Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Television and Movies > Top Gear Discussion > The Cool Wall

The Cool Wall Our version of the cool wall.. you decide what's cool and what's not - view the results HERE

View Poll Results: Honda NSX
subzero 41 45.05%
cool 31 34.07%
uncool 14 15.38%
seriously uncool 5 5.49%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2006, 11:55 PM   #16
sameerrao
Regular User

Cool car! It would have been a near sub-zero for me if this poll was conducted in 1990. This car like the Lexus LS400 shook the establishment when it first came out. It made the Ferrari 348 and Porsche 964 seem very primitive by comparison.

It was perhaps the first all-aluminium supercar with chassis tuning by Ayrton Senna himself. I think the NSX was a fabulous looking as well - it still turns heads today - partly because of its exotic shape and also because of its relative rarity.

I've driven a friends 1992 NSX a few years back. It was the first gen car w/o power steering. The car was a bit heavy to manouevre at parking speeds but the steering was pin sharp once you got to normal road speeds. The shifter was faster and smoother than anything I have ever driven till date.

History hasnt looked too kindly to NSXs. Given the choice of a 1990 NSX, the Ferrari 348 or the Porsche 911 enthusiasts will lather over the last two cars and ignore the poor NSX.

The NSX was a phenomenal car that had only one thing wrong with it - the Honda badge. It was perhaps a bit too easy to drive and live with on a day to day basis. Lot of people got bored with it as it was missing that fear factor and exoticness.

Honda was also to blame for not sufficiently updating the NSX over the years. The 1990 car had a similar power to weight ratio of a 348 then. But the last gen NSX got a paltry 20hp increase while a Modena was 100hp more powerful with significant aero improvements over the year.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote