Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Ferrari

Ferrari Everything related to the Prancing Horse goes in here!

Old 10-13-2004, 11:25 AM   #151
mindgam3
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Originally Posted by mindgam3
Theres only 5 lb/ft difference between the two, yet the F1 prduces it at 1000rpm less making it more accessible and usable.
Do you really want peak torque at 1000rpm? I dont thats for sure...
ay 1000rpm LESS than the enzo. I.e at 4500 not 5500
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:32 AM   #152
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten

BTW with Enzo sticky rubber you do know the Mclaren would easily be a 10sec car...It did those on yesterdays radials.......
Are you trying to say that people are still running Macca on 10 year old rubber? That has to be some good rubber mate.
Well...when was the Autocar acceleration test conducted? Haha...about 10 years ago, which would mean they were using 10 year-old tires I'd say.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 11:47 AM   #153
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Theres only 5 lb/ft difference between the two, yet the F1 prduces it at 1000rpm less making it more accessible and usable.
Do you really want peak torque at 1000rpm? I dont thats for sure...
ay 1000rpm LESS than the enzo. I.e at 4500 not 5500
Opps
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 12:01 PM   #154
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by sentra_dude

BTW with Enzo sticky rubber you do know the Mclaren would easily be a 10sec car...It did those on yesterdays radials.......
Are you trying to say that people are still running Macca on 10 year old rubber? That has to be some good rubber mate.
Well...when was the Autocar acceleration test conducted? Haha...about 10 years ago, which would mean they were using 10 year-old tires I'd say.
well not all the tests were done 10 years ago. Im pretty sure that the car has been timed many times not just 10 years ago.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 03:10 PM   #155
SnakeBitten
Regular User

lol, as sentra_dude pointed out, your all missing the point. The Macca was designed as a ROAD and DRIVERS car, the enzo was designed for the greater track experience.

The F1 half a meter shorter in length, a quarter of a meter shorter in width and yet and yet still has a longer wheelbase with minimum overhangs making it a great road/drivers car and IMO better than the enzo is this respect.

Some times:

McLaren:

0-60: 3.2s
0-100: 6.3s
0-150: 12.8s
0-200: 28.0s

Enzo:

0-60: 3.3
0-100: 6.9s
0-150: 13.1s
0-200: ?

Obviously these were done at different venues with different drivers but they are all relatively in the same ballpark

The LM did 0-100-0 in 11.5s, ok its a more race focuseed, but is actually SLOWER to 60 and 100 than a regular F1. The road macca wasnt able to make use of carbon ceramic brakes which the enzo has. The enzo's brakes are a whole 2 inches bigger plus they're ceramic, considering the macca is lighter, with up to date brakes it would probably beat it.

So the enzo has more power? The stats show that this doesent really have an effect on speed in comparison with the 30hp less macca so thats out of the window.

What about torque? Theres only 5 lb/ft difference between the two, yet the F1 prduces it at 1000rpm less making it more accessible and usable.

At the end of the day these cars are both amazing.

The real drivers car is the McLaren F1 though.

Martin brundle chose it as his favourite supercar, and so did rowan atkinson over the porsche.

The only thing the Enzo has over the Macca is track handling - which is what it was designed for, the macca was not.

IMO, there will never be another car as uncompromised as the F1 - its still king

Sniff Sniff....weep weep....Well said dude..weep...
Old 10-13-2004, 06:21 PM   #156
dons5
Regular User

"""there will never be another car as uncompromised as the F1 - its still king"""

Ummm i dont think so, i think the F50 was even more uncompromised, common that whole thing with the gearbox and engine all linked together or whatever, and the suspension being directly attached to the engine or gearbox with no rubber in the suspension etc i think thats even more uncompomised, no radio no electronics, f1 based engine, just about 0 body roll especially compared to a Mac F1, Remember Tiff i think it was " Even a Mac F1 would have steamship body roll compared to this" "nothing i know turns into a corner like this"
dons5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 06:23 PM   #157
mindgam3
Regular User

thats not what i meant by uncompromised.

