Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 06-15-2004, 04:42 AM   #16
amanthapar
Regular User

SIR GT
i think ur post is off little value...
mercs do have character compared to bmw and audi ...
and he hates american (just to make his show funny) but he loves fords
well he may be biased but given what he says it does make sense...(biased sense!)

clarkson loves loves loves loves loves ferrari... and yet he said the 612 sucked..
and didnt put it on the cool wall.. u see he isnt really biased... clarkson loves merc but hates the E and says the S is the best luxory car... well the S is the best ( looking at statistcs of number sold... the S sells the most out of 7 and xj and a8)
and also about the mf1 well he said the money put him off..
and ALSO THE REVIEWED THE HUMMER (HE IS THE ONLY FUCKING BRITISH JOURNALIST TO SAY IT IS GOOD)
and also.. clarkosn insulted the S type... thats a jag! hmmmm..
oh and if u didnt know the mcf1 is twichy and high speeds... i ve read that b4..
he likes the slr compared to the carrera mainly because he does.. its his choice..
i like the slr more than the carrera mainly because of the looks...

and also everyone is biased u think merc sucks sir gt... well bmw and merc are technically, equal. they are designed however for different segment of ppl ... mercs for slightly older ppl and bmw more popular with youngsters...
and also about the 350z... well it really sucks.. has good looks.. (MY FRIEND OWNS ONE U CAN ACTUALLY FEEL THE BASS IN UR ASS , BUILD QUALITY IS BETTER IN A FIAT PANDA).. but then again u like the 350z so its all about opionin

now im not saying that clarkson is always right.. but even u are not always right..
i think ur missing the point of this show its jeremy clarksons top gear ...
(ohh and if u have seen the movie by JC called top 100 cars.. he puts the m5 number 10!!... and he admits that tiff would call and make fun of him)

im not arguing saying that the cars u think are better are not... just saying that when it comes to a subject on cars.. it is very subjective...and top gear is not like car and driver or 5th gear.. its more for entertainment.. plus they do give good/unbaised reviews...
oh and ur comkplaining about the 645ci.. well HE PUT IT ON THE COOL WALL .... and if u think the 645 is better than a carrera it is up to u.. (most ppl wouldnt ) but ur not wrong , its what u like

SO IF U REALY ARE GETTING OFFENDED BECAUSE U ARE AMERICAN OR JUST GETTTING OFFENDED AT WHAT HE SAYS .. DONT WATCH THE SHOW..
IM INDIAN AND ONE OF HIS LAST POSTS HE INSULTED HIS NEW ROVER CAR FROM INDIA.. AND THEN MADE FUN OF ONE GUY IN THE STUDIO WHO WAS INDIAN .. .well... i dont like it but then again its just a show...
amanthapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 05:44 AM   #17
TT
Regular User

IMO, if TG is the great show it is, and Jeremy the great host it is, it's because he is bloody biased and bloody funny we all know that he will put cars in the uncool part and he will just answer "because it's like that" and there is no problem at all we can all read lot of reviews everywhere, see vids not done by TG... TG is first of all a TV show and it has to entertain ... it does
Old 06-15-2004, 06:23 AM   #18
amanthapar
Regular User

TT it entertains AND helps us to buy cars... to an extent...lol
Old 06-15-2004, 06:33 AM   #19
TT
Regular User

Well sure, but if you would buy a car just listening to a single person , Jeremy in this case... you always risk to go wrong
Old 06-15-2004, 07:59 AM   #20
adlinyusman
Regular User

damnit, you trying to tell me i shouldn't have listened to jeremy? my last four cars were all his recommendations. bloody he...

y know what. i loved them all, to bits. so jeremy's getting more biased as age and hair loss is creeping up to him; but honestly, buy a car because you want to. not because someone told you to. just because he says don't buy a rover doesn't mean you have to not buy it. be sensible, and don't buy a rover.

adlinyusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 09:05 AM   #21
cooperluke
Regular User

I think Clarkson isn't to be take very seriously, and he knows it, he is biased on purpose and he overreacts a little bit to be funny!
He oftens says that the car X is the best car in the world, and in the show he says that it sucks! lol
I think he is a good host, because he describes the cars well. The only thing is that after that, he considers some of the aspects as defects, (Porsche design, for example) while I (and most people, think of those things as qualities!!

But sometimes he gets me on my nerves!! Do you remember the test drive between the 360 CS and the GT3RS, when he is driving the GT3 and keeping up with Luca Badoer in the CS, and overtaking him??
After doing that in the Porsche, how can he say that the Ferrari is better?
He considers himself better than Luca Badoer??? Give me a break....

But I think he is funny, although not being as good as a pilot as Tiff!

cooperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 09:10 AM   #22
Tomerville
Regular User

I think he is biased too, and not only biased, but so fickle; he makes quick and poor decisions left and right.

"Time is a versitile performer: it flies, marches, heals all wounds, runs out and will tell"
-Franklin Jones

^The definition of grip. Nav+Bose (standard) Arctic Silver on Blue, Heaven on Earth. '05 911 Turbo^
Tomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 09:55 AM   #23
astonmartinandy
Regular User

What do you mean "quick and poor decisions"? Fickle, yeh I can see that point..
"It's not long before Marco arrives, but he's at least five minutes behind an epic wall of noise that's been bouncing off the rock faces like a sonic pinball. Onlookers, of which there are many, seem relieved when the livid red Ferrari skims into view, happier still when they see it's driven by a friendly Italian, and not, as the thunderous sound effects suggested, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse." Evo #059
astonmartinandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 09:59 AM   #24
stradale
Regular User

Although Clarkson is sometimes being a bit childish about cars and oversimplifying or exaggerating things. An example of this are his constant remarks on Alfa Romeo's reliability.

