Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 10-19-2006, 07:03 PM   #16
oscargarza88
Regular User

Originally Posted by TopGearNL
Tough decision that, but 600 Dollars is a lot of money! :shock:

Have you tried getting the price down at bridgestone, or isn't it even worth trying?
600 dls?
its 1400 for all four, or 270 per tire (at bridgestone) , and no they will not pu the price down...

I called subaru of america and told them everythign and they told me to schedule an appointment at subaru to check my alignment, which is what i did, its monday, so no driving this weekend...
at Bridgestone the did an alignment test and suppposedly the alignment was way off, i have a paper which i will scan when i get home, i dont understand it probably some of you will.
thanks
oscargarza88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:27 PM   #17
nthfinity
Regular User

so I guess doing this is out of the question?

:arrow: http://nthimage.com/video_dump/Ferrari_1_0001.wmv

hope you get it all sorted quickly, Oscar
Old 10-19-2006, 10:54 PM   #18
sameerrao
Regular User

I had Bridgestone S03s on my S4 till very recently and was looking at about $800+ inclusive of installation, shipping and taxes.

Instead I chose to get a set of Kumho SPT tires - pretty darn good for the money - came to about $420 installed. Its Z rated, has been quiet riding so far and decent in the recent torrential rains that we have been experiencing and has pretty decent reviews overall.

$200 per tire for a 235 section tire is too much IMO. i wouldnt mind to paying that for 295 section tire. And besides if it is not going to last more than 10K miles then what's the point in throwing away hard earned money. Buy the best $100 tire and throw it away in 3 years or 10K miles. Seems like a better solution to me.

Are you rotating your tires pretty frequently?

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:34 AM   #19
oscargarza88
Regular User

8800 miles is alot for a set of tires...? (i thought they should last at least 20...) ive cheked them out ant the wear lines still have a relativelly good amount of thread remaing... so if i fix the alignment and get a new tire that would solve the problem right? becaue the tires would wear normally...

I hope you all agree on this because i just bought a new tire on tire rack for 202, so i am going to get that put in my car and all the tires aligned and that should make all 4 corners wear off smoothly after that; ill jsut rotate them kinda often and see how the tires react.

here is a test run by bridgestone, i dont really understand it but they said the numebrs were waay off, anyone know anything about this? :

i am planning on whenever i wear down all these tires which wont b very long considering only one is new, i will change all four, the right way.
Subaru "recomends" having the same tires on the car, meaning same brand, pattern and wear, but i cant see how a couple of millimiters can mess up the drivetrain (im not saying i dont belive it will), when the tires in a car are going to have different war normally depending on the driving.

saamero= 420 is an amaizing deal, i probably will go for something around those lines next time.
and a mistake is that i havent been rotating them often. I take it to get the oil changed every 3000 miles so i figure they are going to do anythign nesessary to the car but aparently i was mistaken...
yes my tires had abuse i am not going to lie, but still this is not supposed to happen...

well ill keep you all updated
thanks for everyhting
Old 10-20-2006, 01:35 PM   #20
tuffguy
Regular User

What car do you have? Those tires look pretty slick.
tuffguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:10 PM   #21
RC45
Regular User

Dude - stop whining.

You didnt pay for your car.. it is a modded WRX STi - it has soft tyres, you beat the piss out of the tyres and now you want to nickle and dime about the replacement?

Grow some balls and just admit you abused the car a little and that 8000 miles for a modded 4WD car with agressive alignment and soft tyres is good mileage and move on.

In fact, if you try screw Subaru over I will show them the video of you "abusing" the tyres at an autox before the car was 1000 miles old..

So just be a man, buy new tyres and move on.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:01 PM   #22
tuffguy
Regular User

Don't complain, yours are only $180/per. Mine are $260/per.

They're only supposed to last 10k-15k when driven hard anyway.

Oh, and Subaru sucks.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:01 PM   #23
ViperASR
Regular User

man, I can get a real nice set of Kumhos for my car for $85 each
ViperASR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:09 PM   #24
oscargarza88
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Dude - stop whining.

You didnt pay for your car.. it is a modded WRX STi - it has soft tyres, you beat the piss out of the tyres and now you want to nickle and dime about the replacement?

Grow some balls and just admit you abused the car a little and that 8000 miles for a modded 4WD car with agressive alignment and soft tyres is good mileage and move on.

In fact, if you try screw Subaru over I will show them the video of you "abusing" the tyres at an autox before the car was 1000 miles old..

Im not whining.
If it would be just because of my driving i woundnt have said a thing, if they would have been worn equally then i woudnt have anything to complain about and i would have bought new tires no problem at all... but this is not the case and i dont want this to happen again so i want to see what they can do to avoid this again in the future.
and RC, i did admit i abused the car, who woudnt, what is the car for? but abused or not abused this is not normal, or am i wrong?
Oh and why would i want to screw subaru over...
ah and um... my car is not modded (besides the intake which doesnt really make the car "faster"), and when i took it to the auto-x it has 1200 miles

and yes i know these tires will last me 5-10k miles more anywyas so might as well get all 4.
And also this is the first time i have to replace tires ever so i dont really knew what to expect, milage wise.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:11 AM   #25
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by oscargarza88
Dude - stop whining.

