Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 02-12-2004, 03:05 PM   #16
draak666
Regular User

I didn't mean that in a racist way either. Of course western countries are also to blame because they have been imposing their culture on Africa for years.

RC45, just out of curiosity: What's the image of Belgium you have? Don't hold back. I'm just curious, that's all.
draak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 03:59 PM   #17
scubywrxr
Regular User

^ITs nice to see u and rc45 have a rather in depth understanding of each other brembo
scubywrxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 04:11 PM   #18
draak666
Regular User

LOL, as long as we understand each other...
draak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 04:31 PM   #19
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by BADMIHAI
These are the people that are now free, but can't get a proper job (because racism still exists in S.A., .
If by this statement you mean "reverse discrimination" - i.e. whites don't qualify for anything anymore, then you are correct.

You are poorly informed if you think otherwise.

The worst demographic to be (as in having the most oportunities denied you, or having the most legislation not in your favour) is a white male - while the best demographic (in terms of having work and other opportunities made available) is to be female and black.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 05:10 PM   #20
BADMIHAI
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
These are the people that are now free, but can't get a proper job (because racism still exists in S.A., .
If by this statement you mean "reverse discrimination" - i.e. whites don't qualify for anything anymore, then you are correct.

You are poorly informed if you think otherwise.

The worst demographic to be (as in having the most oportunities denied you, or having the most legislation not in your favour) is a white male - while the best demographic (in terms of having work and other opportunities made available) is to be female and black.

I never knew that. Thanks for the info. It seems S.A. has changed alot in the last 20 years.
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 08:00 PM   #21
RC45
Regular User

I never knew that. Thanks for the info. It seems S.A. has changed alot in the last 20 years.
More than you know - I have learned in the last 9 years, that the good 'ol USA is far more racist than South Africa is - and this is the worst kind - the unlegislated, social racism.

As an example, last I remember, your race (within the South African context) was a non-issue... in otherwords, on an application form, there would probably not even be a reference to your race or ethnic origin - and if there were - answering would be optional.

hen I got married in the good 'ol US of A - I was oliged to, on the marriage license, fill out my race - as did my wife have to... I specifically asked if I could opt out of answering the question (as I feel it is unneeded racist gathering demographic info) and was told it was a LEGAL REQUIREMENT - Interesing... a legal requirement to classify oneself on an official document?

That, my friends, by definition is racism. (apartheid).

But that is not the part that offended me the most - the part where I, as a white person only had to check off White on the list was pretty offensive... BUT

Where my wife, not only had to select Hispanic - she also had to indicate her percentage of Hispanicness, if applicable?

WTF is up with that.... she has 2 children from a previous marriage - and there dad was a pure white - there for she had to indicate on the form the percentage Hispanicness/whiteness of her kids...

It gets better - because their father was white, and their mother was Hispanic, they are considered 3/4 White and 1/4 Hispanic - had there father been Hispanic and mother White - the percenatges would have been reversed...

And it gets YET better - you then reduce your Whiteness or Hispanicness in the 1/8ths - so if you intermarry the right - or wrong way, depending on your views - you, according to the US Governement, change your race...

My quesiton is and always was very simple... at what point do you simply become simply an AMERICAN.... and the answer - when you are 100% White.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:58 PM   #22
monabonejakon2002
Regular User

There is no such thing as reverse discrimination.

All the wealth (in SA or the USA) is held by white males. When there is a power or wealth shift, then talk about discrimination.

and south africa is a dump (to be more specific, JHB). I hated living there. Most of the people were cool though.
Racism is very prevelant. I will agree with one of the other posts which claimed that the USA is the more racist. Might not show it, but sure feel it.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:09 PM   #23
BADMIHAI
Regular User

My quesiton is and always was very simple... at what point do you simply become simply an AMERICAN.... and the answer - when you are 100% White.
Move to Canada. Here you are first South African (or Spanish or Italian or Polish or whatever the fuck you want to be) and then Canadian. And nobody gives a fuck about it! It's the most tolerant place I've ever been in.
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 01:32 AM   #24
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by monabonejakon2002
There is no such thing as reverse discrimination.
Pretty ignorant statement.