But his biggest problem is that people simply don't listen!!
First of all, it should always be clear he is stating his personal opinions, not facts that are the same to every person on this planet. Reading this thread makes it clear not everyone accepts that.

Second, many people don't differentiate. The example given by Sir_GT on the BMW Z4 shows that. Jeremy was not criticizing it for poor handling, but for its atrocious ride. Tiff tested the car on a smooth track and praised its handling, which is an entirely different thing. EVO's long term reports on the Z4 support this line of thought.
Clarkson can hate a perfectly handling car for lack of character and the other way around. To me he always seems to put the things he likes about cars and the things he doesn't into words very understandably. Whether I agree or not is up to me.

Cars are very debatable. Top Gear regularly shows that with Clarkson, May and Hammond quarreling over cars and not coming to a unanimous verdict. To the people that don't get this: it's your loss. You're obviously not getting as much out of TG as you should. And lastly: lighten up, it's only a bloody opinion!
Old 06-15-2004, 10:03 AM   #25
PATo355
Regular User

Originally Posted by stradale
. To me he always seems to put the things he likes about cars and the things he doesn't into words very understandably. Whether I agree or not is up to me.!
That is a good point , remember the SLR test when he compared a supercar ( salad ) with the SLR ( salad wrapped in bread ) ... it was just so clear ... and also so funny and it happens every show , he simplifies everything ...

As for he thinking he is a good driver ... he always say he is a crappy driver , that Tiff can blow him away .. and he respects him a lot too

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
PATo355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 10:24 AM   #26
ice
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sir_GT
Originally Posted by PATo355
Mmmm .... well , i dont think anyone buys a car based on a car show , you go to the dealer , test drive all your options and end getting one ...

The funny about clarkson is that he always picks the car HE thinks its the best ... and always prefers British cars cuz of his nationalist , you dont need to pick him very serious , we all laugh about his pointless apretiations , and agree in some objetive opinions that he mades ... He just makes his appretiations on cars , very personal ones , and that is why the ppl like the show and like Clarkson ... It would not be as popular if they run something like DRIVEN , giving points for Value for money and Space and WTF ... the show is mainly about how cool a car can be
That's true, but what I don't like is how he puts down brilliant cars just because he feels that the competitor should be the one people should buy, because that's what HE would buy. He could at least call them fantastic, then simply say why he would prefer the other one, because of what type of person he is, therefor he prefers that kind of car. Something like what James (May) does all the time.

Clarkson called the McLaren F1 twitchy, harsh, and all these other expletives, yet the rest of the world disagreed with him. I mean, can't he simply accept that he's not a good enough driver for it? I've read different publications, (in different languages as well) and they all agree that the McLaren F1 is still the car to beat. It's incredible how biased he can be.

Mind you though, a good review (or a bad one) CAN influence your purchase, generally because you trust that the reviewers know more than you do.
The F1 though is exactly what eh said, and im glad a brit finally admitted it. Its neither agile or as good handling as an F40 or F50, and of all the supercars, its the easiest to drive and the most practical. This has to do with its softer suspesin setup and aero geared for 241 mph. The Mac F1 is far from the ultiate sports car. Ultimate GT car, maybe.

By the way, the CDhallenge Stradale vs the 911 GT3 RS, The Cs does deserve to win. IN fact, all mags have put it ahead.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 10:28 AM   #27
adlinyusman
Regular User

yes but for one CS you can ALMOST get two GT3 RS'. Or at least one GT3RS and one used Mk2 GT3. Even i can admit that the RS is excellent value for money; and i'm a ferrari nut.

adlinyusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:57 AM   #28
jakaracman
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sir_GT
He likes the SLR because he said it didn't bite his head off, like the Carrera GT or the McLaren F1. I could've understood it if he said that he prefers the SLR because he can't be bothered to shift gears while going fast whilst seating in a nice comfy interior, but he instead labels the Carrera GT and the McLaren F1 as cars which are not user friendly/difficult to drive/to stressful.
And they are user friendly/difficult to drive/to stressful. That's the point of them, that's why I would like to have one instead of SLR and that's why I would probably get rid of them after a few months. And all that can be understood from JC's words, if you are listening ...
jakaracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 01:52 PM   #29
amanthapar
Regular User

i would not not agree at all if he is biased but i would if someone said he was racsit...

for the first time i actually saw an entire , full, episode of TG and at least 4-5 times they brought up the subject of how stupid the americans are and the fact tat they cant make cars go fast around corners...
well abt the cars going around the corners.. well.. i mean they dont have to rub it in!
Old 06-15-2004, 02:01 PM   #30
graywolf624
Regular User

He is biased, but they all are. I don't watch car shows to decide which car to buy(well other then perhaps when the car is exceptionally bad). I watch the shows because I enjoy them. I mean, look at motor trend magazine. They had the pt cruiser as a car of the year, wheres the journalistic integrity there? Oh yeah, they have none.. But if I were to read that mag, it wouldnt be for that(I dont but its a good example).
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote