Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 12-12-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
mit5005
Regular User

Default Damn scammers!

So I get this email from a guy who saw my car on autotrader, first askin if it was still for sale. So I reply sayin yes and include some info and pics of the car. Then he responds again askin a few questions about it like mileage, years i've owned it, any mechanical problems, etc. and ends the email with "Get back to me immediately so my client can get me posted on payment/delivery arrangements as soon as possible."

So I'm like wow this guy must be interested. So I reply answering all of his questions and I get this email in response:

"I have forwarded your vehicle information to my client and after evaluation and due to time constraint on the fact that we are running short of time. I'm delighted to tell you that my client has recommended your vehicle, with full interest and he has instructed me to carry on with his transaction,he hopes the engine is serviced and oil changed too .He cant wait to see the vehicle parked in his garage. However,My client made out a certified cashiers check of($27,000) before he travelled to germany for death of his daughter,for a previous vehicle and its shipment charges etc,but it was unfortunately sold.The amount on the check he deposited for the vehicle is bigger than what should be paid to you now, so the check is now meant for the total expenses which includes the purchase of your vehicle,the pick up of the vehicle from its present location and the shipping charges/other necessary shipping arrangements. However he has instructed us to carry on with this transaction. So you're required to deduct the cost of your vehicle ($18,000)and send the balance of($9,000) to the Agent ( our shipper ) for him to be able to offset shipping & tax charges, and other cosmetic repair costs.After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper, the shipper's agent will come for inspection, pick up (of vehicle & signing of title papers), make some cosmetic touches and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer.and also conclude other necessary shipping arrangements.so you dont have to bother yourself about the pick up and shipping arrangements.
Please Confirm this and provide name,address and phone number for check payment to be delivered to you via fedex courier .
Thanks and God bless.
Regards"

I figured it was a scam, but just in case I told him to call me cause i had a few questions, and he never did lol. Some people...
mit5005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:58 PM   #2
RC45
Regular User

Next ime that happens, have them send you the cheque, deposit it.. and then do nothing.

The cheque will bounce, call the FBI with their info and leave it to law enforcement.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:02 PM   #3
mit5005
Regular User

Well I thought about that, but I didnt want to give them my address. Maybe they wanted to steal the car or something.

I should open up a PO box and have them send it there.
mit5005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:54 PM   #4
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Next ime that happens, have them send you the cheque, deposit it.. and then do nothing.

The cheque will bounce, call the FBI with their info and leave it to law enforcement.
I doubt that forged checks bounce!
Old 12-13-2006, 05:28 AM   #5
Jabba
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast

Yes the cheque will clear and then take about 3 weeks to show up as stolen/forged (or when the victim notices the money has left their account that they didn't write a cheque for), anyway by this time, you will have sent them their "refund" of genuine money and they will be long gone, thats how the scam works in the UK anyway.
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:37 AM   #6
Mattk
Regular User

It seems like a pretty clear cut scam, and one oft reported. They send a dodgy cheque, you send a good one. Outcome: they get $9000, you get $0, you lose. Even if it isn't a scam, it seems they want you to do a lot. Find someone else to buy the car.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #7
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Jabba
Originally Posted by 666fast

Yes the cheque will clear and then take about 3 weeks to show up as stolen/forged (or when the victim notices the money has left their account that they didn't write a cheque for), anyway by this time, you will have sent them their "refund" of genuine money and they will be long gone, thats how the scam works in the UK anyway.
Yeah - the key is to never send them a cheque in return.. but be sure to accept the forged check so that they have commited a federal crime and it's no longer a "scam".

Cheque fraud across state line involves the FBI and the Postal Service.. folks would rather have an IRS audit than have a Postal Inspector looking for them
Old 12-13-2006, 02:25 PM   #8
TopGearNL
Regular User

Sounds like a scam, but if they screw you send the Feds round !
Old 12-13-2006, 03:22 PM   #9
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by TopGearNL
Thats why you need to accept the cheque, deposit it, and have it bounce The crime is actually passing a bad cheque, not being suspected of wanting to pass one
Old 12-13-2006, 03:23 PM   #10
Stoopie
Regular User

Location: United Provinces of the Kingdom of Great Netherlands

I'd ask their address and send them a bullet in a letter which says: I accept your offer. I'd like to see the look on their faces :')
Stoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:22 PM   #11
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by TopGearNL
Thats why you need to accept the cheque, deposit it, and have it bounce The crime is actually passing a bad cheque, not being suspected of wanting to pass one
True I guess 8)