Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 09-14-2006, 11:31 AM   #16
RC45
Regular User

Yes - to add to our orange Caterham and metallic pink 1969 Corvette Stingray and Forest Green Saturn Sky.

We just moved into the mansion on the crater rim - great views, 8 car garage and an awesome driveway up the mountain side

We still have to discover the "big cash" quick races - we are only netting about $20K per race.

I hear there are some $70K and $100K races that only take a few minutes... and if you need a really quick car to win a race, don't buy it - just rent it hehe
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:38 PM   #17
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Yes - to add to our orange Caterham and metallic pink 1969 Corvette Stingray and Forest Green Saturn Sky.

We just moved into the mansion on the crater rim - great views, 8 car garage and an awesome driveway up the mountain side

We still have to discover the "big cash" quick races - we are only netting about $20K per race.

I hear there are some $70K and $100K races that only take a few minutes... and if you need a really quick car to win a race, don't buy it - just rent it hehe
Th shortest big money race I've found took about 20 minutes in my Z06. I go $150k for it. I've also completed the Island Tour for $200k and the Millionaires race for a cool million.
The ISland Tour is a race around the entire Island and the Millionaires is a Time based race (with traffic) around the entire Island. Both took about 40 minutes in my Modded McLaren F1. It tops out at about 265mph.

Anyone get to the speedway on the secret island yet?
Old 09-15-2006, 03:08 AM   #18
Zot09
Regular User

^^^^

Speedway on a secret island?!?!?! :shock:
Old 09-15-2006, 03:38 AM   #19
dons5
Regular User

play RFACTOR, GT LEGENDS and GTR2!

Real sims!

check em out especially RFactor
Old 09-15-2006, 09:21 AM   #20
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by dons5
play RFACTOR, GT LEGENDS and GTR2!

Real sims!

check em out especially RFactor
Uhm - we do and have been there and done that... no one is claiming this game to be a real simulation, it is a GAME and we treat it as such.

We really didn't need someone telling us this fact either..

...do you have anything regarding TDU to add? If not, please try not turn this thread into a flame fest...

mmmkay?
Old 09-15-2006, 09:43 AM   #21
Mattk
Regular User

The free roam concept about this game is probably what is most enticing for me. You get to test out the cars in a non-pressure situation, and try to run away from cops any which way you want. Something Need For Speed never got around to doing.

As a side note, I remember playing this old Test Drive where you:
1) Selected your car (out of a Lambo Diablo, Ferrari Testarossa, Porsche 911 and a few others)
2) Drove along a winding road alongside a cliff, trying to avoid crashing into traffic and running away from cops, until you reach a petrol station
Thrilling stuff. 8) There were only two colours: pale-green and pink. The cliffs were pink and the cars were green, black and white inside and pink outside. The sky was pink and white and the roads were black and white (obviously).
Old 09-15-2006, 10:16 AM   #22
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk
The cliffs were pink and the cars were green, black and white inside and pink outside. The sky was pink and white and the roads were black and white (obviously).
Ah... CGA graphics..

You must have some really old PC's and PC users down under... Test Drive dates from about 1989 or so
Old 09-15-2006, 11:40 AM   #23
Mattk
Regular User

Well, I first started playing that game when I was around 5. It was there for a few more years until my dad decided to get rid of all the old games so he could have space to install a new printer.

As for the newer Test Drives...many many times more advanced. Nevertheless, that game was fun at the time.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_Dr...ive_.281987.29):
Test Drive (1987)
Test Drive was a car game released in 1987 by Accolade. It is the original that created the sub-genre of racing hot cars while outrunning the police, a concept successfully copied by newer franchises such as Need for Speed. In fact, Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit features an ode to Test Drive: one of the tracks, titled Rocky Pass, consists of roads along the side of a mountain. Test Drive was released in 1987 for DOS, the Atari ST and Commodore 64. The game was the first real racing game for DOS. In 1988 it was released for the Apple II and Amiga.

In this first version of the game, the player is given the choice of a variety of different sports cars such as Ferrari Testarossa, Lotus Turbo Esprit, Porsche 911 Turbo, Lamborghini Countach and C4 Chevrolet Corvette. The player then must race up a narrow mountain highway, avoiding the oncoming traffic, police and the guardrail-free cliff. If the player successfully makes it to the top within the time limit, they are given the (virtual) car for free to keep. The game's graphic was considered as impressive for the standards of the day. Atari ST and Amiga versions of the first Test Drive have the most advanced graphics.
Countach, not the Diablo. And that game was older than me!
Old 09-15-2006, 02:48 PM   #24
RC45
Regular User

Oh - no need to tell me - I still have and play TD when I want to reminisce
Old 09-18-2006, 09:30 PM   #25
Global Douchebag
Regular User

Originally Posted by JoeHahn
Sounds a whole heap like Most Wanted minus all the rice accessories. May get it once it hits the PC
It sure does and Most Wanted is one of the worst racing games I have ever played. I will gladly skip TDU thank you very much! I have no interest in these kinds of games.
Global Douchebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:58 PM   #26
T-Bird
Regular User

yeah you can see the island on the map to the east side towards the bottom it has a ship on it but I think it is actually a property or something you have to buy. the tour of the island I won on my fully modded ducati999R
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote