Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 11-11-2006, 04:28 PM   #16
gucom
Regular User

but afaik their primary role is counterterrorism and CQB related stuff... whereas the Green Berets are more of a long(er)-term recon unit operating behind enemy lines (kinda like marine force recon but without the water focus) right?

i believe the SAS is a pretty versatile unit, i dont know exactly how delta/green berets/SEALs are organised? (as in team specializations etc?)
Old 11-11-2006, 04:53 PM   #17
RAMMIUS
Regular User

Originally Posted by gucom
but afaik their primary role is counterterrorism and CQB related stuff... whereas the Green Berets are more of a long(er)-term recon unit operating behind enemy lines (kinda like marine force recon but without the water focus) right?

i believe the SAS is a pretty versatile unit, i dont know exactly how delta/green berets/SEALs are organised? (as in team specializations etc?)
I would say that the bread and butter of the Green Berets are FID (Foreign Internal defense and UW - Unconventional Warfare) besides SR.
So their main role is force multipliers by organising and training the local guerilla.

Of course they have the capability to do DA - Direct action and SR.

What do you mean by specialization ?
Area of operations ?
Old 11-11-2006, 06:21 PM   #18
gucom
Regular User

well i know in the main SF unit of the Netherlands there are special teams for operations around water, mountain teams, HAHO/HALO teams, CQB teams etc... in SAS there are various different specialty teams too, like parachuting teams, vehicle teams etc etc, is there such a thing with the navy SEALs, which is already a pretty specialized unit?
Old 11-11-2006, 06:57 PM   #19
RAMMIUS
Regular User

The SEALs are divided by the AO - area of operations.
Just like all other versatile units in the world they master all type`s of insertion methods and they cross-train alot.

For example SEAL team 3 and team 8, had the main area of operations in the Middle East and Africa so normally they are more proficient at desert warfare, at DPV operations, but that doesn`t mean that they lack in HALO/HAHO insertion, or waterborne or CQB skills.

Team 2 was responsable for Europe, so mountaneering and skiing was something common for them.

But since SEAL Team 7 was created I don`t know exactly every teams AO`s.

The only difference between them and DevGru from DamNeck Virginia ex SEAL Team 6 of Richard Marcinko, is that training for HR is a rather different thing.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:14 PM   #20
TopGearNL
Regular User

Damn RAMMIUS you know a lot about that :shock:
Old 11-11-2006, 08:17 PM   #21
RAMMIUS
Regular User

^^ There are a lot of good books on the subject, but unfortunately I don`t have all of them
Old 11-11-2006, 08:22 PM   #22
TopGearNL
Regular User

Originally Posted by RAMMIUS
^^ There are a lot of good books on the subject, but unfortunately I don`t have all of them
Could you give me some examples. I read a lot of Tom Clancy, Mark Bowden and Alistair Maclean Novels but don't know as much as you about it! :shock:

Maybe you can send me a PM since we might be going a bit offtopic LOL
Old 11-12-2006, 12:03 AM   #23
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by TopGearNL
Could you give me some examples. I read a lot of Tom Clancy, Mark Bowden and Alistair Maclean Novels but don't know as much as you about it! :shock:

Maybe you can send me a PM since we might be going a bit offtopic LOL
Yeah definitely a lot of good books. I read Delta Force by Charlie Beckwith. That was pretty damn good, but of course focused on only the Delta Force. Shadow Warriors by Tom Clancy and General Carl Stiner (SOF) was pretty good too and that focused on Special Operations Forces during WWII and Vietnam, and then further into Panama, and Desert Storm. Also brief accounts of taken downs on Cruise ships (Achille Lauro) and airplanes. Carl Stiner was the CINC of SOCOM.

I think I am going to try out Inside Delta Force by Eric Haney next.

Team 2 was responsable for Europe, so mountaneering and skiing was something common for them.

But since SEAL Team 7 was created I don`t know exactly every teams AO`s.

