Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2005, 03:18 AM   #1
nthfinity
Regular User

Default Test drive 05 Stang GT, and 350z cabriolet

i encouraged all who are able to
today, i drove my first 5 speed 05 GT... and it definately is the best Mustang ever ... a lot of the magazines hit the feel of the car pretty dead on; but ill add a few of my own comments

right from the time i shut the door, i could feel this car as being more solid, as it didnt reverbarate through the structure. turn in resistance is gone, where the SN95 had chassis flexing before agreeing to turn. this makes the pony car feel much more agile, and sure footed when entering turns.

there was no annoying creeking, or bending noises from the plasticy interior... but i wouldnt expect any from a new car. the interior feels very nastalgic to the 60's original, as quite plain forward simplicity to it all... nothing to confuse the driver, but... not exactly aimed towarred the driver. the air vents have to be the easiest to use i have ever seen... and look fine open, or closed.

in Michigan, this time of year, pot holes are everywhere, and the mustang remained sure footed on these uneven, terrible surfaces... even carrying the live rear axle. the high tire profile maintains the car is comportable to drive on these roads... but that is something i could live without

the worst things i can nit pic out of this car are the seats... there is nowhere near enough side bolstering. i feel like im sliding all over my seat in my Jeep, not in a sports car. they look fine, but arent for people who love corners... thankfully, the center console and door keep you reletively centered. next in the order of poor feel would be the steering feel... but cirtainly not sensativity. the car reacts to slight movements with confidence. so weighting isnt the best also, it would be more convienent to have telescoping/tilting rather then just a tilting colum to optimise a driving position.

so basically, you would have to drive by the seat of your pants at the limit, but only able to do it well if you bought aftermarket seats that held you in place better.

and to finish; the best things about the new GT
the Engine! not only is everything under the hood easily accessable; plugs/belt/ valve covers etc. but it looks more aggressive then the 260 hp SOHC 2 valve 4.6 last year. throttle response is spectacular, and blips right to the rev you were looking for an easy downshift. the clutch is easy, the gearbox feels quite mechanical, and the shift pattern has a great location for great shifting with confidence.

downshift to second, and full throttle puts a smile on my face like i havent had since i drove a corvette last spring! i have a feeling this engine is under rated at 300 hp/ 320 ft lbs. and i have no problem believing a 5.1 second sprint to 60 mph where 3rd gear takes you to 110+mph with continued power right up near redline (i was near 5200 to 5300 i think... before peak power output) Braking is good, but there is too much dive IMO... i would gess that causes a few feet of extra distance, and less stability of the rear end under turning, i would guess. from what i have read, this is a trade off between mac. strut suspension, and ride compfort.

And the sound! there is no american car in stock form that sounds this good! right from idle, right through the entire rev band! the closest thing i can describe it as is a barritone growel... downshifting and braking exhorts a more snarly sound just itching to sing once more. except for long jurneys, i think i would never listen to the stereo... so id definately pass opting for the premium sound system, as i would deem it mostly useless.

cirtainly a car i strongly concider buying in a few months time