Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 06-21-2004, 11:08 PM   #16
trza2k
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ford Capri 2.8i
I hope that Toyota will release a new Supra maintaining the performances current Supra, or Toyota launch a new Supra in order to compete against the Ferrari 360 Modena, or any Porsche 911...on the other hand.......in my opinion Mazda and Nissan have gone backwards when getting softer, but less brutal new models (RX-8, and the 350Z respectively) instead of their former RX-7 and the 300ZX Biturbo
Well "apparantly" these older engines 13bt/2jzgte/sr20det are not new emmisions law compliant and was a major reason for all these cars pulling out of the market (supra,rx7,silvia,mr2-t). I don't know how true this is but alot of RWD sports turbo got pulled when they had good sales!.
trza2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 11:35 PM   #17
graywolf624
Regular User

supra,rx7,silvia,mr2-t). I don't know how true this is but alot of RWD sports turbo got pulled when they had good sales!.
The didn't have as good sales as your thinking. That is why you don't see them anymore. The sports car market is odd. It ebbs and tides. We're back on an up swing but not 5 years ago we were on a down swing. Take the fbodies.. Pre 99 they were losing money with the cars.. Thats how supressed the market was. That turned around in 2000 and later. Now you can't tell me theres that much difference between a 99 and a 98(they both have the same styling and the ls1 engine). Same thing for the supra.. It was ok sales, but not really comparable to the market requirements.

The rx-7 may or may not have met requirements though and we dont get the silvia. The wenkel engines have a long history of being poor in terms of emissions. It took alot to get them cleaned up for the rx-8. That being said this 2006 rx-7 is supposed to basically be a 2 door rx-8 from all ive heard.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote