Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos > Videogames

Old 12-10-2005, 08:51 PM   #16
RC45
Regular User

OK - obviously everyone is just being obtuse here.

As a matter of fact and practice, EB Games, and Gamestop have ALWAYS had consoles configured and hooked up with some of the latest greatest titles inserted and ready for "try before you buy".

Perhaps in all your backwards ass hick towns the game stores are so small that the idea of having 3 or consoles hooked up to TV's for people to try and play them is a foreign concept... but around these parts it is not

In fact there has always been at least 1 open copy of EVERY new game lcoked up behind the counter - and you simply ask "How about putting place title here into the system - I heard it's great".
And then in it oges, youmuck about with it for 5 minutes - and walk out with your purchased copy.

Try before you buy as "rent concept" is all very well if you plan on renting it. But if you plan on buying it... it's a new hit, it's inserted in the demo console and there for people to try and get incented to buy it.

PGR 3 is a latet hot hit - to have many other titles in the deom XBox360 but NOT have that title is plain stupid.

And to back me up, every other adult person I interacted with in the various stores was of the same opinion. If they are not willing to put the latest hot title in the demo system, they are being stupid.

I am so looking forward to PS3 sales just squashing this whole XBox concept flat once and for all.

Originally Posted by TT
Indeed, I don't see the fuss. For sure around here if you walk in a store and ask to test a random game they'll laugh at you. As said, there are rentals for this and if everybody would need to test a game before buying, every store would need like 10 consoles with ppl working on this all day long.
Not at all - this was always one of the great things about GameStop - being able to ask to check out a new title - hell they even ahad return policy if you think the game sucks the day you take it home.

They noramlly had at least one open copy of each game anyway, so you just had that open title put in the console - otherwise it gets opened, becomes an instore open title (that can still be sold) and you see it hooked up.

I had a numebr of discussions with a regional manager who noted that obscure title sales atually increased when the title was set up and displayed...

Originally Posted by TT
It's normal to have 2 or 3 consoles with the latest big hits available to be used, but that's it. (and in town every VG store has various Xbox360 used for this tast)

What surprises me is that so far you never had problems with this strange request LOL
Why would I have problems with an acepted practice.. And besides, there are probably 100 game shops in Houston, they need to differentiate themselves to attract customers

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
Originally Posted by RC45
FPS are really best left to PC"s anyway... and isn't that just a regular XBox title?
i don't think so. I'll check the comercial next time i see it. If it wasn't BiA it was another WW2 FPS, ut it was undoubtedly the 360 as it was sitting in plain view behind the display case, and the graphics were fuckin CLEAN
I am not doubting that it was in an XBox360 - I am just wondering if it wasn't an XBox title in a 360 .
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:59 PM   #17
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
FPS are really best left to PC"s anyway... and isn't that just a regular XBox title?
i don't think so. I'll check the comercial next time i see it. If it wasn't BiA it was another WW2 FPS, ut it was undoubtedly the 360 as it was sitting in plain view behind the display case, and the graphics were fuckin CLEAN
Pffff man, do you want to see some of my FarCry screens? No console will ever look as good.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 09:08 PM   #18
TT
Regular User

Well, it still sounds just weird for me... I mean, probably over there you have HUGE stores who can just open a tons of games and wait for ppl to ask for a test, btu around here it wouldn't be doable.
And to be honest, to me it's like walking into a supermarket and as to taste everything before deciding to buy. Sipping some soda, making them cook some cow bits while somebody prepares some boiling water for the pasta, puts a pizza in a owen...
Old 12-10-2005, 09:12 PM   #19
RC45
Regular User

^^ Not even a close comparison.

Anyway - has ANYONE seen a store with the demo system with PGR3 in it?

