Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 03-08-2005, 03:18 PM   #16
mindgam3
Regular User

2 qualifying sessions, 1 hot lap per driver at each qualifying session

Add times from the 2 sessions together...

Fastest time gets pole, not that difficult
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 03:25 PM   #17
ZfrkS62
Regular User

ah, ok. i didn't get to watch qualy and hadn't followed any of the rule changes in the off season. thanks mindgam3

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:36 AM   #18
SPEEDCORE
Regular User

This years qualifying at melb was the worst yet, DC is 100% correct.

They sooo badly need to go back to the old 12lap in 60mins system, it makes it fair, Fishi got pole cause he was lucky with the weather not cause he was the fastest.

The old system u were on the edge of the seat for the whole hr now u barely awake for 2mins.

Resign MAx RESIGN!!!!!!
SPEEDCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:02 AM   #19
mindgam3
Regular User

Yeah but as I said, with last years quali system, the result would have been almost exactly the same....

The problem with the 12 lap, 1 hour quali is that there was always a lot of waiting around until the last 15/20 minutes
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:17 AM   #20
|Nuno|
Regular User

Originally Posted by mindgam3
The problem with the 12 lap, 1 hour quali is that there was always a lot of waiting around until the last 15/20 minutes
Yeah, but they could do like this:

12 laps : 3 (in, out and hot lap) = 4 attempts

60 minutes : 4 = 15 minutes

So it would be kinda like 4 mini sessions, in which each driver had to make at least one attempt. And they could as well put a 5 minutes break for commercials between session 2 and 3.

And this would be done in low fuel and with 2 sets of tyres availiable; the tyres would have to be the same (compound wise) as the ones used in the Race. Also, the last tyres used in Qualy would have to make it to the Race. This would leave space for different strategies:

Use both sets just on Qualy, or use only one set on the Qualy and start the Race with fresh tyres.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:18 AM   #21
phantomfocus
Regular User

I can't see the FIA allowing this pulling off business to continue much further than the next race. But as far as the qualifying goes, if the weather is perfect, it can work ok. But I agree with most of you that the old 1 hour format was the way to go. Although the blocking nonsense did get a little out of hand if you remember correctly.
phantomfocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:17 PM   #22
tekwar
Regular User

I miss the days when the fastest man and machine got pole position. Plain, easy and simple. Not the recent qualifying which is done to give the minnow teams equal air time for their sponsors, Its just stupid and in most cases not even worth watching anymore.
tekwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:21 PM   #23
No.1
Regular User

Yeah but as I said, with last years quali system, the result would have been almost exactly the same....

Who says you have to watch the first 40/45mins. That was the highlight of race weekend for me. The mad rush as the track filled with the whole grid 8)
Old 03-10-2005, 01:40 AM   #24
SPEEDCORE
Regular User

Not really unless it rained. Sure the most action happens the last 15mins but more cars on the track the more problems with lap traffic which can spoil the lap. They would still have some early laps.

Current situation its still the same thou, the last drivers get the fast times(pending weather), the rest will be struggling.
SPEEDCORE is offline   Reply With Quote