Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 09-29-2005, 05:01 AM   #136
LAMBOR
Regular User

Originally Posted by brembo
......and that shows when you enter them as you will find alot of the same things in your "supercar" vette as you will find in a daily drive womans chevrolet......
Well, for sure nobody likes to have a Fiat switch in a Ferrari, but i heard that happened in the past.

But even the best supercar in the world ever made to alot of people (not to me personally), and i'm referring to the McLaren F1 uses a GM switch. :shock:

Oh probably you're surprised, i never saw nobody making a scene because of that, but i noticed that myself.
LAMBOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:44 AM   #137
LAMBOR
Regular User

Hey brembo read more carefully, i never said that you said you consider the 911 Carrera a supercar. I merely give an example, nothing more.

Originally Posted by graywolf624
P cars
I personally dont think p has ever built what I would consider a supercar. They are nice, and exotic, but they arent super cars. Neither is the vette. They are exotics and comparable. In fact neither is the f430.

How about the Porsche 959 or the Carrera GT? :shock:

If you don't consider that Porsche had never made supercars, you got a very high standard level for the supercar category.

There's no point arguing about supercar terms, no one can define the minimum requirements to be one, I guess supercar category is in some way defined by each person values.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:56 AM   #138
LAMBOR
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Fuck the X Factor...
You're right. Fuck the X factor.

When i sit in a car for a ride, i focus on the street, only sometimes i look to the dash to control the needles. Everything else on the dashboard, all the gadgets doesn't matter, even the music played by the radio (i need only the engine one).
So about the plastics and the poor quality in the Vette, doesn't piss me off, it only needs to be reliable, and it is.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:25 PM   #139
espen
Regular User

Were those Z06 figures taken on a prepped drag strip, or is that article mistaken? I mean, who cares what that particular car managed on Trackbite?

As for the whole supercar thingy, I' rate the GT1 for one as a supercar. I has such OTT flamboyant styling, ridicolous compromises, maginal usability yet huge desirability it could almost have been italian. But supercar-wise, I wonder why Mosler isn't brought up more often. Those cars are really begnning to shape up nicely

Corvettes are Corvettes and are as always fantastic cars when considered on a cost/performence basis. Yet as a complete package, they have glaring weaknesses that for a lot of people make them less desiarable than the competition. Probably largely undeservedly but still. These cars are so expensive here that owners arent willing to put up with the quality issues, the interior build and so on. Sure they are crazy fast but theres mote to owning an exotic that pure speed.

Like here in my hometown (500.000 ppl) there are two C5 Z06'es that are both up for sale now because their ex-Porsche owners are going back to Porsche. Same price, different cars.
espen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 04:30 PM   #140
RC45
Regular User

Ho hum....

LG Headers Installed...

Originally Posted by L G Motorsports
Just for fun, I pulled the air filter out and did a cold pull. What a car.

LG

Originally Posted by L G Motorsports
Hi guys,

All this information is with our LG pro Long Tube system WITH cats.

This Z06 is owned by REDLINE OIL president, Tim Kerrigan. He had the car sent directly to us at LG Motorsports. We appreciate his confidence in us.

I will start with some facts. We installed the headers today with only one minor change to our 3" mid pipes. The C6 necks down to 2.5" but the Z06 has 3" mufflers. This only required a small change in our system to eliminate the 2.5" neck down and continue our 3" pipes to attach to the stock 3" mufflers.

ok Results. First I have to clarify some knowledge that I gained in the last 24 hours. Without being able to tune the PCM, Temperature makes a big difference. I am sure that Temperature also lowered our Base line numbers also. So the 443rwhp would have been higher had we cooled the car down more before we did 2 runs back to back.

Our "After" header install numbers were not up to where we thought they should be so we let the car cool down for about 30 minutes then we did 4 pulls in a row with only 2 minutes seperating each pull.

There is no way that I was going to just pick the best After pull and call it good.

Here is all the information for you to digest. the temp on the 3rd or 4th after pull was about equal to the baseline pull, so use this information wisely.

Also note that once we can get into the computer we will be able to go in and "affect" the changes in timing and other parameters that are pulling the power out.

The air fuel went from a 12.2 on the best run to an 11.7 on the worst run (in the 4 run graph)

The first graph is the base line, with a warm engine) against the cool engine pull with a 30 minute cool down.

The second graph is 4 pulls in a row, 2 minutes apart showing heat build up and the effects of the heat on the power.

Base line/After header install with cool engine
http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...%20install.JPG

4 pulls in a row below
http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...ack%20runs.JPG

You can see that the computer pulls about 16 rwhp out and 13rwtq
by doing 4 pulls back to back within 6 minutes total from starting the first pull.
Tuning will solve this easily.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 12:20 PM   #141
graywolf624
Regular User

How about the Porsche 959 or the Carrera GT?