I mean the demo disc has some crappy games on it... but has anyone seen PGR3 being demoed?
Old 12-10-2005, 09:13 PM   #20
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by sentra_dude
That's a lame ass policy by Microsoft. :roll:

..., has anyone played PGR:3? .... but I wonder how it plays...?
EXACTLY!!!!!...
if it plays exactly the same as PGR 2... with improved graphics/ sound... then it would be worth it to me... i mean... i thought the epansion packs for PGR2 were worth thier 5$

that said.... im not going to be buying an Xbox 360 for some time... and when i do... i'll try and work my magic again to buy one for WELL BELOW cost besides...the only games im looking forward to at the moment are Halo 3, and PGR3....

that leaves the PS3... only one game im currently looking forward to, GT5

on topic on micro$h4f7..... well, thats utter, and total shit... unless microsoft knew that the heat generated by all the CPU's/GPUs/ram would be too much for the power supply to handle keeping its own cool... i havent yet seen a Demo xbox 360 overheated... and, im not saying its because they are all 'good' versions ... just less demanding on the hardware :idea:
Old 12-10-2005, 09:20 PM   #21
ZfrkS62
Regular User

TT- The reason behind it is, that with today's ripping technlogy, you can't return a game or dvd if you don't like it. not ven for store credit, you have to sell it back to them as a previouly played game for like 5 bucks. So it's really more beneficial for a store to allow you to demo the game before buying it.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 09:29 PM   #22
TT
Regular User

Well, I partially agree, but there never was the opportunity to test DVDs and such, and there too, if you don't like the movie you are fucked. I mean, there is a part of risk when buying such things, but with the net and such, today we can read if we want, thousands of reviews, tests, preview to build a general idea about the game/movie/whatever. Of course this can't always save you from buying something you don't like in the end, but same goes for a VG you tested like 5 min in a crowded store while standing still, unable to hear the sounds coming from "your" TV...
Old 12-10-2005, 09:29 PM   #23
RC45
Regular User

PS3 and GT5, Enthusia 2, Riding Spirits 3, Tourist Trphy 2...

XBox360 and Forza2, PGR3 and perhaps SegaGT360 or something..

I don't realy know if there is anything else worth while..

Any word on a proper decent funcitonal force-feeback wheel for the XBox360 yet?
Old 12-11-2005, 02:28 AM   #24
exhausted mules
Regular User

rentals ppl...

its not a new concept.

lol.
exhausted mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:13 AM   #25
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by exhausted mules
rentals ppl...

its not a new concept.

lol.
You still don't get it... game rentals have been around for decades... this is not the issue.

The issue is having one of the premiere launch titles available as part of the demo suite where the demo consoles are setup.

THAT is the point.

6 obscure and little known titles setup for random use does not showboat one of the most expensive and supposade capable consoles ever sold.

The idea of not having every XBox360 setup with PGR3 and may Madden2006 or whatever is quite stupid.

That is the point of this entire thread...

Afterall, if you haven't bought the console yet, then a rental is not much use - is it.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:33 AM   #26
exhausted mules
Regular User

you can rent the console at any blockbuster.

and i'm sure you weren't thinking of just the premiere titles at the begining of this thread.
exhausted mules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:17 AM   #27
jon_s
Regular User

I have seen it demoed in the shops. Not had a go myself, but watched someone else play for a bit. It looked impressive fx wise. Can't say on the game play

I don't know what shops are like elsewhere, but if you take GAME over here. The majority of game boxes are empty. They keep all the discs in a locked cupboard. You take the empty box to the counter and they go and find the bits and bobs.

I have to admit, I have never asked to demo a specific game. Mainly because the majority of best sellers can be found playing already. Having said that, I usually pop into the biggest store in the country as it is on my way home from work.

MAybe I will go and video it for you RC
jon_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 08:20 AM   #28
Shinigami
Regular User

A local supermarket has a 360 system running PGR3. I would have liked to give it a go, but it was food shopping time and so I had no time to wait for the other guys to stop playing (which it seemed they were not ready to do anytime soon anyway).

But the game looked really nice, interesting blurring effects for passing trees and stuff like that.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:25 PM   #29
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by exhausted mules
you can rent the console at any blockbuster.

and i'm sure you weren't thinking of just the premiere titles at the begining of this thread.
And again - I didn't need to think about the premieretitles at the begining of the thread - although this thread was abotu the XBox360 and one of it's premiere titles..

There is reason why I have not bought many console driving games that plain sucked, is because as AL has pointed out... the disc from the empty containers on the shelf was popped into a console so we could see how badly the game sucked.. -- or not
Old 12-11-2005, 04:08 PM   #30
nthfinity
Regular User

^^^
i bought Burnout 3 on recomendation from others... and its perfectly the worst video game i've ever bought... if i had played it before i bought it, i would have another 38$