Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 09-05-2004, 06:14 AM   #16
jon_s
Regular User

My computer is running a bit better, but not as good as it used to! I am waiting for windows to come throught the post Then I will re-format.

I used to fun McAfee firewall, but it caused more trouble than it is worth. I will look into Zone Alarm.
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 10:26 PM   #17
jamberl
Regular User

Yes, zonealarm is definitely worth it.

It can be a bit annoying at the start, as everytime a program tries to access the net it asks 'do you want to allow this program to access the internet'. Then you can select 'yes', 'no' and it will remember what you said, and not ask you again.
Sometimes this means you can get booted out of games and back to the desktop if they try and access the internet, but you just select 'yes' or 'no' and it remembers for next time.

It makes you realise how much windows and almost all games (and some apps) try to access the net..... not sure why some of them need to, though
jamberl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 10:44 PM   #18
DeMoN
Regular User

Get Spybot - Search & Destroy (install it with TeaTimer so that it activelly blocks all incoming spyware stuff). Also get SpySweeper (try to find a crack for this cuz this one isnt free).

Whatever Spybot cant remove the first time, it will remove next scan. (It will prompt you if you want to schedule a scan next reboot).

Looking at your startup list, you have a SHITLOAD of crap there. No way it should have so much. Get "TuneUp Utillities 2004"

With TuneUp Utillities you can do a registry scan/fix a startup cleaner (remove all unwanted stuff starting up with your comp) and do a general checkup of errors.

With these progs you cant go wrong.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:34 PM   #19
ferrari550
Regular User

hey Demon, i just downloaded "tuneup utilities 2004", i am looking at tune up system information and it is showing a bunch of things, (i am using 66% of my memory, is that good bad?, how do i make it better?), what things do i need to change or should i change to make my cmoputer more efficient?

another things is tuneup startup manager and tuneup system control, how do i know if my computer is ok or not? This is all new to me so thats why i am asking, i don't want to change anything that will screw my computer up in anyway.
so if demon or anyone can help that would be great.

thanks a lot
Old 09-21-2004, 01:49 PM   #20
abbor
Regular User

Too get a key, just install serials2k from www.serials.to
No spy- or adware or anything..
abbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 12:15 AM   #21
pyre2099
Regular User

I have 3 different spyware progs, cause not all of them find the same things. I run Webroot SpySweeper, prolly one of the best, Ad-Aware SE 1.05 Pro, another good one, and Spybot Search & Destroy, which is a free one that is nice. I got them all from torrents on www.suprnova.org.