Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 09-02-2006, 09:03 AM   #16
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mr.Vercetti
^^^^

Dude put aside for a while the stars etc and Ill put aside the fact that Im Greek... did u see the match?.. The basketball that USA played was to say the least shity.. on the contrary, the basketball that we played was... genius. Its all about mentality mate... menatlity and brains... As for Greek teams, you must at least have heard of Panathinaikos, 3 times European Champion.

Easy mate, I have nothing agains the Greeks. If anything Im happy for you Id just expect USA to kick anyones ass in basketball like I would expect Greece to beat USA in football.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:54 AM   #17
Mr.Vercetti
Regular User

^^^^

Im not attacking you or anyone else...
Old 09-02-2006, 11:04 AM   #18
gangajas
Regular User

Greek basketball has changed a lot. In the past they used to win matches scoring 50-60 points, it was incredibly boring. But nowadays I think they have the better players of his history, Papaloukas and Spanoulis are amazing players.
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 02:53 PM   #19
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by gangajas
Greek basketball has changed a lot. In the past they used to win matches scoring 50-60 points, it was incredibly boring. But nowadays I think they have the better players of his history, Papaloukas and Spanoulis are amazing players.
I hope they keep winning, unline the rest of Europe Ukrainians and Greeks at least have religion in common And Crimea and Odesa are very "Greek" construction wise

VIVA GREECE!
Old 09-02-2006, 07:39 PM   #20
joe2tiger
Regular User

I love it when arrogant assclowns like the guy who started this post spout off about shit they don't even understand.

There is a VERY simple reason why the United States does not dominate in basketball: Many of the European teams where basketball is much smaller in popularity still manage to beat the USA because they play together all year round whereas the American teams are cobbled together from the best (suppossedly) players in the NBA who dont normally work together throughout the season and then given a relatively limited amount of time to mesh as a team. Basically, these guys are actualy enemies for most of the season and then, woops, all fo a suddent hey are told to cooperate and win as a team with only limited time to actually train together when compared to the European and other teams they must face. This illustrates one simple fact: teamwork and cohesion is FAR more important then just putting together a "team" of players who are all stars and the "best of the best" in thier own right.

But of course for morons such as yourself, it presents a nice opportunity to give a big "F-you" to America. Whats funny is that it only shows your complete lack of understanding of the nature of team sports such as basketball. If you had any, you would realize that, in cobbling together big time stars who are used to being the number ones and two's on their teams and making them suddenly act as a team with players they usually play against and may not even like, the United States puts itself at a huge disadvantage.

Personally I think the US should just field the NBA champ team and they would do much much better. Even then, the Europeans have some great teams and stand just as much chance of winning as the US or Canada. Basketball is getting bigger and bigger in Europe by the day. It only makes sense that they should have some excelent teams able to stand toe to toe with America. To me it makes for excellent sport and not a childish opportunity to belittle America.

Second point: Many of the "European" teams you speak of are actually using AMERICAN players as thier stars who PLAY IN THE NBA but then switch teams to play for their country of origin!! So its basically still NBA (read AMERICAN) players simply playing for thier home countries. These players fill a void in skills and experience but without destroying the unit cohesion of the European teams because thier numbers are small enough to where they provide a boost in ability without destroying team dynamics.

Oh and here is one more point. To Americans, players and fans included, USA basketball just doesnt matter. It doesnt get the ratings in America and players have little incentive to actually play hard other then, perhaps, national pride. Its similar to the all star games in baseball. They have become just a big show. Everyone knows the real winners and losers are decided in the regular season, at least from the American perspective anyway.

So while you piss and moan about how America sucks and losses to Greece, most Americans couldnt care less. Im sure the Greek team is great and all, but how could you NOT beat a team that is suddenly cobbled together from different teams who are enemies the entire season and told to play as a team against some Euro teams and, oh yeah, your country doesnt give a shit and won't even be watching you play. Just dont get yourself injured and F-up the regular season ok! Thats the deal for USA basketball. Understand that and you understand why we lose. Then again, you may just prefer to allow yourself to believe USA sucks and stuff....which if it makes you fell warm and fuzzy inside is probably all the incentive you need to believe as you wish and not as things are.

Oh and on top of everything, you insult the European teams by acting as if they should stand no chance against America simply because basketball is "bigger" in the states. As one poster put it, "basketball is the national sport of Greece". I bet you didnt even know that you little twit. Why shouldnt the greeks be excellent at basketball eh!?!?!? Why shouldnt the Kiwi's?!?! Maybe because NZ has only 4 million people and no nation with such a small population should have any chance eh?

You spout off about how arrogant Americans sports casters are and such and yet the only person who sounds arrogant to me is YOU.
joe2tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 10:15 PM   #21
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Fuck you too you piece of fucking shit

Have you fucked off yet? Well fuck you. Do let the door hit you.

P.S. Fuck you too.

P.S.S I shit on AMERICA :roll:
Old 09-03-2006, 02:41 AM   #22
Mattk
Regular User

and that "cricket" thing?
Cricket is one of the most popular sports in the world. Not just Australians like it. All of India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka like it (literally), as well as much of the non-American English-speaking world. Even the Americans and Canadians play it (poorly). Aussie rules I can understand, because some in Australia don't like it. South Africans like it. Irish folks also like it, because they made it up when they got here.

The US have a habit of not sending their best teams to major int'l comps. In the Dream Team, LeBron James is probably the only one you would call a huge international star. The others are no doubt good and reasonably well-known in the US, but they're not really the "big names". I read an interesting article by Eric Hobsbawn which, amongst other things, talked of the new-age sports stars being too self-absorbed in their own individual monetary gain to bother with such voluntary trivialities as the world champs or the Olympics.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:50 AM   #23
nthfinity
Regular User

Even the Americans and Canadians play it (poorly
no self respecting American would touch a cricket bat for "true play" but perhaps for initiation rights for sports teams, adn fraternaties.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:12 AM   #24
Mattk
Regular User

no self respecting American would touch a cricket bat for "true play"
And no self-respecting man or woman of any other nation would strap on shitloads of padding just to play football. But I guess it allows for shoulder-charges without fear.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:59 PM   #25
nthfinity
Regular User

And I won't keep quoting your post 'cause all the arguments are plain dumb. Just accept it... american players don't give a shit about anything, only their own ego and their own wallet... ah - and their 'bling bling' Cadillac Escalade! And that's why they lose against teams which believe in their abilities and possibilities to defeat the USA.
it really depends on the player.

I just think its gotten worse these days; where it used to be a national unification a decade ago
Old 09-03-2006, 09:05 PM   #26
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Well what do you guys now....idiots and morons trying to belittle america :roll:
Old 09-04-2006, 02:45 AM   #27
Mattk
Regular User

It's actually true. American sports stars don't like playing in int'l tournaments because they don't get paid.