Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 03-10-2005, 12:21 PM   #16
phantomfocus
Regular User

Those of us from the states aren't so lucky. Evo's have only been here for about two years, and WRX's are still pulling high dollar used. I'm jealous
phantomfocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:49 PM   #17
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by nthfinity
test driving a STi is quite dificult one of my dream cars that will have to waite a bit longer before i think i can muster up a drive for that one. definately good luck with the 350Z... ive only met w/out success for that car, so be sure to post a review if you do drive it 8)
Here's a little review I wrote for another forum I'm on back when I test drove a 350Z a few weeks ago...I didn't post it here because I didn't have a camera to take any pics, and I know how JW is with no pics.

Took a little trip to the Nissan dealer yesterday...

I asked for a hard-top 6spd 350Z...no color specified. The guy didn't seem to have a clue what was in their inventory, so we went outside. There was a very nice looking red (hardtop) 2005 Z, but it turned out to be an automatic, but next to it there was a silver convertible. After convincing the salesman that I was ok with driving a convertible, he ran off to get another salesman.

He came out...and said it was his first day at this Nissan dealer...and he knew nothing about the car. Then he asked me if I knew where they put their stock numbers, hahah, but finally found it and got the key.

The interior is well laid out, and I like the gauges above the radio, one said mpg which I like to keep track of. The main gauges were a little small for my taste, especially the speedometer, which I found hard to read. The tach was a good size though, and that's a lot more important anyways. The steering wheel was smaller than I'm used to, but felt good, and didn't feel over-boosted.

The clutch is light and gearbox has short throws, and a nice feel. The seats were comfortable, but I thought could use a bit more lateral support. The interior felt a little bit cheap to me, but not hugely so.

Well, I gave it some time to warm up, and told the salesman all about the car (doesn't it usually go the other way? ). Even with light throttle the thing pulls, and makes a great sound. It was easy to get used to the clutch, and I tried full throttle in 2nd gear...wow, it makes a great sound and really hauls ass.

I took it on the interstate, effortless to get up to speed, and took the on-ramp at near max Celica speed and it was barely trying. Even in 1st gear the car is smooth and doesn't jerk too much (my car is pretty jerky in 1st gear). I floored it in 1st, 2nd and then shifted up into 3rd...I think it hit around 80 (km/h ), it really puts you back in the seat and it makes a great sound. I didn't really get a chance to sample the handling, and that's a shame because I hear its well balanced and a good handler.

Also a shame it was so cold out, because it would have been nice to lower the top and really hear the engine.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 03:18 PM   #18
findleybeast
Regular User

nice review nthfinity, good stuff. I like hearing in depth accounts of driving new cars, in some ways better than magazines. And the tips you gave were good, might try those over spring break
Liked your review too sentra_dude. btw i'm assuming you're talking about the older celica? In terms of road holding the current one is just about on par with the Z

Xbox Live Gamertag: TheSlusbe
findleybeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:45 PM   #19
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by findleybeast
nice review nthfinity, good stuff. I like hearing in depth accounts of driving new cars, in some ways better than magazines. And the tips you gave were good, might try those over spring break
Liked your review too sentra_dude. btw i'm assuming you're talking about the older celica? In terms of road holding the current one is just about on par with the Z
Haha, yeah the 5th gen Celica is the one I'm talking about. I even have some sporty tires on my Celica, and the Z just completely blew it away...but hey, RWD.

------------
Old 03-10-2005, 08:57 PM   #20
nthfinity
Regular User

good review sentra_dude thanks for the post

sounds like the Z is every bit as fun as it looks. in coupe form, i think its one of the best looking side profiles ever. good to here you kept yourself at bay at 80 km/h

on with the dials being to small... in the new mustang, my only problem with them was that the numbers are longatudanally obtuse on the speedometer... making it awkward to read... but like you said, the tach is the important dial.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:17 PM   #21
sentra_dude

Thanks! It was fun doing the 'research' to write the review...and yes, it was tough, but I kept the speed down...not ever going above 80km/h .

Yea, I have looked at those gauges on the 05 GT, and they do look a little bit difficult to read, like gauges from 1960s American cars.

------------