Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 06-16-2004, 01:21 PM   #16
TT
Regular User

Are the roads really as good as they look
Hehe, I basically live into the Alps (well, very close anyway), and yes, there are some fin, and I mean FINE roads and apline passes spread all over them in winter sadly most of them are closed, but in this period of the year it is a blast to drive through the Alps for sure
Old 06-16-2004, 01:26 PM   #17
RC45
Regular User

Great pictures and great trip. Looks awesome, and those are the roads to drive.

Y'all sure are quick to slam the fa40 owners for using the handicapped spots - but how do you know they didn't just pull them in there for the photoshoot - or that the hotel was full and those were the only spots left - or, God forbid, they chose to park near the entrance to let the staff keep an eye on their cars.

But I guess it is much easier and controversial to just assume they are assholes for using the handicapped spots... :roll:
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 01:29 PM   #18
TT
Regular User

Well for sure it could be just for the pics, the only way to put them together for it... but even if it's just for 2 minutes for luggages or such, you simply can't park in such spots if you are not handicapped... it's irrespectfull and usually when an handicapped person finds his spot taken the excuse he usually get is always "oh it was just for a quick errand.. it was the only free spot..." hehe well, who cares... even if one of those spots were the ONLY free one in the whole Europe, if you don't qualify, you don't park there...
Old 06-16-2004, 02:20 PM   #19
Erez
Regular User

Location: not where i want to be.. but life's a bitch i guess..

8) great stuff!
but the 3 F40's pic must be posted in higher res! :shock:

Things worth having don't come easy..
Erez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 05:07 PM   #20
SilviaEvo
Regular User

lucky ass handicapped rich people!!!
Old 06-16-2004, 06:07 PM   #21
astonmartinandy
Regular User

Originally Posted by TT
Are the roads really as good as they look
Hehe, I basically live into the Alps (well, very close anyway), and yes, there are some fin, and I mean FINE roads and apline passes spread all over them in winter sadly most of them are closed, but in this period of the year it is a blast to drive through the Alps for sure
Do you have any photos of the roads through the alps? I only ask becuase I end up driving across to Wales for the best roads near me, and even then I only encounter bloody sheep! Meanwhile I am still yet to experience the legendary Stelvio Pass or other roads in through the mountains!
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
astonmartinandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 06:15 PM   #22
TT
Regular User

Sadly not because usually when I cross the Alps I'm always in a hurry, and although I can still enjoy the drive, I rarely (read never), stop before reaching my destination... but next tme I will go to my parents I will take some pics of the "Nüfenen", a VERY good and very long pass I really like

some nice swiss alps sceneries -> http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...=181304#181304
Old 06-17-2004, 03:57 AM   #23
rob_e1
Regular User

Andy - yes the roads ARE fantastic. My folks live in snowdonia so i know a lot of the great roads there. Alps is like this x 10 in terms of quality and number of roads and we certainly found them very lightly traffic'd - unlike north wales in the summer

If any one wants a higher res of any of the pics just let me know.

Link for Route Napoleon http://www.beyond.fr/sites/rtnapol.html
Link for Routes des Grandes Alpes: http://www.routedesgrandesalpes.com/...home/index.php

To be honest, some of the grandes alpes roads were too small to have fun on with anything bigger than a bike or a caterham - although 1st gear 180 degree hairpins are fun, you DO actually get bored with them after several hours... and you end up longing for some more open roads (of which there are plenty!). Get a michelin 989 map and head for anything that has a green line down the side - this is a "scenic" road - alternatively just go for anything that looks squiggly

The other point i'd like to make though is that you DON'T need a supercar to have fun on these roads. Any good handling hatch (clio /gti etc) would be a blast too. These roads are NOT about high speed - that was later he he..

The F40's were i believe INVITED to park in the blue spaces by the hotel guy as there were no handicapped guests at the hotel.

cheers
Rob
rob_e1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 07:08 AM   #24
stradale
Regular User

Great pictures, Rob! Not only due to the wonderful Esprit and F40s in it, but just as well due to the fantastic scenery. I'd love to make a trip like that with a similar car one day.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:27 AM   #25
astonmartinandy
Regular User

Great pictures thanks very much guys! I know what you mean about North Wales in "Summer". Then again I still think the roads around Wales are pretty breathtaking, nothing in comparison with the Alps though!
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
astonmartinandy is offline   Reply With Quote