Im not whining.
If it would be just because of my driving i woundnt have said a thing, if they would have been worn equally then i woudnt have anything to complain about and i would have bought new tires no problem at all... but this is not the case and i dont want this to happen again so i want to see what they can do to avoid this again in the future.
and RC, i did admit i abused the car, who woudnt, what is the car for? but abused or not abused this is not normal, or am i wrong?
ah and um... my car is not modded (besides the intake which doesnt really make the car "faster"), and when i took it to the auto-x it has 1200 miles

and yes i know these tires will last me 5-10k miles more anywyas so might as well get all 4.
And also this is the first time i have to replace tires ever so i dont really knew what to expect, milage wise.
the left rear probably has a higher level of slip than the right which is why it's wearing so much faster. The right side is probably not that far behind.

Alignment in the rear, being so far negative cambered, is going to cause that wear pattern consistently, no matter what tires you get. and as long as the inside shoulders are wearing like that, you will continure to wear out strips such as this. Maybe the nylon cords wont come off the way this one did, but you will be showing cords around 10-15K depending on your typical driving style and traction rating of your tires. I see 3 series sport packages eat tires every 15-20, and those are Michelin Pilot Sport 245/40ZR17's.

Just remember that the more expensive your tire, the softer compund you are going to get and the faster you will wear out that strip.

You don't HAVE to put the same type of tire back on the car. You could just as easily go with a Pirelli, Continental, or Michelin. BUt if you have modded the suspension (not familiar with what you've done) and it's changed the alignment angle, have them dial out some of that camber and it should save you a couple thousand miles on the tires.

Welcome to the world of sports cars.

I just noticed your aligment print out and yes, the numbers are off, but your camber shows to be in spec, and that's the one i'm looking at to explain your wear pattern.

the bottom spec in the rear portion of that sheet is your toe. This comes more into play in turns than anything. But looking at those numbers, plus the one in the middle of that, i'm guessing your steering wheel is pointed to the right while you're driving straight i would have the dealer double check this though. Firestone may not have the right specs dialed in. you haven't slid into anything with the left side of the car have you? I'm looking at your rear toe (-0.80 and 0.18) and wondering how the fuck the rear could be that far off without anything being bent or damaged.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 01:23 PM   #26
oscargarza88
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
Originally Posted by oscargarza88
Dude - stop whining.

Im not whining.

the left rear probably has a higher level of slip than the right which is why it's wearing so much faster. The right side is probably not that far behind.

Alignment in the rear, being so far negative cambered, is going to cause that wear pattern consistently, no matter what tires you get. and as long as the inside shoulders are wearing like that, you will continure to wear out strips such as this. Maybe the nylon cords wont come off the way this one did, but you will be showing cords around 10-15K depending on your typical driving style and traction rating of your tires. I see 3 series sport packages eat tires every 15-20, and those are Michelin Pilot Sport 245/40ZR17's.

Just remember that the more expensive your tire, the softer compund you are going to get and the faster you will wear out that strip.

You don't HAVE to put the same type of tire back on the car. You could just as easily go with a Pirelli, Continental, or Michelin. BUt if you have modded the suspension (not familiar with what you've done) and it's changed the alignment angle, have them dial out some of that camber and it should save you a couple thousand miles on the tires.

Welcome to the world of sports cars.

I just noticed your aligment print out and yes, the numbers are off, but your camber shows to be in spec, and that's the one i'm looking at to explain your wear pattern.

the bottom spec in the rear portion of that sheet is your toe. This comes more into play in turns than anything. But looking at those numbers, plus the one in the middle of that, i'm guessing your steering wheel is pointed to the right while you're driving straight i would have the dealer double check this though. Firestone may not have the right specs dialed in. you haven't slid into anything with the left side of the car have you? I'm looking at your rear toe (-0.80 and 0.18) and wondering how the fuck the rear could be that far off without anything being bent or damaged.
thanks for talking time in writing all of that.
Call me ignorant but i didnt know sport tires like this lasted 10-15k miles. its just something i never had to think about before...
And yes, next time i have to change tires im probably going to go with some cheaper tires. and no i do not have a modded suspension, my car is completelly stock except for the intake as i mentioned before; which is why it weird alignment if off like this.
When i drive the steering wheel is straight when i drive, it feels a little weird but i think its because i have the spare on, (which is small).
And no i have not slid into anyuhting on the left or right, i mean yea i have slid but into anything... haha
So what could cause this, a severe bump or hitting a curb or something like that? I have been carefull with speedbumps, potholes and such.
So ill just get new tires alignment and keep aligning it relativelly often to make sure this will not happen again,
thank you
Old 10-22-2006, 12:15 AM   #27
ZfrkS62
Regular User

^

like i said, i would have the dealer check your alignment. Show them that sheet and ask to see their print out. I guarantee they won't read the same. With steer ahead and thrust angles where they are, there is no way you should be driving straight with the steering wheel pointed ahead. If you were to drive in a stright line and let go of the wheel, would the car hold it's line or would it want to go one way or the other? (before you put the spare on)

Give me a few minutes and i'm going to make a post in car mods and probs with that sheet, explaining what everything is.

In fact, that's where this post should be, but anyway. I think there are a few people that would benefit from that.

http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...181&highlight= here it is

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:17 AM   #28
oscargarza88
Regular User

wow ZfrkS62 , nice write up, now i get the idea.... thanks
and thamar yea ur right, although if i were to get cheaper tires i woudnt drive as hard, since the tires would have a lower grip level, but yea u are right, i do want good tires no matter what, and if ultimatelly i want to just have fun ill buy some cheap ones.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:20 PM   #29
oscargarza88
Regular User

does anyone know any place i could shav emy tire?
because the new tire has 9/32 and my other tires have 4/32.
in San antonio, ausitn or houston? anyone know of a place?
Old 11-08-2006, 12:45 AM   #30
tuffguy
Regular User

Shaving your tires:

http://features.evolutionm.net/article/projectevo/69