Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 10-16-2005, 09:29 PM   #1
Stikz
Regular User

Default Children's Wish Foundation Fundraiser at Mosport.......

Aka One of the best days of my life. The forecast was originally for rain, but the day turned out to be a beautiful sunny day, at least at the start. Around 3:30 the winds really whipped up and the temperature dropped to about 8 or 9. Nonetheless, the event went on. As an aside, i can't believe i've never made it to Mosport, its only about 70 km from my house, and a really great drive. Anyways, on to the day.

On the drive up i eventually caught up to a group of 7 british sports cars of the 60's and 70's including a Lotus Type 7 that i got a picture of. I thought that those cars would be alright for a spin around the track. Going in, i had no idea what to expect and though i was expecting exotics, i'd take what i could get. Once i entered Mosport and drove to the parking lot, the first car i saw was a gorgeous Gallardo (scroll down for pics). I quickly spotted a 355 and a 512 TR, as well as a 645 and an older 911 turbo (a 930 i believe). Things were definitely looking up. So i headed to the registration tent to get some tickets. Stood in line and was told $20 for 2 laps. So i bought 4 laps. And walked into heaven.....

The paddock was insane, there were 11 ferraris, a bunch of porsches, some really rare bmw's, a 67 camaro, an aston martin db9, a new viper, a couple of late 90 camaro's, just a bunch of sweet rides. I went nuts taking pictures. Anyways the highlights of the paddock were 2 Ferrari 355 Challenges, an M1 ( :shock: :shock: :shock: ) and a 3.0 CSL that was amazing, what a sound from the last two cars, plus their drivers were really pushing them. Anyways, i jumped in line and my first ride was in a GT3.

The guy driving the GT3 was a great guy ( i might add that every single driver there had at minimum a Class 3 racing licence, so these guys were not playing around. Actually the biggest pussies were the guys with Ferraris, but at the speeds the cars were doing, thats relative.) ANyways, the guy i was with had raced Mosport plenty of times and knew the track pretty well. As an aside, i instantly fell in love with the GT3 and things looked promising. The first lap the tires were a little cold so he took things a little easy, the second lap we got stuck behind a couple of slower cars. So the driver said lets do her again. Now Mosport is not a track with a lot of straights but its a fantastic measure of how great a car the GT3 is. WE hit 240 on the nearest thing Mosport has to a straight, which drops a but, before cresting a hill. Anyways, the lap was fantastic and i thanked the driver for making my day.

Next car was a Camaro that i'd heard just roaring down the track and everyone getting out of the car had HUGE grins on their faces. So i had to try it. Getting in, i saw the driver was only a little older than me if that, but he assured me that i'd made the right choice, and he wasn't kidding at all. He did a nice burnout from the paddock, took the pit exit SIDEWAYS!!!! He proceeded to oversteer around every single corner and absolutely scared the shit out of me. The car had ONLY 380 horsepower but its fully race prepped suspension made this one heck of a ride. Safe to say, i had 2 awesome rides under my belt and i wanted more.

THe last ride was in a racing M3 from the 80's with 220 horsepower, which made it one of the least powerful cars on the track. And on the part of the track where the GT3 hit 240, this could only reach 160 km/h. But Mosport is a track of corners, and the corners were where this bimmer shone. It was absolutely GLUED to the turns, my heart was in my mouth the entire time. WE were passing ferraris on the turns like they were standing still. I am amazed at the handling of this car. Another ride from heaven.

Unfortunately i didn't get to ride in either of the Challenges, the M1 or the CSL. All 4 of these were apparently the best cars there and the M1 had the most amazing engine note down the stretch. Anyways, pics are below, sorry for the ones that didn't come out well. My friend has some more as well as videos of laps in the GT3 and camaro. Hopefully i'll post those on Thursday.

All in all, it was a great day, i saw cars i'd never seen, met a bunch of gearheads, had an opportunity to ride in a bunch of great cars and most importantly raise money for a great cause. The crowds weren't as big as i'd expected. I will definitely be back there next year with a video camera. Enjoy........

Oh, by the way, the grey GT3 and the blue Camaro are the ones i rode in, i thought i had some pictures of the m3, but i think they're on my friends camera.

Stikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 10:09 PM   #2
callen
Regular User

great day stikz! glad you had a good time, I never knew that Mosport had this kinda thing, but now that I know i would really like to do it in the upcoming summer. to have a go in a top end sports car, even as a passenger would be great! and 20 bucks aint that bad for the great times had!
Old 10-17-2005, 01:21 AM   #3
RC45
Regular User

Sounds like an awesome day.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:26 AM   #4
blinkmeat
Regular User

Cool - not a bad track either. Saw some sports car races there
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:54 AM   #5
blaszek
Regular User

Very nice cars. To be among such also want. I saw several of they live only.

www.exoticcars.pl
blaszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:24 AM   #6
Pehtren
Regular User

heh nice day you had

and some nice cars especially bmw 645ci, nice car

and gallardo, maserrati

and ferraris

tx for pics
Pehtren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:41 AM   #7
Wutputt
Regular User

Some lovely cars. The f355 with the striping looks good as does the white mkII GT3, not to mention the old CSL Though the Flachbau 930 looks kinda weird.

Non the less it must have been really awesome having some rides in these cars.
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 04:26 PM   #8
TransAm
Regular User

Sounds like the perfect day out to me! 8)

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:38 PM   #9
Stikz
Regular User

/\/\/\ The only way it would have been better would have been a ride in the M1 and one of the challenges, but it was basically a day for the kids so they got first pick of the rides. I didn't really mind because the cars i got rides in were pretty nice. I wasn't initially a fan of the camaro cuz i didn't think they handled very well, but the guy who was driving it made it sing, really the most *interesting* ride i had all day.

Dani, my buddy has some more pictures, including some of the old m3, but i don't think he got any of the 2002 The M1 in person was truly amazing, it had by far the best exhaust note of any of the cars there, you could tell it was coming well before it hit the final turn. thanks for the catch with the 911 turbo as well. Thursday i should have some pictures up and hopefully a couple of vids as well.
Stikz is offline   Reply With Quote