Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 11-06-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
blue8
Regular User

Default Mika Hakkinen retires from DTM

Double Formula One world champion Mika Hakkinen announced on Saturday he has finished his German Touring Car Championships (DTM) career after three largely disappointing seasons.

"Now is a good time for me to finish," said the 39-year-old at a press conference in Stuttgart.

"For you, it is undoubtedly bad news, but for my adversaries, it is good news," Hakkinen said.

The Finn is very popular in Germany and was used to advertise the DTM having competed in 31 races, claiming three victories including two this year.

He finished eighth this year, behind Swedish winner Mattias Ekstrom, in the drivers championship and is expected to continue working for Mercedes in an undisclosed capacity.
News actually came out days ago. I was just thinking whether he would return to F1. McLaren has a seat available anyway and I think it's more cost-efficient for the team than to get someone like Rosberg or Kovalainen. Of course, they could opt for De la Rosa or Paffet but... :roll:

blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
sameerrao
Regular User

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
I don't see Mika returning to F1... especially after his not so brilliant DTM performance in the last 3 seasons

Anyway, that doesn't sound like a final retirement, more like... "ok, I'm done with DTM - what's next?!" May be Le Mans or GT racing? would be great for Mercedes to return to the FIA GT champ with a new CLR sport prototype
+1

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:00 AM   #3
Regular User

Originally Posted by mrmojo77
No way, Mika is not in a shape for F1 anymore, he is too old, sadly. I think he will just do PR for Mercedes from now on and drive some occasional rallies in Lappi.
As much as I like to see him driving for McLaren again....but I have to agree with you....he's just a bit old
1846922 is offline   Reply With Quote