Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 03-10-2004, 03:22 AM   #31
vincentq4
Regular User

Originally Posted by stracing
i've only owned japanese cars..nuff said 8)
Then you only drive it to work..at the speed limit?
I know enough to know that it doesnt matter what you drive if it is driven as a "drivers" car then it is not that reliable...and even a civic is not good on gas when you plant the pedal...in the case of the civic you have to plant it longer..because it takes longer to get there. Unless it has money into the engine.....but then it still would compromise reliability and gas mileage.

The only reason I posted is that your statement is bold as well. I do agree that the engineering is typically better in an import, but, that is the nineties track record and domestics are rising to the challenge and producing better cars....did you know that buick had just as good or even better reliability history than anything on the roads?

For the record...I want to get a 1986 Corolla GTS with a TRD developed engine for road-track racing.
vincentq4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 01:18 PM   #32
espen
Regular User

Drive a 97 Golf TDI. Have killed a MAF with a K&N filter, other than that 100% reliable. Really boring, not egen a puncture. I hav the oil changed at 5k and get every service at the local dealer (though I pay a good friend mechanic for that, not the extortionate prices they normally demand).
espen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:00 PM   #33
sameerrao
Regular User

My 2001 Audi S4 has held up well so far. About the only thing I had done was get the moonroof tracks and a cracked windshield washer reservoir both replaced under warranty. Also got the front windows re-lubricated as it was squeaking a bit.

Other than that the car has been troublefree... touch wood ....

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:16 PM   #34
ChrisAW11
Regular User

The Porsche was pretty much trouble free and my sister doesn't have many serious problems with it either. Now the MR2 is a different animal... When I got my spark plugs out last weekend, I've seen they were full of oil, and really full of oil, not just some oily remains, but soaking in it. Now that does point to something really serious...they still fired all cylinders, but I will bring it to a workshop this week..

Torque is relative, power is not.

I have the bad habit of writing and thinking simultaneously - please bear with me when I edit that mess afterwards!

Please vote on Europe!!!
Europe needs YOUR Vote!!!
ChrisAW11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 02:29 AM   #35
mrzonda
Regular User

I bought my 85 BMW 325e with 370ish,000 kms and have put on another 20,000 or so, and do you know what my biggest problem has been? the radio turns from am to fm on its own, and the am doesn't pick up the signals very well. the only other issue is a problem with the wiring to the rear power windows. im hopefully going to fix that soon. but ya, my car starts up everyday with no problems.
mrzonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 04:56 PM   #36
dexstruh
Regular User

Might sound odd, but the only time my Triumph TR8 let me down was once the rotor button failed. I spent a lot of time figuring that out - started with the complex stuff like fuel pumps and inertia switches until it whittled down to a USD 6 part... :roll:
dexstruh is offline   Reply With Quote