The traits you mentioned of the F50 are all track traits....

What i meant by uncompromised was that the McLaren was going to be designed with an "unlimited" budget and whatever was necessary to make it the best road car was done - and it obviously worked.

Even the enzo and F40 had budgets
Old 10-13-2004, 09:48 PM   #158
bmagni
Regular User

Some times:

McLaren:

Enzo:

Sometimes, u said it... and as i see ur posting the enzos worst times...

with up to date brakes it would probably beat it.
uhmm brakes arent everything... theyre important but not everything... the enzos brakes arent just to stop the car quicker are also for endurance in track...

Martin brundle chose it as his favourite supercar, and so did rowan atkinson over the porsche
both of them are english so that doesnt surprise me...

The only thing the Enzo has over the Macca is track handling - which is what it was designed for
wrong. the enzo was designed for many purposes not just for track handling... if it was gonna be designed for that then the design would have been different.
also the enzo has made better accel times than the mclaren... so u cant say the only thing the enzo is better at is track handling its better at braking too :

so i say it once again if it wasnt for top speed the mclaren wouldnt be as famous and liked as it is...
driving experience ??? drive an f40 and we can talk some more bout that...
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:13 PM   #159
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by sentra_dude

well not all the tests were done 10 years ago. Im pretty sure that the car has been timed many times not just 10 years ago.
True.

But the quintessential test of the McLaren F1...the Autocar test...was conducted in May of 1994...ten years ago.

------------
Old 10-13-2004, 10:28 PM   #160
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by bmagni
Some times:

McLaren:

Enzo:

Sometimes, u said it... and as i see ur posting the enzos worst times...

uhmm brakes arent everything... theyre important but not everything... the enzos brakes arent just to stop the car quicker are also for endurance in track...

Martin brundle chose it as his favourite supercar, and so did rowan atkinson over the porsche

The only thing the Enzo has over the Macca is track handling - which is what it was designed for
wrong. the enzo was designed for many purposes not just for track handling... if it was gonna be designed for that then the design would have been different.
also the enzo has made better accel times than the mclaren... so u cant say the only thing the enzo is better at is track handling its better at braking too :

so i say it once again if it wasnt for top speed the mclaren wouldnt be as famous and liked as it is...
The best times I have come across for the Enzo:

0-60 3.28s
0-100 6.6s
1/4mi 11.1@133mph
0-150 13.1s

If the Enzo has quicker times, I'd love to see them...I'm almost positive those are the quickest, and although its so close it doesn't really matter...the F1 is still faster.

lol...how are the times mindgam3 posted the "worst times"...you must be joking, they are extremely good times.

Would the Enzo be as famous if it didn't have that special badge on the front? I don't think so...so quit going on about the McLaren only being popular because of the top speed record. People who know nothing about cars only like the F1 because of its massive topspeed.

------------
Old 10-13-2004, 11:33 PM   #161
bmagni
Regular User

best times i know

0-60: 3.2
0-100: 6.51
0-150: n/a
1/4: 10.8 (mentioned here)

so if it makes the 1/4 at 11.1 at 133 according to u i doubt it takes it 2+ seconds to reach 150

Would the Enzo be as famous if it didn't have that special badge on the front?
its not the same... the f1 became mostly known cause of the top speed it made... if it wasnt for that it would be another zonda or cc8...
the badge plays a very important part. and "sadly" ferrari is the most known brand of sports cars so that gives the enzo an extra publicity
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 12:32 AM   #162
HoboPie
Regular User

I think there is a shift in there.

It occurred to me that the highest trap speed I have seen for the Enzo was 136mph in the Autocar test which is also the test where they got 13.1 seconds.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:40 AM   #163
mindgam3
Regular User

best times i know

so if it makes the 1/4 at 11.1 at 133 according to u i doubt it takes it 2+ seconds to reach 150

its not the same... the f1 became mostly known cause of the top speed it made... if it wasnt for that it would be another zonda or cc8...
the badge plays a very important part. and "sadly" ferrari is the most known brand of sports cars so that gives the enzo an extra publicity
and please tell me what your source is? Mines autocar, probably the most reliable magazine to get data from..... Who recorded the enzo doing the 1/4 in 10.8? And wheres the evidence? And even so, its still at a slower speed than the mclaren.

Another source i found is R and T, so at best it matches the F1 for time but not for speed.....

Road and Track Enzo 1/4: 11.1 @ 133mph

If you've got any slight drop of petrol in your blood that you should know mclaren very well..... do you watch F1 at all? Everyone knows who mclaren is and so even if the mclaren didnt have the top speed, it still would be known seeing as though thts "their" only car they ever properly produced.

Originally Posted by bmangi

I know they're not everything, i was referring to the 0-100-0 test. The only place the mclaren looses out is the braking, and its running 10 year old technology..... The Mclaren F1 LM almost equals the Enzos time as it has decent brakes, but is actually slower the 100 than the F1 road car. If the F1 road car had the LM brakes, or even better, carbon ceramic brakes, it would easily beat the enzo.

On the track it would help to but my guesses are the enzo would still beat the macca. But as i said, the macca was designed as a road car and a road car only.

So? The english love ferraris, and as i do think the enzo is an amazing car. But in mine and their opinion, the macca is easily the most rounded supercar considering its age, and also the best road car.

Bullshit, the enzo was designed as a track/race focused car. You can hardly hustle a 360 along country A and B roads let alone an enzo. With a macca you can....

Better accelration times? where? from a decent source? I'd say the mclaren was slightly better in terms of acceleration and if not they're roughly in the same ball park as one another. I dont see any acceleration tests to 200 for the enzo? Considering the macca out accelerates and F1 car from 180+ i think its got tht in the bag too....

The F40/ sure is an amazing car, and is certainly a great drivers car, but again it is more track focussed. Plus it has power steering, power brakes, ABS and enzo and F50 add traction control to this and most likely power assisted gear change (?). The macca has none of these, its all pure direct input from u to the car.... and yet still manages to be an easy car to drive at low speeds... part of the design of the F1 was to make it user friendly and suitable for everyday, the F40/F50/Enzo? i dont think so
Old 10-14-2004, 10:54 AM   #164
sentra_dude

best times i know

So you are going to use the 10.8s 1/4mi...which was a number someone threw out as what some owners are getting at drag strips...supposedly? Proof please...

the f1 became mostly known cause of the top speed it made...
Fine...if that's what you want think...fine. I don't feel like arguing it with you anymore. Its not true, but you won't believe that, so I don't care.

The F40/ sure is an amazing car, and is certainly a great drivers car, but again it is more track focussed. Plus it has power steering, power brakes, ABS and enzo and F50 add traction control to this and most likely power assisted gear change (?). The macca has none of these, its all pure direct input from u to the car.... and yet still manages to be an easy car to drive at low speeds... part of the design of the F1 was to make it user friendly and suitable for everyday, the F40/F50/Enzo? i dont think so
Haha...I don't think the F40 had anything like power steering or power brakes or ABS...its a pretty no-frills car actually. Didn't even have interior door handles or a radio...or even a cigarette lighter haha. Which is one of the reasons the F1 is even more impressive, it didn't have a stripped interior, it had a/c, it had a CD-player, but it was still lighter than the F40.

I don't think the F50 had power steering either, only the Enzo has that...which is one of the reasons I don't like it as much as some people.

------------
Old 10-14-2004, 11:08 AM   #165
mindgam3
Regular User

my bad i just did a quick search n got some false information. Wanted to make sure but i didnt think they had all of tht either although i think the F50 did have power assisted steering?

Even so, they're all track focussed cars - albeit very good track focussed cars