Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 10-18-2006, 05:39 PM   #16
gucom
Regular User

i hope he's right, i really hope he didnt use the drugs... if the lab screwed up, they REALLY need to change some things over there... if they did it on purpose, wow that'd disappoint me... anyway lets wait what happens now...
Old 10-18-2006, 05:44 PM   #17
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by gucom
i hope he's right, i really hope he didnt use the drugs... if the lab screwed up, they REALLY need to change some things over there... if they did it on purpose, wow that'd disappoint me... anyway lets wait what happens now...
hmm... reminds me of sudden rule changes, and "suspicious activity" at Le Mans year after year to "favor" french OEM's in the race
Old 10-18-2006, 05:56 PM   #18
TopGearNL
Regular User

We'll see if he's guilty, we have our thoughts in Holland just like Armstrong but we'll see
Old 10-18-2006, 06:13 PM   #19
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by TopGearNL
We'll see if he's guilty, we have our thoughts in Holland just like Armstrong but we'll see
wow, that is presumtions of innocence... and what exactly is that supposed to mean?

tired of americans winning european sports?
Old 10-18-2006, 06:29 PM   #20
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
Originally Posted by TopGearNL
wow, that is presumtions of innocence... and what exactly is that supposed to mean?

tired of americans winning european sports?
Well im not saying he is guilty, we''ll see the outcome and no its not because he's american we have the same thoughts about some spanish/italian and other riders, and they all used drugs :roll:
Old 10-19-2006, 09:31 AM   #21
Mattk
Regular User

So why has it taken them so long to figure out the possible blunders? Or publicise them?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:40 AM   #22
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk
So why has it taken them so long to figure out the possible blunders? Or publicise them?
Yeah, why suddenly?
Old 10-19-2006, 10:33 AM   #23
Mattk
Regular User

I reckon it's because Landis went "I'm fucked, but I'm still going to hire a lawyer to try and get out of this", but I believe in innocence until proven guilty, so we should just wait and see what transpires.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:25 AM   #24
ae86_16v
Regular User

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug...=afp&type=lgns

Originally Posted by AFP
BRUSSELS (AFP) - American Floyd Landis, who is expected to be stripped of the Tour de France yellow jersey for testing positive after this year's race, said his cycling career may be practically over.

Landis won the race in spectacular fashion this year to succeed his now-retired compatriot Lance Armstrong, the iconic seven-time winner of the world's biggest bike race.

However days after his triumph it emerged that Landis had tested positive for the banned male sex hormone testosterone after his spectacular victory on stage 17, which resurrected his bid for the yellow jersey.

Landis, who grew up in a strict Mennonite Christian community in Pennsylvania, has always protested his innocence.

And while weighing up his future, he told the Belgian press that even if he is cleared by an American arbitration body early in the new year, he will likely miss the coming season.

"There's a minute chance of me racing again in 2007," the 31-year-old is reported as saying in Belgian dailies Het Laatste Nieuws and Het Gazet van Antwerpen.

"Even if I'm not suspended, who will want to sign me?"

Landis's positive test prompted his former team, Phonak, to pull out of cycling. Their place in cycling's Pro Tour series was on Friday awarded to Swedish-Belgian outfit Unibet.

Landis added: "And if they suspend me for two or four years - a humiliation which I hope doesn't happen - it's over for me.

"As things stand now, I don't see myself as a bike racer."

Landis has claimed that inconsistencies by the French laboratory which analysed his samples led to his positive result.

And he claims he is now fighting for his personal reputation, and not just his career.

"I've never taken testosterone, I would have been stupid to because you just can't get away with it (in doping tests).

"What it comes down to is that I'm being accused of stupidity more than doping."

If found guilty, Landis would be the first rider in the modern era to be stripped of the Tour de France's yellow jersey. In the event, it will be handed to his former teammate Oscar Pereiro of Spain.

Landis lamented: "Even if I'm proved innocent, my reputation is ruined."

Ahead of the festive season, Landis - whose father-in-law committed suicide, in still unclear circumstances, not long after the news of his positive test became public - said he wants a simple wish for Christmas.

"To have a day without any worries," he said.

"This whole affair has ruined my life.

"My father-in-law committed suicide. There must be a link to what happened. He was my best friend and my biggest supporter."
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 05:45 AM   #25
Mattk
Regular User

Ah, the plot thickens. Sort of.