The only difference between them and DevGru from DamNeck Virginia ex SEAL Team 6 of Richard Marcinko, is that training for HR is a rather different thing.
Wasn't Richard Marcinko the guy that was a maverick? Didn't follow orders and such? And that's why Team SIX got disbanded?

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The unit's primary tasks center around counter-terrorism, although it is an extremely versatile group and is fully capable of taking on any number of mission profiles. Delta Force is believed to conduct missions similar to those regularly attributed to the British Special Air Service (SAS), after which it was modeled.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Force
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:21 AM   #24
Mattk
Regular User

Wrong !
No, I'm not. The SAS and the SEALs are the special forces organisations within their respective service branches, hence I'm technically still correct, altogether, yes, I concede the comparison is flawed.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:53 AM   #25
RAMMIUS
Regular User

Could you give me some examples.
Excellent books on the SAS that I read :

The complete encyclopedia of the SAS by Barry Davies (ex SAS man, assisted GSG-9 at Mogadishu)

The Soldiers Sory by Jack Ramsay , has first hand accounts about missions

The SAS encyclopedia by Steve Crawford and also by him The SAS ultimate warriors, this one has a lot of graphics

Aussie SASR:

Phantoms of war by David Horner which is I think the official historian of the Regiment, the book is very thick, with lo`ts of missions described in detail.

Navy SEAL`s :

I read Halberstadt`s books and they are quite documented.

My advice is not to go after general books that treat all the units in a particular country because you can`t find indepth information, go after specialized ones.

Wasn't Richard Marcinko the guy that was a maverick? Didn't follow orders and such? And that's why Team SIX got disbanded?
ADVICE: go and buy Marcinko`s book as fast as you can : Rogue Warrior.
Team SIX was not disbanded, it became DevGru , Development Group -cover name.

Marcinko with his style made a lot of enemies over the years, and the best unit that he derived from Team SIX, RedCell (cover name for NSCT - Naval Security Coordinatio Team) was the one that created a lot of problems.

On a few words: they had to test the security of naval bases, installations aso, they did and made the civillian and military security personnel look like morons and in the same time the base commanders looked like idiots, which was true of course.

In his book you`ll find amazing things.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:33 AM   #26
pagani
Regular User

The muggers got owned by grand pa!!!
8)
pagani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:02 AM   #27
TopGearNL
Regular User

Excellent books on the SAS that I read :

The complete encyclopedia of the SAS by Barry Davies (ex SAS man, assisted GSG-9 at Mogadishu)

The Soldiers Sory by Jack Ramsay , has first hand accounts about missions

The SAS encyclopedia by Steve Crawford and also by him The SAS ultimate warriors, this one has a lot of graphics

Aussie SASR:

Phantoms of war by David Horner which is I think the official historian of the Regiment, the book is very thick, with lo`ts of missions described in detail.

Navy SEAL`s :

I read Halberstadt`s books and they are quite documented.

My advice is not to go after general books that treat all the units in a particular country because you can`t find indepth information, go after specialized ones.
Ok thanks for the tip Rammius!

I think I am going to try out Inside Delta Force by Eric Haney next.
I have a look into that, maybe Ill try it too! 8)
Old 11-12-2006, 11:16 AM   #28
BADMIHAI
Regular User

Pfff...Seals....I remember the Moscow theatre crisis when the Spetznaz owned the shit out of those Chechen fucks. I read a news story and one reporter was stating something along the lines of two roadworkers trying to pry loose a sewer cover with crowbars and one Alpha Team meber came, picked it up with one hand and tossed it a few metres like it was a frisbee. All the soldier said was "You gotta work out in order to [be able to] do that."
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:53 AM   #29
gucom
Regular User

lol i take it you're joking?
im sure the US military could take out any hostage-takers by dropping a daisycutter on the building 8)
Old 11-12-2006, 11:55 AM   #30
BADMIHAI
Regular User

I'm sure the Syrian military could do pretty much the same thing. What's your point?
BADMIHAI is offline   Reply With Quote