Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 02-08-2006, 12:12 AM   #1
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Default I smell a rat

trying to sell my van on craigslist and i got an email reply 2 days later asking if it was still for sale.

I told him it was and he sent a reply asking if i was the first owner, and how long i've had it.

I answered his questions and the next reply i got was asking if i take cashiers checks. I said i would but he couldn't take the van until it cleared both banks.

I didn't hear back anything for a few days so i figured he didn't like it because he was trying to rip me off.

well, i just got a reply from him asking for my address so he could get the check made up and sent to me, and or my phone number, which is in the ad.

I sent an mail back asking where he was located and then after some thought, sent another one saying how someone tried putting a stop payment on a cashiers check yesterday, so i was only taking cash and doing a face to face title transfer.

At no point has he asked for pics of the van, which i said i would provide on request in the ad, and yet he's going to cut me check for a vehicle sight unseen? This sounds WAY too good to be true

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:15 AM   #2
ae86_16v
Regular User

Yup, that's nothing new. It's too bad Craigslist used to be a great place. Now it is just full of scams.

I still surf there for stuff, but now you just got to filter all that shit out.

Forward his emails and his address to [email protected] .
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:21 AM   #3
ZfrkS62
Regular User

if he backs off of this one, then i will. But if he wants to go for it still, i ain't going to bitch. Especially since he hasn't named any price other than the 3500 i put it up for origianally. I just changed it to 3200 firm since fixing the AC.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:19 AM   #4
Mattk
Regular User

Weird bloke. Maybe he just wants it for parts. But I would at least be checking out the van to see if it works, if there's anything that needs fixing etc. But yeh, if he shows up with some cash, no real problem there.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:21 AM   #5
ARMAN
Regular User

Paying without seeing car? WTF? I'd say its a rat

.................................................. .............................
"...free your mind and the body will follow..." - THE MATRIX
ARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:49 AM   #6
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by Phobo
craiglist is a huge online market in america right? Here in europe that also happens if you list a car at some homepages (mobile, faircar, autoscout24 or whatever) you receive a lot of spam. Mostly from Nigera or the UK.
Yeah, Craiglist has gotten pretty big. In all sense, it is practically the number one Classifies in America. Yup the usual the Nigeria scheme or the "I am in UK/London for business but I would like to cut a check out and buy your (whatever)."
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:58 AM   #7
TransAm
Regular User

Zfrk this smacks of the old fake check scam.

I would run a mile unless cash is involved.

If you do meet the guy and take cash, meet him at your bank - that way you can take the cash straight in and bank it, thus, slyly getting it checked to make sure the cash isnt forged while the guy is still there. The bank will check it without you having to ask.

Previous: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG, 1995 Aprilia RS250
TransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:40 PM   #8
Mattk
Regular User

Yeh, I'm sure other buyers are interested.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:48 PM   #9
memoi567

When I was a boy I had many times where people tried to buy cars off me for cheap. I was looking to prove something so I usually took any offer I could get. This often resulted in much distress with my employer because I would sell cars for triple their worth which distressed my employer cuz he could barely sell cars. In the end I ended up making enough commission to start my own dealership and now today I modify cars with awesome power of Honda
memoi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 03:07 PM   #10
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by memoi567
When I was a boy I had many times where people tried to buy cars off me for cheap. I was looking to prove something so I usually took any offer I could get. This often resulted in much distress with my employer because I would sell cars for triple their worth which distressed my employer cuz he could barely sell cars. In the end I ended up making enough commission to start my own dealership and now today I modify cars with awesome power of Honda
That makes no sense. Why would your employer be pissed that you were selling cars for 3X their value? Wouldn't he be happy about that??

And who is stupid enough to buy a car for 3X it's value anyway???

Old 02-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #11
ferrarif1fan89
Regular User

Originally Posted by memoi567
This has GOT to be a joke. The revenge of batwoman, maybe?
Old 02-12-2006, 03:06 AM   #12
Mattk
Regular User

I think he meant he sold cars that were valued at three times the price he sold them at.