos' PC
Old 04-17-2004, 06:45 PM   #15
Jabba
Regular User

You can always plug your old HD back in then come back and tell us what went wrong...even though I know nothing will....