Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > What You Saw Today

What You Saw Today Got a camera or camcorder ?? Why not put it to good use and show us what you have captured with it today !!!

Old 10-14-2005, 09:34 AM   #16
Pehtren
Regular User

hmm nice car but a 4000$ its not much for this car.

you have a z8
Pehtren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:52 AM   #17
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by ccarlisi
$4,000 extra for items that should have come standard on an M product. $64k is a lot of money for what is still basically a modified 3-series.
Haha, yeah right it is really a modified 3 Series (with sarcasm) :roll: .
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 11:22 AM   #18
430csjj
Regular User

$4,000 extra for items that should have come standard on an M product. $64k is a lot of money for what is still basically a modified 3-series.

Thats bs. We have owned a 330i and an M3 and they are totally different.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:43 AM   #19
Pehtren
Regular User

Originally Posted by 430csjj

they are different in price sport suspension and sport package
Old 10-14-2005, 12:52 PM   #20
ae86_16v
Regular User

^ Have you even driven either one?!?! :roll:
Old 10-14-2005, 02:21 PM   #21
Pehtren
Regular User

Originally Posted by ae86_16v
no but these are diferrences i know

have you drivenn them
Old 10-14-2005, 07:28 PM   #22
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by pehtren
no but these are diferrences i know

have you drivenn them
No I have not driven the Competition Package but a E46 M3 and E46 330i ZHP I have driven. And the differences between them are far from JUST "sport suspension and sport package".
Old 10-15-2005, 12:03 AM   #23
ZfrkS62
Regular User

<= probabbly the only one here who HAS driven both

The M3 ZCP (oh i don't know anymore. i'm notin sales so i don't care) rides much better than the regular M3.

The regular M3 is over dampened and under sprung which results in it's hard, choppy ride. The Competition Package however is set much better. They hit the common ground with the spring/damper set up. The choppiness is gone and the handling is much improved over it. The M3 is a couple levels above the 330 Sport Package in many, many ways. It's much more than "basically modified 3 series" (which my coworkers had a HUGE laugh over, btw)

by the time you got done upgrading a 330, you'd have about bought an M3 with the combined cost (330 + upgrades) of the upgrades. the suspension, engine work (programming + forced induction + tuning) gears, shifter and tires, will end up tacking on another 10-20K, depending on what you pick.

(due to a tire dilemma today, i wasn't able to get any new pics of it.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 12:28 AM   #24
CMonakar
Regular User

I have driven both and was one of the first people on the waiting list when the E46 came out. I have historically been a big fan of the M models. The E36 generated great numbers both in terms of acceleration and handling, felt great on the limit with plenty of warning and feedback, and generally felt very light on its feet especially for its weight. However, I have always felt the E46 is more of a luxury car with a big motor than a street legal track car. IMO the latter is what the M division made its mark with, but recently they seemed to have taken the edge off the products to chase a bigger market segment, and now they seem to be charging a hefty premium to the real enthusiasts get it back.

. . . .and it is still just a 3 series with a hot motor and revised suspension . . .for almost 2x the cost of the base model! If Honda charged 38,000 for the Si version of the civic, or Subaru wanted 40 instead of 32 for the STI do you also think that would be reasonable?

There is nothing wrong with the 3-series. I liked my roommate's 330i coupe better than the 540i 6-speed I had. In fact, I prefer the 330 to the M3. From what I remember the 330 had sharper turn in than the M and the motor sounds a hell of a lot better. I just don't think the current M is a good value and I think BMW is extorting the enthusiast customers by charging a $4000 premium for what the standard car should have came with.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:37 AM   #25
ZfrkS62
Regular User

ok, to be fair, 64 is a bit steep but this dumbass slowed it down and primped up the price by about 2K by adding navigation and another couple grand with the premium package.

SMG option was another 2400.

so take all that shit out and you're into the high 50'S which i believe the base M3 started out around low 50's. Our SMG M3 convertible was about 55K in STEP.

You also need to realize that the S54 is about a 22K engine and the car is built in the same factory as the F1 team is based out of. This is evident by the leading 3 digits of the VIN. WBA for the regular production cars (with exception of the X5 [5UX] and Z4 [4US i believe] which are US built), and WBS for the M cars.

