Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 02-22-2004, 08:34 PM   #16
crazidude
Regular User

DCC is godly, but I'm too cheap and I don't have enough bandwidth to share enough to get some decent stuff. I suppose one of the spyware free Kazaas would be good for music and videos, although I don't use Kazaa anymore.
crazidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 08:49 PM   #17
pimrusis
Regular User

Its bad if your an idiot. I get virus's but they dont hurt that bad. I can usually avoid or get rid of them.
pimrusis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 09:21 PM   #18
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by pimrusis
Its bad if your an idiot. I get virus's but they dont hurt that bad. I can usually avoid or get rid of them.
...use protection then...

... oh - you mean computer virus's...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 09:25 PM   #19
geekdiggy
Regular User

what's the big mystery? just download kazaa lite k++ and stop bickering, get yourself a good free firewall and/or virus scanner and click away, it's easy

hard to hit in only three tries.
geekdiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 11:13 PM   #20
Zonda11
Regular User

Originally Posted by veteq
would stay away, I friend of mine just got a message while down loading saying, "you are presently being tracked by a federal agency....and so on" this warning was sent by his service provider.
Shit ...that would scare me.....I got one of those warnings after transferring 20 GB over my ftp in only a few days....they just threatened to cut me off!

Zonda11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 11:54 PM   #21
enigmatic
Regular User

we seem to be pretty lucky here in oz..
i havnt heard of many/any(?) people have any legal action taken against them..
but kazaa is in court at the moment over in Sydney. the outcome should be interesting.
as they've said, since the fasttrack network is decentralised, it isnt as simple as pulling a plug.
good luck to the ARIA they'll need it.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:00 AM   #22
T-Bird
Regular User

just don't allow uploading or sharing just be a leach and your fine if they can't get the list of your songs off Kazaa they cn't do anything and if they get it another way countersue them or find out their IP and hack their asses! but seriously don't worry about it unless you have thousands of songs and you choose to share them. Hey who knows you might get a contract with Pepsi and Apple too if you get caught.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 01:10 AM   #23
lambo4levi
Regular User

Well I have been dling music from Kazaa and WinMX for quite awhile and i have not been fined or got any virus's from either of them 8) ....... hmmmmm correction * any virus's that i have found yet* 0X
Old 02-23-2004, 03:04 AM   #24
possessed_beaver
Regular User

kazaa like anything CAN be dangerious if you don't know what you are doing...
but u are a smart boy.. so download away!
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 04:47 AM   #25
enigmatic
Regular User

ive never had a problem..
but i run dialup and generally dont have the bandwidth to share, which is good and bad. sorry to those of you i may have leached off 8)
i think its the users who share bulk amounts of music who the RIAA [and their respective international counterparts] will have a problem with..
never had a problem with viruses either.
i think its fair to say that if your outside of the US, your quite a bit safer from such authorities -- but im sure this will change in the near future.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:55 AM   #26
possessed_beaver
Regular User

Originally Posted by enigmatic
never had a problem with viruses either.
personaly i got a virus..
it was just anyoing more than anything and all i had to do was re-start in safe mode and remove it.
bare in mind i would of downloaded THOUSANDS of files, and to only of had one problem is pretty good, compared to things i have downloaded off the net that have had virus's...

but i stand by saying THERE IS NOTHING wrong with kazaa..
(but make sure u use kazaa lite!!)
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 09:37 PM   #27
Anonymous

Agree with some of the recent posts get Kazaa Lite, decent firewall and antivirus and u should be fine. i've been using it ever since i got to uni and the only viruses i've got are when i download programs not vids and music which most people use it for
Old 02-26-2004, 02:04 AM   #28
pranesh76
Regular User

Kazaa as i know it doesnt contain viruses but contains spyware. spyware is basically things that track things such as sites you've been to etc and it uploads it to a server somewhere where they use the information to get money by selling all these statistics to companies. You usually get viruses by downloading .exe files from kazaa. I've recently had to format someones hd because that person had downloaded some video files that messed up explorer(not IE)..so everyone should take care when downloading stuff.

One option is to download kazaa-lite. Its a version of kazaa without the crap that comes along with it.

Hope that helps.
pranesh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 05:40 AM   #29
yellow_rice
Regular User

i was just wondering if kazaa and kazza lite++ was different?
yellow_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 10:33 AM   #30
callen
Regular User

kazaa lite is the way to go...it has an internal download speedup thing that works pretty well and u dont get pops ups either. keeps kazaa from reallly boggin down ur computer. also i wish u didnt have to share so much with others cause my (as i am sre many others here as well) shared folder is a fucking goldmine! i bet if i put it up for downloading for a month it would push over ten gigs of uploads....