Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

View Poll Results: What should I get?
Acura TSX 7 29.17%
Lexus IS250 11 45.83%
Other 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2006, 09:31 PM   #16
Zot09
Regular User

Originally Posted by e46drew
it sounds like in your financhel position reliability isn't all that nessary , but still with out sbjecting your self to a car with out a warranty, get a WRX sti, it's much more a drivers car then the rest listed here
No matter what financial position one is in, reliability should still be an issue. Even if one has money, who wants to throw it away unnecesarily?

As for the Sti, I heard that the ride can be pretty rough, so I'm not sure if it would be that great of a commuter. But I'll deffinitly go test drive one to see if that is true.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:43 PM   #17
sameerrao
Regular User

How firm are you on buying a new car. I did that for my first car and lost a lot of money on depreciation

If I had a $35K budget and wanted a car that was sporty and yet comfy on a long trip I would consider a used M3 - should fit the bill pretty well. A Z06 would be a great choice too - the luggage space on that car is amazing

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:09 PM   #18
gigdy
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao
How firm are you on buying a new car. I did that for my first car and lost a lot of money on depreciation

If I had a $35K budget and wanted a car that was sporty and yet comfy on a long trip I would consider a used M3 - should fit the bill pretty well. A Z06 would be a great choice too - the luggage space on that car is amazing
I think he's looking for more of a luxury sport sedan.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:03 PM   #19
Zot09
Regular User

Originally Posted by sameerrao

I'm pretty firm on buying a new car, I want to know exactly how the car was used, and there is no way of knowing that if it's used(how it was broken in, how it was driven daily, etc).

As for the M3, are you talking about the E46? If so, that is one exception I would deffinitly make! Is it possible to find a E46 M3 for $35k?

Originally Posted by gigdy
I think he's looking for more of a luxury sport sedan.
Yep, that is exactly what I'm looking for.

But like I said a few lines up, the E46 M3 would deffinitly be an exception.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:54 AM   #20
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Zot09
I'm pretty firm on buying a new car, I want to know exactly how the car was used, and there is no way of knowing that if it's used(how it was broken in, how it was driven daily, etc).
A warranty is a warranty - if at 19 some one is hell bent on "buying a new $35,000 car" it's a) either not their money, or b) money is easy to come by, as the depreciation on any new car is such that money either doesn't matter to you or you have an unending supply

Why on earth would anyone buy a new car when the same car is available for 15, 20 0r 30% less for a 12 to 18 month old lease turn in that still has COMPLETE factory warranty left? (and you will take that very same hit if you buy new and always come out behind)

And the truth is you know you won't be keeping this car for the full lenght of the warranty anyway as you'll somehow "need' to buy yet another new car witj a $65,000 budget in 2 yeasr any way.

*shrug*

Easy come easy go I guess
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:49 AM   #21
Zot09
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
A warranty is a warranty - if at 19 some one is hell bent on "buying a new $35,000 car" it's a) either not their money, or b) money is easy to come by, as the depreciation on any new car is such that money either doesn't matter to you or you have an unending supply

Why on earth would anyone buy a new car when the same car is available for 15, 20 0r 30% less for a 12 to 18 month old lease turn in that still has COMPLETE factory warranty left? (and you will take that very same hit if you buy new and always come out behind)

And the truth is you know you won't be keeping this car for the full lenght of the warranty anyway as you'll somehow "need' to buy yet another new car witj a $65,000 budget in 2 yeasr any way.

*shrug*

Easy come easy go I guess
Unfortunately RC, it isn't just me that is "hell bent" on purchasing a new car, it's also my mother. If my mom says no to a used car, then it's a no. I wouldn't mind getting a used 330i w/ ZHP, or a used M3, but the fact is I probably can't.

As for the depreciation, I totally agree that it sucks, and that it is a waste of money. But what can I do?

I wish that I could get a $65,000 car, but I can't. I'm alright with that, I'm happy enough knowing that I can even get a car. I know that I am fortunate enough to get things like this, and I do not take it for granted. And the truth is, I do know that I will be keeping this car past warranty, up until the point that I can afford to purchase my own car after graduate school. I may seem like a stuck up kid who has everything handed him, and I do have a lot of things handed to me at this moment because I am in school focusing on my studies, but I do appreciate all the things my mother does for me and I do not take it for granted(she just thinks of this as an investment, just like college, because I plan on paying her back 1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx fold when I do have the money), which you do think.

I know it doesn't matter what I say RC, because there is no way for you to believe me, and I don't blame you either. Even if I were to come up with some well thought out argument or point, I know that you would just come right back with some pompous and witty comment. But that is what makes you, you.

Anyways, thanks for the input RC
Old 11-26-2006, 05:54 AM   #22
Mattk
Regular User

The IS250 is a good, safe bet to satiate your driving needs. It's probably not going to set world records, and I dislike the styling because it looks overweight, but it's received rave reviews, so I'd definitely go for the IS250.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:26 AM   #23
Zot09
Regular User

Originally Posted by brembo
You say you want a luxury/sporty sedan, but the interior of the Lexus aint exactly smelling of luxury IMO its alot of cheap plastics there at least in thise I have been into....
I didn't find it to be half bad actually. Sure the trim was made of plastic(unlike the 3-series which has real wood or aluminum), but the leather quality used in the IS was better than the 3-series. It had a softer, and more supple touch to it. The dash was made up of the "soft plastics" used in many luxury cars today, which I liked. One of the problems I had with the IS was that clock in the center console. It looks like it was taken straight out of a 1990 Toyota Camry or out of a toy given away at McDonalds with a Happy Meal.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:37 AM   #24
dingo
Regular User

I wouldn't buy a new car, you just lose way too much money in that first year....why bother?

As for which car.....get a WRX if you want a comfortable daily driver that is also sporty. You are right in saying the STi is a harsher and less comfortable drive for long distances, but my car is great on the highway. Humming along at 3000rpm you could mistake if for a German car.

Plus the WRX is faster than all these other POS's (bar the Z06) mentioned so far.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:45 AM   #25
Shinigami
Regular User

Originally Posted by thamar
Audi is reliable, otherwise they wouldn't sell so many cars in europe...
I think it's the styling that's selling Audi in Europe, not the reliability.

My boss and colleague both have Audi's, and they've both had several issues with their cars this year. My colleague still has a CEL which he can't be bothered to fix because it's the third time it would need to go in for this thing alone...

But YMMV (your mileage may vary).
Old 11-26-2006, 11:35 AM   #26
T-Bird
Regular User

I will say this the 07 TSX is very similar to the one you have now but with the navi that helps the resale value dramatically. I would personally wait considering the internal rumors of the Turbo K23 replacing the K24 for 2008.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:11 PM   #27
RC45
Regular User

Unfortunately RC, it isn't just me that is "hell bent" on purchasing a new car, it's also my mother. If my mom says no to a used car, then it's a no. I wouldn't mind getting a used 330i w/ ZHP, or a used M3, but the fact is I probably can't.
Well - its not your money perse so no worries then - right?

But the part I find the most interesting is how at 19, you not only take heed of what "mother" says, but are completly steered and directed by what she wants.

Yet other kids might be rebelling against their parents at a much younger age... and would do the opposite of what "mom" wanted

I am by no means disrespting your respecting her wishes at all - in fact I am pleasently surprised by it - but am also fascinated by the fact that you even care enough to listen - it's almost worth a "social study" to help determine the reason.

We know it can't be just the money, as other parents try "buy" their childrens obedience but fail dismally.

So in short, as you have the chance, and it's not your money try convince her you need a used sports car
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:40 PM   #28
Zot09
Regular User

Yes, the leather might be a little softer but that often mean that its also thinner and will be worn out sooner from my experience......if you add that up with plastic bits, the clock that bugs you you end up with a not so luxury like interior IMO......
but from the outside I think they look very good....its your money so your call but I`d rather put my money in an Audi.
I have been living with Audis as my daily driver for a decade, and I have abused them all pretty hard including tuning them to an extent using them on tracks and alot of hard road use and they have never let me down....
I see what you are saying, and you do bring up a great point. I agree that the Lexus still has a few bugs inside that keep it from being on par with its European competitors. I'll make sure to test drive an A4 within the next month.

Originally Posted by dingo
I wouldn't buy a new car, you just lose way too much money in that first year....why bother?

As for which car.....get a WRX if you want a comfortable daily driver that is also sporty. You are right in saying the STi is a harsher and less comfortable drive for long distances, but my car is great on the highway. Humming along at 3000rpm you could mistake if for a German car.

Plus the WRX is faster than all these other POS's (bar the Z06) mentioned so far.
I do like the WRX a lot, and the STi, but it's missing a bit of the luxury I want in a car. If I were looking for something less luxurious, and more sporty, the WRX(STi) would deffinitly be on the top of my list.

Originally Posted by Shinigami

My boss and colleague both have Audi's, and they've both had several issues with their cars this year. My colleague still has a CEL which he can't be bothered to fix because it's the third time it would need to go in for this thing alone...

These are the types of comments I've heard from individuals about Audi that scare me from wanting to get one.

Originally Posted by T-Bird
I will say this the 07 TSX is very similar to the one you have now but with the navi that helps the resale value dramatically. I would personally wait considering the internal rumors of the Turbo K23 replacing the K24 for 2008.
So is it for sure that the replacement is now in 2008? I've heard a few different things, some people say 2008 and others say 2009. The K23 Turbo would be pretty sweet. What about SH-AWD? Any luck on the 07 keys yet T-Bird? Thanks!

Originally Posted by RC45
Well - its not your money perse so no worries then - right?

But the part I find the most interesting is how at 19, you not only take heed of what "mother" says, but are completly steered and directed by what she wants.

Yet other kids might be rebelling against their parents at a much younger age... and would do the opposite of what "mom" wanted

I am by no means disrespting your respecting her wishes at all - in fact I am pleasently surprised by it - but am also fascinated by the fact that you even care enough to listen - it's almost worth a "social study" to help determine the reason.

We know it can't be just the money, as other parents try "buy" their childrens obedience but fail dismally.

So in short, as you have the chance, and it's not your money try convince her you need a used sports car
Just because it isn't my money, doesn't mean I intend to go out and spend it on whatever I want. Like I said earlier, just because you have the money doesn't mean that you have to, or should, spend it.

As for your other comment, thanks for the compliment RC? I learned pretty early on(around age 16), compared to others in my age group, that the whole rebelious teenage phase is a bunch of bull shit. Why should I give my mother more stress? I'm sure that she gets enough at work. I grew up respecting my mother, and everything that she has done for me, and that is why I do not take her for advantage. She raised me with her best intents, wanting what was best for me. I know that others in the world are not as fortunate as I in having such a caring and understanding parent, and that is why I cherish her and obey her.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:11 AM   #29
Zot09
Regular User

Originally Posted by Shinigami

These are the types of comments I've heard from individuals about Audi that scare me from wanting to get one.

Well this comment here comes from Shinigami wich keeps byuing mercs even if they have had huge problems with their reliability for more than a decade......

Im not saying Audi arre the best, but from my experience with the brand, and with myself and my familiy and friends wich almost everybody got Audis I must say they do hold up good IMO......

But at the end of the day its you who have to make the decision.....
Thanks for all the input Brembo. I will be back home in a little less than two weeks, so as soon I test drive the Audi and some other cars, I'll let everyone know what my final choice is.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:51 AM   #30
acmarttin
Regular User

L.E.X.U.S.

I love my Audi TT for what it is, but it hasn't stopped raping me in the ass (no, literally) since 2004. I agree with the guy who says the reliability is embarrassing. It's worse than that.

That's my 2 cents.