Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 12-14-2004, 05:41 PM   #1
pyre2099
Regular User

Default 1990 Buick LeSabre problem

On my way home from work today, I noticed that when I put on my left turn signal it just stays on and doesn't blink. After I was driving for a while and the car had warmed up, I turned the car off and on again, thinking that since it was warm, it would get reset, its pretty cold here, but that didn't. I was wondering what the cause of this might be, and how I can fix it. Thanks.
pyre2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 06:26 PM   #2
TransAm
Regular User

It sounds like one of your turn signal bulbs has gone (blown)

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 06:56 PM   #3
pyre2099
Regular User

The bulb didnt blow, the light stays on, but does not blink on and off like it should.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:06 PM   #4
ZfrkS62
Regular User

does the right signal do it too? if so you probably have a fused flasher relay.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:29 PM   #5
pyre2099
Regular User

No, the right signal works fine, although, I would check that out, but don't know what it is.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:52 PM   #6
ZfrkS62
Regular User

no, if the right one works fine, i would say your flasher is fine. there may be a connection problem between the turn sgnal switch, and the bulb.

the way the turn signals flash, is by running amperage through a bimetal strip that distorts when it gets hot, and returns to its original form when cool

___ ---------------------> ---------------------------> /
: : cool until amperage courses through it --> : : (exagerrated but you get the idea) it pretty much acts as a circuit breaker. (this is the popping/clicking noise you hear with the turn signals on)

If there is too much resistance going through the left circuit, then there won't be enough amperage to heat the metal strip and make it break the circuit, then the light will constantly stay on.

Check the following: connector at the light bulbs for burn marks/pitting of the metal contacts; the bulb itself for the same condition. If you can get to it, thech the connector to the switch as well for the same issues. also look for any form of corrosion on the contacts.

if everything there looks good, use the schematic to figure out which pins on the switch you need to check for excessive resistance. (i would say no more than .2ohms through the switch contacts. any more and replace the switch)

hope it helps. i haven't had to mess with on of these cars since i was in high school

Old 12-14-2004, 11:00 PM   #7
pyre2099
Regular User

Ill check that stuff as best I can, and if I cant find anything wrong, I'll prolly just check out some mechanics that are right by where I work.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:04 PM   #8
ZfrkS62
Regular User

chances are it's going to be something simple. my money is on the switch.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:08 PM   #9
pyre2099
Regular User

Just a little update, the signal actually does work, just is really slow, now it blinks once for what should be every like 10-15 times, and when I turn the hazard lights on, it blinks like normal.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:29 PM   #10
Vansquish
Regular User

LOL...my best buddy has a 1991 Buick Regal (it's the same turn signal unit) and he has this funny problem that when he wants to turn left and put his signal on he has to flip the stalk up and down to flash the signal because if he just puts it down then the light won't blink, but just stays on. Not sure what to suggest to fix it, but it's the same problem no doubt.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 11:37 PM   #11
ZfrkS62
Regular User

i would say find out how much the switch is and just replace it. you probably found a lesser burnt spot on the contacts.

if you don't have the ash to replace it, try spraying some contact enhancer in the switch and let it set. see if that helps it temporarily.