Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 10-26-2005, 12:48 PM   #1
irrational_i
Regular User

Default Grand Prix Masters

So another new single seater series is about to start.
And for some reason, which I am happy about, it is in South Africa.
I just bought a weekend pass.

Its a bit insane at roughly $125.

But since its the inaugural event I suppose I had no choice really.
My biggest annoyance is the lack of ANY useful support races. Yes fine Formula Vee can be entertaining - but really. We are talking past F1 World Champions here. Surely they could come up with the local Porsche Challenge series, or even historics racing. At least thats always amusing and in keeping with his theme.

The only concession is a little parade thingy from Investment Cars - the local Ferrari/Lamborghini/Aston Martin etc. shop. So I will be treated to some Gallardos, F360, F430, maybe an F575 or 2. I just hope Theo's Enzo is still in SA and they got him to bring that along...

I do not like being negative about a motorsport event before it starts. And I think the prices are pure exploitation. They only field 13 drivers too. Hope the cars don't break. Otherwise it will be like the Indy GP this year. : |

Here is the local site with info.
http://www.altechsagp.co.za/site/index.php
(I will be at the yellow "A" above the "Bowl Parking" on the map. Best spot by far.)

I really hope it turns out to be great entertainment. I think Nigel Mansell still has the Kyalami Lap Record at around 1:15 in a 1992 F1 car.
irrational_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 01:19 PM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

names i'd be rooting for, Hans-Joachim Stuck, and of course, Alain Prost.

will this be internationally televised? seems interesting to say the least...

the car seems a little let down, and far from the Factory backing, and formula 1 experience the drivers had with thier respective cars... those guys are used to practically having the car be an extention of themselves... "1 click camber, 2 clicks castor"... so i hope these guys have enough testing time with thier respective cars... any breakdowns would be a serious let down, and i dont think they could get the lap record set in 92' with these cars.

i look forward to watching it
Old 10-26-2005, 03:10 PM   #3
irrational_i
Regular User

I do not know about international television, but suspect it would happen.

I think the cars are still fairly potent, remember some of these guys raced in the 70's! I doubt they would come close to the lap record. Probably closer to 1:25, 1:30 I think. That's till plenty fast around kyalami believe me!

I went around in my SC and my laptime is way over 3 minutes I am sure. 8P
There is another Porsche funday this weekend. I will try keep an eye on my times.

Oh, yes. And my favourite is Stuck too. I am a big fan. Also Arnoux. A fun guy that really enjoys racing.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:31 AM   #4
irrational_i
Regular User

Porsche funday came and went. In the end I did not drive, but I kept an aye on times. Seems my car should do about 2:45-3:00 minutes. With the F1 cars doing 1:15-1:25. That's a rather sizable difference. 8).

Getting excited about the GP masters. Only 2 weeks to go.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:39 AM   #5
nthfinity
Regular User

Bump!
http://www.gpmasters.com/news_050406_pressrelease.htm

Grand Prix masters retunrs April 29th! the race will be in Qatar; and as before, i'm looking forward to a tight race up front; and the ever so sideways Hans Stuck battling it out near, or at it
Old 04-19-2006, 12:44 PM   #6
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
Bump!
http://www.gpmasters.com/news_050406_pressrelease.htm

Grand Prix masters retunrs April 29th! the race will be in Qatar; and as before, i'm looking forward to a tight race up front; and the ever so sideways Hans Stuck battling it out near, or at it
Will they be showing it Stateside?

It will be nice to see them at Silverstone and Monza.

The only negative I see in this series is that the competition levels are not that high - Mansell and Fitti are much faster than the rest. It would have been good if Prost and Lauda showed up. I think a sedentary life for some decades has dulled the speed of a lot of these drivers.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:53 PM   #7
black_magician
Regular User

wasn't Nigel Mansell on Top Gear talking about these cars? so.. pretty slow compared to a Bugatti, but not bad for a race car. quote JC
black_magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:55 AM   #8
irrational_i
Regular User

I am really looking forward to this series. They signed some new drivers and as they get more fit I can only assume racing will become more spectacular. 8)