If you don't consider that Porsche had never made supercars, you got a very high standard level for the supercar category.
That I do.. No the carera Gt isnt a super car in my mind.. I dont really feel the 959 is either.
Maybe the gt1 as someone already mentioned.

Supercars in my mind are enzo, f40, mac 1 area... Ultra exclusive, ultra performance, ultra expensive. It is reserved for the absolute top of the top and in my mind is a very small group. The carerra gt and 959 are close but even they fail due to their similarities to the rest of the model line from porsche. A super car is truly unique and needs to be unlike anything else in my mind.
I wonder what a supercar are in your opinion Gray?

Yes it tells you they have used the same engine in different varations for 50 years, that doesnt mean its the best there is...for a very long time people belived the earth was flat....progress are made by doing new things hence the vette aint cutting edge tech and not what I at least consider a supercar thing....
Looking at the tech used in the vette I beg to differ. There are several cutting edge technologies, and theyve historically had alot of innovations be cutting edge..(chasis and frame construction through hydroforming is a good example. So is the use of carbon fiber in a mainstream car. Then of course we have the systems in the zo6 engine. Its not the same hi tech as a dohcs high tech, but its still high tech. ITs still a huge evolutionary leap over any other road ohv.

Zo6 versus carerra gt and viper on gingerman. Just an owner driver:
http://www.savefile.com/files/4693895
Old 10-15-2005, 01:02 PM   #142
RC45
Regular User

Nice.

I doubt you could do that run in an F430 - and not need to play food mixer with the gear-shift... oops.. I mean "play Nintendo on the Shift Paddles"

3100lbs and 500++hp is what it is -- I like the sound of the extra couple hundred RPM... add's just the right amount of "thrill" to the exhaust note.

I need to look into bumping my redline from 6600 to 7000
Old 10-16-2005, 09:31 PM   #143
nthfinity
Regular User

hey, gray... if you happen to know when any such cars are heading to gingerman... please pass the info this way, i'd love to get some pictures of it going around that road course

unfortunately, its still too much fuel to go every test/tune day right now...

edit:
compared to the faster cars i saw the other day, or lotus elise.. they were running 1:40, and 1:41's .. .the vette looks about a 1:36-7
Old 10-16-2005, 09:38 PM   #144
coloradosilver
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
I need to look into bumping my redline from 6600 to 7000
Thats what I did. The bottom end of your vette is pretty stout and take take a lot more punishment than most people think. I had mine bumped to 7000 almost 2 years ago and haven't had any issues. Go For It!
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 10:56 PM   #145
RC45
Regular User

^^ I have confidence in the bottom end.. it's the prospect of floating or dropping a valve.... there have been a number of folks with broken stock valve springs and bent stock push rods over the last 2 years, so until I get a decent set of springs and rods into this puppy (with a high lift cam) I am happy to skirt with catastrophe at 6600..
Old 10-26-2005, 11:06 AM   #146
SilverPhoenix
Regular User

Wow that was an intense long read lol, Here are some more #'s and direct comparison to the Ford GT and Viper Coupe.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...0&forum_id=100

Gotta love that plateau of Torque, that explains the monstrous acceleration, comparing 0-60 times on cars is a very stupid way to measure their caliber and performance, well to wholly decide on the 0-60 is stupid, like mentioned before the vette cut a few tenths because it hits 60 in 1st gear.
SilverPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:34 AM   #147
nthfinity
Regular User

like mentioned before the vette cut a few tenths because it hits 60 in 1st gear.
as does the FGT... god i love that car (nearing 600 SAE is pretty damn impressive for a warented machine... oh, and guess how many engines have blown in the last year )
Old 10-26-2005, 11:52 AM   #148
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
like mentioned before the vette cut a few tenths because it hits 60 in 1st gear.
as does the FGT... god i love that car (nearing 600 SAE is pretty damn impressive for a warented machine... oh, and guess how many engines have blown in the last year )
But guess how few casual drivers can safely expolit their new Ford GT's

It's a trophy car to be manicured and pampered.. then drooled over and dreamt about ...

The Vette is to be driven and enjoyed.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:02 PM   #149
nthfinity
Regular User

But guess how few casual drivers can safely expolit their new Ford GT's

It's a trophy car to be manicured and pampered.. then drooled over and dreamt about ...

The Vette is to be driven and enjoyed.
blah blah blah
i dream about vettes too... just not as much how many engines have blown? 2...3? its not even 2 months old
oh, and my official jury is still out on the new Z, since i havent driven that one yet.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:14 PM   #150
RC45
Regular User

^^ blah blah back at ya..

I like the C6 Z... not its coupe profile though... and it is the greatest all round package for the price.

But the price will have to dip below $50K used before I jump on board the C6 Z06 band wagon - so until then, I will slowly ramp the power of my car up to near 500rwhp levels.... because at 3100lb's I know what my basic speed numbers will be - at least as good as the stock C6 Z...

My car already stops, turns and goes a lot better than I can - so the dreaming is just academic at this point