Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 06-22-2008, 04:36 PM   #16
thiago
Regular User

Exclamation

I am really enjoying F1 again after the Michael Schumacher/Ferrari years where I got kind of bored as I wasn't a fan of Fernando Alonso, Jacques Villenueve struggled to stay mid-field, and the frustration waiting for JPM to win races. I got excited about F1 again watching Lewis Hamilton last year and the rest of the show has been better than I've seen it in the last 10 years.
You got that right, F-1 was very boring with Schumacher's dominance and the 80/20 he had on Ferrari (80% priority for him 20% for second driver) didn't really provide a good sport/spectacle for the viewers as we always knew that he'd be "the man" with some "artificial flavors added" to it. With these new, young and talented drivers and decent rules attempting to make the sport more attractive F-1 is finally getting there and putting a great show for all of the enthusiast to see. I'm having a blast this year; specially after I joined this great website.

My passion for F-1 started when I was 11 (1991) by watching Senna as he drove his white and red McLaren to perfection on the tracks. For years, every Sunday always had a greater meaning that just a day to get some rest, go to church and play soccer on the street (back in Brazil) type of thing. It was the day to watch Senna pull off some tricks; do some of his magic, take off from pole and win the race. Beautiful Sundays were those. After his death, to me, the sport was not the same. Being from Brazil, I could not stand seeing my countrymen not winning races like Senna did. Barrichello had his moments but he was overshadowed by Schumacher's dominance inside Ferrari. Thank God, now we have Massa representing us with some great driving skills, aggressiveness, great car and a more than fair 50/50 share between him and Räikkönen. Giving us that great spectacle that we all wanted to see back when Schumacher was racing.

I'm looking forward to the British Grand Prix on July 6th!

Yes! Da-lhe Massa! Porra!
thiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #17
arguapacha
Regular User

It will be hard to find someone like Senna... much has been said of others, like JPM, my countryman, but times have changed, and to be a 'real' champion now requires to be smart, not only in the track, but also out of it, specially because the driver still seems to have changed roles: the engineers do a LOT of the work ontrack, so the driver must be intelligent enough to make them do what the driver wants...

anyway... too much musing... the race was great, and Massa deserved the win, although my kudos go to Trulli... the driver of the race, by far. MacLaren... well... they have their ups and downs... more of the second ones, but they are still there. Personally I don't like McLaren nor Williams, but just a matter of taste, I guess.
arguapacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #18
SHIZL
Regular User

could of been a little more interesting race yet the stewards and the officials decided not to let it wonder if they will allow trulli to keep 3rd after hitting heikki anyway awesome track unfortantly not very good for passing too bad they dont dock points instead of making the races not as good for the fans
SHIZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #19
thiago
Regular User

I think it was sad that Lewis (boy, he's having a hard time this season) had that penalty for going over the chicane AFTER he passed Vettel (for what I was able to see, Vettel somewhat opened the way for him to pass by going all the way to the right before the chicane and he didn't seem to be trying to avoid being overtaken by Lewis, otherwise he'd stayed right in the middle of the track following the pack) to begin with... It wouldn't surprise me if they did that to Trulli.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #20
Mattk
Regular User

^I think we can distinguish the two incidents. Hamilton went onto the green run-off area because of his passing manoeuvre. He had stuffed up the turn and should really have let Vettel go by. With Trulli, he had the prime position, and the move was never really going to work for Kovalainen unless Trulli let him by.

For me, the highlight of the race was at the end - when the battle for 3rd really heated up. A great drive by Trulli to fend off Kovalainen. A pity for Raikonnen, whose exhaust blew up, but it's a testament to great 21st car design that he managed to last another 30 laps. A deserved victory for Massa - he did nothing wrong, and was very fast.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #21
5vz-fe
Regular User

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...22214255.shtml

"He had a better exit than me from the Adelaide hairpin," Vettel explained. "I was inside, to defend my position, and had the better line for curves six and seven. Lewis arrived with more speed; I went from the gas and braked and he kept going. For me it was clear that he was going to cut the chicane."

The 20-year-old German said Hamilton would not have been penalised had he immediately let him take back the position.

"He cut the chicane completely," he said. "I had a similar situation at the Monaco chicane, when I was too late on the brakes. I overtook two cars but I let them go again and so the issue was settled.

"If someone stays out in front, there is a penalty. I think he should have let me past again because he had a better car and could have passed me again."
Old 06-22-2008, 09:18 PM   #22
arguapacha
Regular User

True indeed, but it is hard to see that when you are a stubborn. (Been there... )
Old 06-22-2008, 09:48 PM   #23
thiago
Regular User

Originally Posted by Mattk View Post
^I think we can distinguish the two incidents. Hamilton went onto the green run-off area because of his passing manoeuvre. He had stuffed up the turn and should really have let Vettel go by. With Trulli, he had the prime position, and the move was never really going to work for Kovalainen unless Trulli let him by.

For me, the highlight of the race was at the end - when the battle for 3rd really heated up. A great drive by Trulli to fend off Kovalainen. A pity for Raikonnen, whose exhaust blew up, but it's a testament to great 21st car design that he managed to last another 30 laps. A deserved victory for Massa - he did nothing wrong, and was very fast.
I agree with you on that, he should have given up the position to avoid the penalty. BUT he would have passed him anyhow. The only thing that's killing Lewis is probably his eagerness to win and get in the front on the first lap... If he just waited patiently some more throughout the race he'd probably have better luck with a better result in the end.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:50 PM   #24
5vz-fe
Regular User

^Yeah, I think the pressure is wearing him thin. Similar to the blown he suffer in Shanghai last year.
Totally avoidable, but his eager to win hinder his judgment.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:52 PM   #25
thiago
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe View Post
^Yeah, I think the pressure is wearing him thin. Similar to the blown he suffer in Shanghai last year.
Yup...
Old 06-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #26
Mattk
Regular User

A bit like Massa at the beginning of the season. He had an initial failure in the first grand prix and it just seemed that he was pushing too hard to catch up. Then he started winning and getting his confidence back up. A lot of sportsmen just feel the need to push harder when the chips are down, when the best option is to probably do the opposite.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:21 PM   #27
Kissyface
Regular User

Default French GP, cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5vz-fe

Yup...
...and it will probably be even more difficult for him next race in his home country where the pressure from the media and his fans will be huge.
Shnitzel
Kissyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:30 PM   #28
arguapacha
Regular User

Can his attitude be confused with the one Gilles Villeneuve demonstrated back in the 80's and made hhim famous still today? Or am I just missing the point? I reckon I haven't seen much of Gilles' races...|
Old 06-23-2008, 12:31 AM   #29
gobs3z
Regular User

A few points about hami...
He's young as hell, and almost won the championship last year...Pressure is an understatement this year since he should be doing better than he did last year. His dad is a huge problem for him and his image (can't stand the crazy father scenario). Hami will grow more patient with time, and hopefully more modest. He's a great driver and will no doubt win the championship at some point. I'm curious as to how serious he's taking this since he's making so much money and living a dream at such a young age.

P.S. Go Massa!!!!

"If we could read the secret histories of our enemies, we would find in each story enough sorrow and suffering to disarm all hostility." Longfellow
gobs3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:13 AM   #30
thiago
Regular User

Originally Posted by gobs3z View Post
A few points about hami...
He's young as hell, and almost won the championship last year...Pressure is an understatement this year since he should be doing better than he did last year. His dad is a huge problem for him and his image (can't stand the crazy father scenario). Hami will grow more patient with time, and hopefully more modest. He's a great driver and will no doubt win the championship at some point. I'm curious as to how serious he's taking this since he's making so much money and living a dream at such a young age.

P.S. Go Massa!!!!
Yes!!!

On May 23rd, 1993 on the streets on Monte Carlo - Ayrton Senna, after winning the race, managed to hold the leadership of the category. That was the last time we had one of our countryman leading the Formula 1 Championship. Yes, it's been some long 15 years, and now, after Felipe Massa's victory in France, he takes the top spot in F-1 back to the Brazilian fans. So now we have another reason to cheer ourselves up (after Senna's death) and have our flag; our anthem; and most importantly: the pride of being Brazilian, and seeing one of our own back on the top of the world of Formula 1 once more!

Yesterday's Grand Prix at Magny-Cours was not only important because of Massa's leadership; as history is written once more by the great performance of the young and talented Nelsinho Piquet after finishing on 7th, ahead of his teammate (the two time F-1 Champion Fernando Alonso), and scoring the first two points of his career in Formula 1. Renault F1's Flavio Briatore has finally, officially recognized Piquet's talent with yesterday's superb performance on the track. Luckily his days at Renault F1 are not counted anymore, as the driver seemed to be reaching the end of his career, and losing his almost non existing credibility due his poor performances prior to yesterday's race.

What else would make this race/season even more special? Both Ferraris finishing the race with a 1st and 2nd place in the podium? Ferrari dominance by leading the Drivers' and Constructors' Championship? Hell yeah! Go Massa! Go Ferrari!

ACELERA TUDO MASSA!!!!!!!!

Last edited by thiago; 06-23-2008 at 04:03 AM.