Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 12-08-2006, 08:01 PM   #16
Stoopie
Regular User

Location: United Provinces of the Kingdom of Great Netherlands

Originally Posted by TopGearNL
IMO if somebody really wants to learn something and is really determined to do so he/she can do it, no matter what age!

I did VWO in holland RC, some mates of mine did VWO+ that contained Latin and Greek, Ill try and see if I can dig anything up.
I mean this message
Stoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:03 PM   #17
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by Stoopie
Originally Posted by TopGearNL
IMO if somebody really wants to learn something and is really determined to do so he/she can do it, no matter what age!

I did VWO in holland RC, some mates of mine did VWO+ that contained Latin and Greek, Ill try and see if I can dig anything up.
I mean this message
Ah ok I see, just didn't know what you meant with it mate since you didn't quote it

RC is the one that had the question, since you studied it maybe you can give him some resources?
Old 12-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #18
blinkmeat
Regular User

Get some textbooks - and tell her good luck - in reality she won't retain it for long given her age and environment
blinkmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:07 PM   #19
Stoopie
Regular User

Location: United Provinces of the Kingdom of Great Netherlands

@TopGearNL: np

@RC45: I'm off to bed now, but will try to answer your questions tomorrow again! *yawn*

Btw > which country do you need the resources for RC45?
Stoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:26 PM   #20
gangajas
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mr.Vercetti
gangajas to you speak greek? Cause in you sig I see the word "Τέλος", which means end.
No, but E. Arvanitaki is one of my favourite singers. I visited her web (I'm a spaniard and her web is also in spanish), the lyrics are in greek and translated to spanish, so I took that word to put it at the end of my signature.
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:31 PM   #21
gangajas
Regular User

Originally Posted by Stoopie
Please, allow me to know a bit more about ancient greek than you. To give you an idea of how difficult they are, we Greeks start to learn them in junior high. The Greek alphabet is very different than the modern latin. Modern Greek are a very difficult language. Ancient greek are 10 times harder to say the least. But if she feels that she can cope with it then it would be great.
Kids are the best learners in the world, I think that if the kid really wants to study it, it should!
Yes, but there are some complicated things that you can't learn when you are a child. When I was 8 years old it 'd have been impossible to me to learn how to do, for instance, triple integrals.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:34 PM   #22
graywolf624
Regular User

Try
http://www.kypros.org/LearnGreek/

I used it to learn regular greek.. They opened up ancient greek classes recently. It seemed to work well.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:23 PM   #23
Z3uS
Regular User

Latin is a nice language, had couple of classes while younger and for me, a native portuguese speaker i didnt find pronunciation or writing dificult dont know what a foreigner would think of it though.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:49 PM   #24
RC45
Regular User

Please, allow me to know a bit more about ancient greek than you.
I don't need to "allow" you anything.. you've told me in no uncertain terms you are the expert and I am the idiot

To give you an idea of how difficult they are, we Greeks start to learn them in junior high.
Well - maybe modern Greeks just aren't as clever as your ancient counterparts.

In fact - if modern Greece was anything as intellectual as ancient Greece you would still be a super powerrather than a 2bit trading aniton

The Greek alphabet is very different than the modern latin. Modern Greek are a very difficult language.
If you say so.. but I need to point out that "The Complete Idiots Guide to Learning Greek" is a pretty good seller

Ancient greek are 10 times harder to say the least. But if she feels that she can cope with it then it would be great.
Well, who said she wants to be able to coverse in Greek, maybe she just wats to be able to read it... she's read somel Homer in English and has a dream of reading it in Greek - so who am I or anyone else to tell her she should not at least try?
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:08 PM   #25
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by gangajas
She can learn the languages (although I think greek is going to be more difficult because the signs are different?) but if she doesn't talk with people that use those languages she is going to forget them. My father studied a lot of latin because he was in a religious school, but he has forgot everything because when he left the school he didn't use latin anymore.
Well, I think the chance of engaging people in conversaiton ancient greek is pretty slim.. so for her it would be a resource to allow her to study old manuscripts.

And with regards to latin, many people study it and lose their fluency but retain the value it adds to the overall general knowldge.

We picked up "The Complete Idiots Guide to Learning Latin" and a book of Latin Phrases for he this evening.

We couldn't find any ancient Greek resources, so she decided to tackle Latin first.

And to place her level of reading prowess and interest in perspective we picked up great leather bound volume that she has asked for for a while "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare - the Yale Edition"

When an 8 year old can read Tintin, Asterix, The Encyclopedia of the Art and Inventins of Leonardo Da Vinci, The Illustrated History of the Royal Navy, Greek Mythology, Peter Rabbits Giant Storybook, The Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright, The Atlas of the Human Anatomy, Beneath the North Atlantic and Treasure Island as well as misc Nation Audobon Society Field Guides and Archie comics , who am I to try curtail her thirst for knowledge? If she wants to learn Latin, it is my duty to provide her with the resources and encourage to do so.

Oh and lest you think she is a timid nerd, she can hold her own at a Muscle Car Show and knows her way around the paddock of a race track and has even asked for a pocket bike or go-kart for her birthday so she can learn to race.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:56 PM   #26
graywolf624
Regular User

We couldn't find any ancient Greek resources, so she decided to tackle Latin first.
Way to ignore me.. thanks..

*The greek school system sucks even worse then US public school.. Hardly the example yardstick... I really enjoyed the stories about country wide public school protests by school age children due to the complete ineptitude of the programs available back in the 80s. Having to go to a second school just to get basic college prep is .. well.. sad.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:03 AM   #27
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
Way to ignore me.. thanks..

*The greek school system sucks even worse then US public school.. Hardly the example yardstick... I really enjoyed the stories about country wide public school protests by school age children due to the complete ineptitude of the programs available back in the 80s. Having to go to a second school just to get basic college prep is .. well.. sad.
sorry man..

We'll register online hehe

We hit Barnes and Noble this evening - so Latin is all they had - I guess we may need to hit up a college book store for the Greek text books
Old 12-09-2006, 12:04 AM   #28
novass
Regular User

I took advanced Latin in High School for all 4 years, not that that really helps you know LOL As far as outside resources go, im afraid I have nothing to offer you so my post is pretty pointless

Its great that she wants to learn Latin at such an early age, it will end up being a lot easier for her in the future to learn more of it as well as other languages and English too. English is Germanic, but roughly 52% of our words come from Latin origins.

"Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi
novass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:45 AM   #29
gangajas
Regular User

I skip all the attacks to the greeks.....

Originally Posted by RC45
Well, who said she wants to be able to coverse in Greek, maybe she just wats to be able to read it... she's read somel Homer in English and has a dream of reading it in Greek - so who am I or anyone else to tell her she should not at least try?
If she wants to read those books in ancient greek he will have to dominate the language like a native with university studies. I'm not saying that she won't be able to learn the language, only that if she achieves that it'd be a great achievement.

There a lot of very interesting old books written in Chinese and Arab (those civilisations reached a very high level of knowledge in the past) and considering how the world is moving these languages can be very useful to her in the future.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:15 AM   #30
Mr.Vercetti
Regular User

RC45 r u some kind of hater or your just a plain 0 level IQ?...

Yeah, Ill just skip too all the attacks to the Greeks and suggest you to go and buy all the Hercules and Xena dvd's for yourself... I tried to tell you in very simple terms that its extremely difficult. You turned this thread into an antiGreek thread. Clearly u got some serious issues.

Ohh.. and yeah... at this specific issue between you and me I am the expert and you are the ignorant like it or not...