You complain that the M3 is 2x the cost of a regular 3, yet look at the Corvette compared to the rest of the Chevy line. and then remember the BMW is a high end line (ok, not nearly as high as Ferrari, but still...)

Old 10-15-2005, 02:38 AM   #26
Pehtren
Regular User

hmm guys i read this, and i still dont belive it
because the m3 is for me one of most beautiful cars (i dont like the 2006 m3 or 2007)
i still dont belive it

Old 10-15-2005, 01:10 PM   #27
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by 430csjj

Well - both are overweight, slow, overpriced yuppie-saloon-coupe-can't-decide-what-it-wants-to-be -
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 02:56 PM   #28
ae86_16v
Regular User

I have driven both and was one of the first people on the waiting list when the E46 came out. I have historically been a big fan of the M models. The E36 generated great numbers both in terms of acceleration and handling, felt great on the limit with plenty of warning and feedback, and generally felt very light on its feet especially for its weight. However, I have always felt the E46 is more of a luxury car with a big motor than a street legal track car. IMO the latter is what the M division made its mark with, but recently they seemed to have taken the edge off the products to chase a bigger market segment, and now they seem to be charging a hefty premium to the real enthusiasts get it back.

. . . .and it is still just a 3 series with a hot motor and revised suspension . . .for almost 2x the cost of the base model! If Honda charged 38,000 for the Si version of the civic, or Subaru wanted 40 instead of 32 for the STI do you also think that would be reasonable?

There is nothing wrong with the 3-series. I liked my roommate's 330i coupe better than the 540i 6-speed I had. In fact, I prefer the 330 to the M3. From what I remember the 330 had sharper turn in than the M and the motor sounds a hell of a lot better. I just don't think the current M is a good value and I think BMW is extorting the enthusiast customers by charging a $4000 premium for what the standard car should have came with.
Good points. But the market is willing to pay that and I am sure they did their homework. I would love to buy an all out track model M3 at $30k too. But that isn't going to happen. I personally own a E36 M3 and love everything about it. The only real thing I like the E46 more is then engine and the lines. That car looks so beautiful. And the engine is always in symphony.

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
ok, to be fair, 64 is a bit steep but this dumbass slowed it down and primped up the price by about 2K by adding navigation and another couple grand with the premium package.

SMG option was another 2400.

so take all that shit out and you're into the high 50'S which i believe the base M3 started out around low 50's. Our SMG M3 convertible was about 55K in STEP.

You also need to realize that the S54 is about a 22K engine and the car is built in the same factory as the F1 team is based out of. This is evident by the leading 3 digits of the VIN. WBA for the regular production cars (with exception of the X5 [5UX] and Z4 [4US i believe] which are US built), and WBS for the M cars.

You complain that the M3 is 2x the cost of a regular 3, yet look at the Corvette compared to the rest of the Chevy line. and then remember the BMW is a high end line (ok, not nearly as high as Ferrari, but still...)
Exactly. . . $22k for an engine sure adds to the bottomline.

As far as the Navi option, that is debatable, maybe he really needs it as a primary car. The SMG is definitely needed to track. I personally prefer the 6speed, but if it was a track purpose car then the SMG is needed and the Navi is not .
Old 10-15-2005, 06:09 PM   #29
ZfrkS62
Regular User

well, i may have embellished a bit on the engien price. a remaned S62 long block is about 15K, and that isn't including the throttle bodies, which i think are like 500 apiece. so, i can only figure an S54 is somewhere in there, if not a little more.

but it is a bit more expensive than a typical engine.

The nav i think is stupid. Half the fun of getting lost is having an excuse to keep driving

Old 10-15-2005, 08:21 PM   #30
RC45
Regular User

^^^ It is not actually that unusual for special option engines to caryy stupid prices - and then if you try purchase some of the components as upgrades they add even more stupid prices.

The stock throttle body assembly on the RC45 is about $3600.00 - the stage 1 setup is about $12,000.

That's just the throttle body assembly mind you... you still don't have the intake, cams, heads, rotating assembly or exhaust to go with it...

Sometimes the whole package is just for bragging rights, as you really never get to fully exploit what you buy...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote