Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 10-08-2004, 01:46 PM   #16
ingko
Regular User

buy an nforce2 board and an amd xp mobile cpu and jack it up to 2.5 ghz with zalman copper HS and fan. my friend did that and beat me in 3 of 4 Sandra cpu scores but I was still top dog in the SuperPi 1M test with my A64 3000+
ingko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 09:38 PM   #17
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

On DVD RW...what´s the difference between +, - or +/-

Oh and on the video card...it doesn´t matter which "brand it is", but the chip it has? they will all perform the same no matter what brand they are because of the chip?

"You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars" -Enzo Ferrari to Ferruccio Lamborghini...
Chaos in 1983! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 09:54 PM   #18
jamberl
Regular User

Ummm I know people have been saying that 512MB ram is fine, but I would go for 1024. Right now, for the latest games you really need that extra bit of ram, and if you dont get it now, then you will need to upgrade in the near future.

I have a radeon 9800 Pro, and I find thats its ok for games like doom 3, maybe a little slow when there is a room full of bad guys, but otherwise ok. From the sounds of it, it would be enough for what you want. The best way to evaluate performance of graphics cards is to look at various internet sites, which benchmark the latest cards against each other, e.g.

http://www.active-hardware.com/engli...ideo/video.htm

http://techreport.com/

Happy hunting
Old 10-08-2004, 09:58 PM   #19
PATo355
Regular User

I would get the a7n8x-x , i got that and the OC to @3200+ its a breeze , but if you have the money get the deluxe version

For a DVDRW get a + and - . double layer (DVDR9)

For the video card ... value for money .... go to newegg.com and get the Gigabyte radeon 9550TD , it has 4ns memory , so you can overclock it and leave it just like a more expensive 9600pro

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
PATo355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 10:23 PM   #20
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

Hey pato...you run a athlon2500 @ 3200 right? stable and cool with the stock fan or a better one?

how about this card 256MB for 125 bucks??
MSI nVIDIA GeForce FX5700LE Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "FX5700LE-TD256" -RETAIL
or should I stick to ATI, what works best? ATI is a lot more expensive than nVIDIA...is it worth the price difference, what brands are good, does it matter?

DVD-RW+/- means double layer??

A friend of mine told me that the integrated 2xLAN ports produce some problems with Windows and that it is not recommended? is this true?...oh and he also told me that I should get a 4xDIMM Dual Channel DDR capable board insead of the 3xDIMM, because I would loose the dual channel on the third slot?...or is he just talking shit?

Thanks so much...

"You stick to building tractors and I will stick to building sports cars" -Enzo Ferrari to Ferruccio Lamborghini...
Old 10-08-2004, 10:42 PM   #21
stracing
Regular User

my fren said go with nVidia geforce if you want good gaming graphics otherwise just go with ATI. but mind you ati isnt bad either

DVD-RW+/- means double layer?? No...that just confuses ppl

DVD+DL means double layer

Most drives support +R and -R. pick one from sony, pioneer, lg, nec, liteon. ive heard good things about the pioneer one. plus it has 16x burning speed for single layer. but be wary about these advertised speeds!
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 02:38 AM   #22
PATo355
Regular User

Originally Posted by Chaos in 1983!
Hey pato...you run a athlon2500 @ 3200 right? stable and cool with the stock fan or a better one?

MSI nVIDIA GeForce FX5700LE Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "FX5700LE-TD256" -RETAIL
or should I stick to ATI, what works best? ATI is a lot more expensive than nVIDIA...is it worth the price difference, what brands are good, does it matter?

A friend of mine told me that the integrated 2xLAN ports produce some problems with Windows and that it is not recommended? is this true?...oh and he also told me that I should get a 4xDIMM Dual Channel DDR capable board insead of the 3xDIMM, because I would loose the dual channel on the third slot?...or is he just talking shit?

Thanks so much...

Yes i run 2500+ @ 3200+ stable , very very stable at the stock Vcore , not using the stock fan , i use a Coolermaster Xdream 2

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-146&depa=0

As for the Nvidia , i wouldnt suggest that one , im not a hardcore gamer , but i would stick with ATi , for 125 bucks you can get :

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...131-257&depa=1

A very good 9600 pro , im sure it has 3.3ns memory , so you can get 700mhz in the memory with a simple overclock and Omega Drivers

Or :
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-303&depa=1

With Omega Drivers softmod you can unleash the rest 4 pipelines and get the performance of a 9800 pro , that is like saving 100 dollars

If you are short of money get the 9550 , you can flash the bios to make it work JUST like the 9600pro.

As for brands all are good i guess , gigabyte , powercolor and sapphire are my favs tho .

As for the DVD recorder , no , that does not mean its double layer , but you can get a good one for not much money , now you can get a good deal on a 2510 by NEC , a very good drive , or if you have some money get a 3500 by NEC .

As for the dual channel , in the A7N8X , there are just 3 slots , get 2 memories , 2x256 or 2x512 to get the dual channel .

As for the processor if you want to play a little with the pc i would suggest a 35w Athlon XP 2400+ Mobile , you can squeeze 2700mhz easy , or equivalent to 4200+ :shock:

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:40 AM   #23
jamberl
Regular User

Thanks so much...
Hey, remember when buying a video card that memory is not everything- its not necessarily a good bargain because its 256Mb for 125 bucks. What is very important also is the speed of video cards processor. For my card it is around 380mhz. I'd say you should be looking for something similair.

DVD-RW+/- does not mean double layer. Double layer burners will say very clearly that they are double layer, and I imagine they would cost much more $$$$$. As far as I know, the vast majority of burners in pc's nowadays are single layer. The +/- just refers to the different formats of DVD's (DVD+R, DVD-R)

Your friend talking about RAM is correct. For dual channel to work, there is a specific configuration you have to follow. You need matched PAIRS of ram. Obviously you cannot have this is you only have 3xDIMM.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:18 AM   #24
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

So I'm gonna go with the AMD Athlon XP 2500+, I can get it for $58 bucks OEM, no fan/heatsink included, just the processor from www.smksuperstore.com, I found the price in this cpu price guide by www.sharkeyextreme.com, check it out and tell me what you think...

oh hold on I can get the Athlon XP 2600+ for $56...can I overclock the 2600 just as easy as the 2500 ???

...I figure if I'm gonna overclock then the stock fan/heatsink won't be really necessary...I'm just gonna buy a better one to be able to handle the heat...

Besides the fan/heatsink, what other things do I need to install the processor, CPU Shim?, Thermal Compound?

And for RAM...what about Corsair? is that good...how about a pair of these http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...145-025&depa=1

or should a couple of these should be good enough I mean in terms of compatibility with the Motherboard? http://www.smksuperstore.com/catalog...em.asp?ID=7648

Old 10-09-2004, 05:09 PM   #25
PATo355
Regular User

Thermal compound would be good , get the Artic Siler cooling paste , althought the paste that comes with the CoolerMaster XdreamII is not bad at all , i use that one.

For the processor , well , the 2500 gets easily to 3200+ ( upping the buss from 166 ( 333 in DDR ) to 200 ( 400 in DDR ) , the 2600 gets to 3400+ , although i never tried in a 2600+ , but im sure you can do it , get that one , be sure its a 333MHZ bus .

Yes those Corsair are very good , but a pair of Buffalo´s would do the trick better if you want to go beyond the 200mhz limit .

Premium brand does not say a lot for me ... for 5 dollars i would go with the Corsairs

Old 10-09-2004, 05:57 PM   #26
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

Thanks pato...so I'm going for the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, Athlon 2600+, and 2x256Mb Corsair for sure now, that's three things less to worry about For the CPU Fan I guess any fan up to ~3400+? your fan is not available at newegg at the moment...I know Thermaltake is a great brand, but they're quite expensive, and I'm on a budget.

btw...just got hit by a tremor 5 min ago...7.1 richter scale...massive...very freaky

Old 10-09-2004, 06:07 PM   #27
PATo355
Regular User

Thanks pato...so I'm going for the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, Athlon 2600+, and 2x256Mb Corsair for sure now, that's three things less to worry about For the CPU Fan I guess any fan up to ~3400+? your fan is not available at newegg at the moment...I know Thermaltake is a great brand, but they're quite expensive, and I'm on a budget.

btw...just got hit by a tremor 5 min ago...7.1 richter scale...massive...very freaky
This is very good
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...106-601&depa=0

Old 10-09-2004, 06:13 PM   #28
Chaos in 1983!
Regular User

thanks again pato...I'll get that one... one less thing...it's finally coming together now...haha

Old 10-09-2004, 06:56 PM   #29
PATo355
Regular User

Take note that the TTr cooler i read a lot of compliments to it , plus its made by ThermalTake , although i havent use it , ive read its very good for the Athlon , if ne1 has opinions , please post it

Old 10-10-2004, 08:53 AM   #30
stracing
Regular User

so when will you know whose the wiiner?

g'luck to you as well
stracing is offline   Reply With Quote