Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

View Poll Results: Can money buy you happiness?
Yes 43 62.32%
No 26 37.68%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2003, 07:41 PM   #1
Nemisis8u
Regular User

Default Can money buy you happiness? Please Post.

I’m doing an essay for English and need your help. I just want to know what you guys think. This is the perfect place to ask because there are a lot of different age groups. So please vote and drop me a quick line. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Nemisis8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 07:47 PM   #2
TT
Regular User

That's a classic question and I think 90% of us had to answer it while at school, in whatever language
Of course to answer in my own mother language would be easier, so in english I have to be pretty simple and short, to avoid going out of track

But basically, with the question as it is, my simple answer is "YES". Obviously you can throw yourself into a long and terrible discussion about the meaning of happiness, its psicological meaning and so on... but to stay with the feet well planted on the ground, basically yes, money can buy happiness for the average guy/gal... of course if there are major problems in the background, think about bad illness or other sad things, well, money can be as useless as many other things and only feelings, love and friendship will be able to help, but as I said, for the average guy, money can buy a nice car -> happiness, money can buy you marvellous trips around the world -> happiness
money can buy you the things you need/want -> happiness

To sum it up: "yes"
Old 10-30-2003, 07:54 PM   #3
Nemisis8u
Regular User

Thnx a lot, somehow I knew that yours will be the first post .

"Well, we don't care how bad-ass some dude's naturally aspirated Honda S2000 motor is; if you go up against 900-plus pushrod ponies and 750 pounds of earth-shaking torque with a wrong-wheel-drive econobox, you're gonna get a fast and furious old-school ass-whipping."
-=Car Craft=-
Old 10-30-2003, 08:14 PM   #4
TT
Regular User

Yeh, it's not only for the vids topics as you can see

That's just that I like to read (and have to) everything that's going on at JW and if I have something to say, BANG, post!
Old 10-30-2003, 08:27 PM   #5
Johns
Regular User

IMO
If u werent born rich and u get rich= yes
If u were born rich = no
Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 08:35 PM   #6
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Can money buy you happiness? Defenetly. With the way my life is now, money can bring me a lot of happines. Money can buy me things that I want, like some Ferraris and Porshces. Money can buy me and my friends a trip to Maranello. All these things bring happiness.

We spend 90% of our lifes, learning how to make money, and actually making money. Why do we do this? Because we need money. Why do we need money? To survive and have fun when we retire.

And think about these scenarios, which one will make you happier?

1 Your broke, you got to pay rent in few days and your on your way to becoming bankrupt.

2. You got a lot of money, your rent is fine and your out of debt with the bank.

Whats common in these two scenarios? Money. Which scenario is better? Then one with more money involved.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 08:51 PM   #7
BADMIHAI
Regular User

NO FUCKING WAY! NO MOTHERFUCKING WAY! True happyines does not come from material things!
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 09:01 PM   #8
TT
Regular User

Yeh true... but try to think about it a little more.. money doesn't delete all the rest.. it adds up...
Old 10-30-2003, 09:17 PM   #9
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by BADMIHAI
NO FUCKING WAY! NO MOTHERFUCKING WAY! True happyines does not come from material things!
What does it come from then? Living in the ghetto and being loved by someone?

Maybe there are multiple defenetions of happines but my'n doesnt say that you dont need money to be happy.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 09:32 PM   #10
Nemisis8u
Regular User

These are great. Thnx a lot guys, keep them coming.

"Well, we don't care how bad-ass some dude's naturally aspirated Honda S2000 motor is; if you go up against 900-plus pushrod ponies and 750 pounds of earth-shaking torque with a wrong-wheel-drive econobox, you're gonna get a fast and furious old-school ass-whipping."
-=Car Craft=-
Old 10-30-2003, 10:04 PM   #11
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

I think it does, I mean give me enough for a few ferraris, and enough to mantain them, to be able to party every fucking night of the week without having to think about the bill, to be able to travel around the world and say dude I won't be able to party this saturday becasue I'll be in Maranello picking up my new Enzo!....sure I'd be jumping from happiness.

"You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars" -Enzo Ferrari to Ferruccio Lamborghini...
Chaos in 1983! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 11:06 PM   #12
hemi_fan
Regular User

I believe yes, material objects can bring plenty of happiness into ones life. Although money cant buy love (usually)

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 11:14 PM   #13
f0racer
Regular User

A quote from billionaire Donald Trump - "Money cant' buy true happiness, but it does help."
f0racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 11:29 PM   #14
stracing
Regular User

Originally Posted by hemi_fan
I believe yes, material objects can bring plenty of happiness into ones life. Although money cant buy love (usually)
you can buy a lot of sex though hehe

i say yes, at least i won't have any financial worries.
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 12:10 AM   #15
volvoman

do you think trumo is happy, he'll never have a person that loves him for him. sure having sex with those models is nice but he'll ask, "was i good in bed" and she'll say with dolar signs in her eyes, "the best donald!!!" -->is that happiness?

sure you'll be able to buy all the cars you want but that will spoil you. how much more happiness will a ferrari get, how long will that last? then after you have the ferrar, what else? you buy more? what about friends, you will never have real friends again, no matter what you think. even old good friends will be your friends cuz they know they can leech off of your riches. -->is that happiness??

you'll have a real hard time finding a wife to share your happiness with. how will see through your money to find the real you? you'll be a lonely person in your ferrari or other car. you'll also risk woman tryin to get pregnant by you to get money for their child and themselves. look at rolling stones' mcjagger, perfect example. he has to pay money to some bitch he dont want to be with for some kid he never wanted. ---->is that happiness??

true happiness is long lasting, working at a job you love to go to, marrying someone that has you walking on air, if you want them, having kids and raising them to be great adults. what most of you r talkin about is pleasure. pleasure is not long lasting, driving a car, whatever it is, is pleasure, sex with any woman you want and lasting as long as you can is pleasure, being able to buy anything you want is pleasure, that will get old too.

i vote for no, of course its great to have nice things and have tons of money but in the end you are better off without it. finding true happiness in life is a greater wealth than any dollar amount.