Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2004, 06:19 PM   #11
Gnome
Regular User

Originally Posted by jon_s
Originally Posted by coloradosilver
170 in a SAAB? I'm not saying that it didn't happen, but how stable could that car be at that speed? That had to be more of a question of driver guts than car capability!!

:shock: :shock:
It was pretty stable, not as stable as a sports car obviously, but the suspension and downforce have been changed to help. The car has only hit that speed twice in its life, once with me behind the wheel, and once with my dad. It really was at top speed, we could not have got 1 more rpm out of it lol. As you say it is not really designed for 170mph, we had it tuned to hit 155 easily. In fact its 0-60 is slightly slower than standard due to the gearing.
I have no problem believing that a SAAB 9-5 Aero is stable at 272km/h (170 mph). The standard Aero has a top speed of 240 km/h (150 mph). Even though those last 32 km/h makes a lot of difference at that speed, SAAB wouldn't be satisfied with a safety margin that small. After all SAAB aims at a sporty but sensible image.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote