Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2004, 10:29 AM   #1
topgeartom
Regular User

Default Wanted. Idiots guide to overclocking, or help from member

Right, basically i want to overclock my processor. I bought a relatively base spec computer about 1.5 years ago, that was brill at the time, but now, little old me wants more. I have upgraded it over time with more RAM - it now has 1gig. I have put in a new graphics card, and have bought myself a decent soundcard, the only thing left for me to do, to make it up-to-date is a new processor, however, processors are £100+ and at the moment (and for the forseeable future) i have precisely £0. You dont need a calculator to realise im fucked when it comes to getting a new one, so i could do with OVERCLOCKING my current one.

My processor is an AMD athlon XP2000+ @ 1662mhz. Now, while i do not hope to achieve anywhere near Jabba-like speeds, i would like to know if somewhere near2ghz is possible.

There are two main issues though:

1) I have no knowledge of overclocking.
2) At the moment my cooling consits of one fan sucking air in on the case, and another over my cpu - and there is the one inside the PSU.

While i may be able to bribe an extra fan or two from my mother - cash flow is likeely to remain at zero.

{edit} I could do with knowing how to reset CMOS bios (or something similar) in case i fuck up.

Any help would be appreciated

Ta,
Tom