There very much is reverse discrimination.

If there wasnt then my sister would have had no need to spend 2 years working as an english teacher in Taiwan - because although a very degreed and qualified teacher - the job offers in and around Cape Town were not for her demographic.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:09 AM   #25
monabonejakon2002
Regular User

Don't forget it was the opposite way for a very long time. One can't simply level the playing field when it was slanted for so long.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:44 AM   #26
RC45
Regular User

Don't forget it was the opposite way for a very long time. One can't simply level the playing field when it was slanted for so long.
This debate is for another day - during which time a lot would need to be discussed.... the next thing you will say is for cash to be paid to peoples for land stolen 500 years previously.... :roll:
Old 02-13-2004, 02:15 PM   #27
monabonejakon2002
Regular User

No. But money should be poured into creating better facilities (like schools) in certain areas.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:33 PM   #28
RC45
Regular User

No. But money should be poured into creating better facilities (like schools) in certain areas.
You need to let the various local, provincial and nationwide government officials know that - the same ones awarding themselves fat contracts and pay raises for managing the redistribution of what little is left.

Yes my friend - corruption is rife in the "new improved" government as well - so let's not get too carried away with waving the finger at the common folks.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:34 PM   #29
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

More than you know - I have learned in the last 9 years, that the good 'ol USA is far more racist than South Africa is - and this is the worst kind - the unlegislated, social racism.

As an example, last I remember, your race (within the South African context) was a non-issue... in otherwords, on an application form, there would probably not even be a reference to your race or ethnic origin - and if there were - answering would be optional.

hen I got married in the good 'ol US of A - I was oliged to, on the marriage license, fill out my race - as did my wife have to... I specifically asked if I could opt out of answering the question (as I feel it is unneeded racist gathering demographic info) and was told it was a LEGAL REQUIREMENT - Interesing... a legal requirement to classify oneself on an official document?

That, my friends, by definition is racism. (apartheid).

But that is not the part that offended me the most - the part where I, as a white person only had to check off White on the list was pretty offensive... BUT

Where my wife, not only had to select Hispanic - she also had to indicate her percentage of Hispanicness, if applicable?

WTF is up with that.... she has 2 children from a previous marriage - and there dad was a pure white - there for she had to indicate on the form the percentage Hispanicness/whiteness of her kids...

It gets better - because their father was white, and their mother was Hispanic, they are considered 3/4 White and 1/4 Hispanic - had there father been Hispanic and mother White - the percenatges would have been reversed...

And it gets YET better - you then reduce your Whiteness or Hispanicness in the 1/8ths - so if you intermarry the right - or wrong way, depending on your views - you, according to the US Governement, change your race...

wow...this was pretty interesting...I agree with RC all the way..why should race be a factor when getting a job ap?

"You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars" -Enzo Ferrari to Ferruccio Lamborghini...
Chaos in 1983! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 04:55 PM   #30
scubywrxr
Regular User

^ITs amazing the way they specify the fractions of ethnicity and it reverses depending on wether the white folk is ur mum or dad :shock: I thought that we had it bad in SA.. the best one being used at the mo is affirmative action, were previously disadvantaged who lack the proper training or technical skills are given positions that they can be very dangerous in! I agree with increasing the opportunities, but the education must start from the begininning at 5-6 years of age and then excel through the ranks. Not to be spoon fed authority and wealth... its the same old story again.. only problem is its the other end of the coin :roll:

Its shocking how every conflict or problem that arises, the race card is thrown down, as if its trump and will explain all the problems - its jsut too sad and unfortunately, with man and his inherent clannish mentality and self preservation this will take for ever to sort out. I am just lucky that I work in an environment were people are highly tolerant of each other... for now...
scubywrxr is offline   Reply With Quote