Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 11-09-2007, 04:42 AM   #16
79TA
Regular User

^^^ why?

I mean, the car doesn't even have official specs out yet, nor is that the exact version that will go into production.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:47 AM   #17
MidEngine4Life
Regular User

Because ive driven a dozen mustangs and never once been impressed. Id bet a $100 even without knowing the official specs that a base model of this car would be faster around a track than a base model Mustang.

And once more id never buy a mustang because they are a dime a dozen around here
Old 11-09-2007, 05:00 AM   #18
79TA
Regular User

If '05-'08 Mustangs were a dime a dozen I'd own one . . . or several.

I'd still take the 'stang and just swap out the gushy coil springs for some proper Eibachs. Ford has a huge aftermarket. No matter how good the Hyundia may or may not be, the prices and products will not be as good.

I've never driven a new Mustang myself so I can't judge how they handle. I've never been a fan of a car because it handles ever so slightly better than its rival. If the difference in handling isn't absolutely huge, driver skill is a much larger factor in a race. Like it or not, most contests happen in a straight line anyway.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:04 AM   #19
MidEngine4Life
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA
If '05-'08 Mustangs were a dime a dozen I'd own one . . . or several.
Do you live in the San Francisco Bay Area like I do? People here have money, and insist on wasting it on hundreds and hundreds of mustangs. I can rarely drive a block without seeing a mustang. My old boss drove a 99 then bought a California Concepts which I photographed for him. And another of my good friends has owned at least 4 stangs, his last one I took out for a photo shoot as well. He bought a BMW and said he'll never go back.

Like it or not, most contests happen in a straight line anyway.
lol yea like drag racing and um drag racing...and then theres drag racing. I bought a 2007 Scion tC not because it was fast, but because it was a great deal in a good looking (to my eye) package. Most people wouldnt think a scion fast right? Well it has the same 0-60 time as your standard new mustang.
http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html
Old 11-09-2007, 05:14 AM   #20
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by MidEngine4Life
Like it or not, most contests happen in a straight line anyway.
lol yea like drag racing and um drag racing...and then theres drag racing
Yes, one type har har. It's the most accessible racing there is. Whether it be spontaneous at a stoplight, rolling on the highway, or legal at a strip, it is the most common form (in the States). There are also events like the Silver State Classic that you should consider too.

Yes, believe it or not, more cars and more people have lined up and accelerated in a straight line contest than have registered with NASA/SCCA to go to autocrosses, road races, and HPDE. Of course, there are some independent events, but they are few and far between. Most people find drag strips and long open roads easier to access than road courses and huge flat squares for autocrossing.

Do you actually autox/roadrace or something?

Oh, and the Mustang on the left appears to be a V6 Mustang (aka secretary car) while the other is last generation (and yes, I can see that it's not a real Saleen) . . . quite unspectacular.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:24 AM   #21
MidEngine4Life
Regular User

I go to track days at Laguna Seca and Thunderhill yes. Ive seen Cobras getting owned by miatas. I agree with you though much of it depends on the driver but seriously..... Ive driven GT's, V6's, Convertables (The absolute worst) ridden in a Roush Stage 3 and a real Saleen, the list goes on and on and on. I just dont feel the magic. Sorry

I admit im not your average American. People say I shoulda been born in Europe. Driving fast in a straight line simply gets boring to me. And thus in closing, why Id take the Hyundai. The end lol
Old 11-09-2007, 05:36 AM   #22
79TA
Regular User

Awesome, I wish I had a road course within 3-4 hours of my house.

I bought a 2007 Scion tC not because it was fast, but because it was a great deal in a good looking (to my eye) package. Most people wouldnt think a scion fast right? Well it has the same 0-60 time as your standard new mustang.
You mean V6 Mustang . . . have fun racing secretaries!

V6 Mustang owners are only in it for the looks . . . similar to ricers but most V6 Mustang owners are just looking for a nice looking car, not a street racer image.

I don't know that I'd advertise buying a TC new for full price. 0-60 somewhere in the 7 second range? Sounds about as fast as the 1988 Oldsmobile that I picked up for a grand (now that's what I call a dime a dozen) to commute with. I'll have to go find a race with a TC now . . .
Old 11-09-2007, 05:48 AM   #23
MidEngine4Life
Regular User

1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Int (auto) 11.4
1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais Quad 442 7.7
1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais Int. HO Quad 4 7.5
1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Conv. 8.5

2006 Scion TC Sport Coupe 6.9 (R&T Jan '06)

lol sorry i said i was finished, but like I said i didnt buy it for speed. I could have bought a V12 BMW 8 series for less as well or one of many other cars that are faster and cost less

Anyway I cant wait to see the official photos of this "Genesis"
Old 11-09-2007, 11:29 AM   #24
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

Looks like a Toyota.. but nice to see they are finally making their RWD coupe. They have hinted at a RWD Tiburon few years back.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:53 PM   #25
HeilSvenska
Regular User

Instead of the seemingly production-ready car I found online, Hyundai decided to show this nasty tarted-up version of the Coupe at the LA Show.

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/2009hyundaigenesisLA/

HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:42 AM   #26
79TA
Regular User

Originally Posted by MidEngine4Life View Post
1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Int (auto) 11.4
1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais Quad 442 7.7
1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais Int. HO Quad 4 7.5
1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Conv. 8.5

2006 Scion TC Sport Coupe 6.9 (R&T Jan '06)

lol sorry i said i was finished, but like I said i didnt buy it for speed. I could have bought a V12 BMW 8 series for less as well or one of many other cars that are faster and cost less

Anyway I cant wait to see the official photos of this "Genesis"
Source? I can tell you right now my Olds does 0-60 in well under 10 seconds. It's a Cutlass Ciera with a 3.8 litre (same block and geometry used in the GNX).

I certainly hope you wouldn't buy a Scion for any kind of speed . . . so why even mention it? hehe.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:17 AM   #27
79TA
Regular User

I think this is the list you were referring to:

http://www.hostultra.com/~ford/performance1.htm (apparently it's been posted on several sites and just kind of assumed accurate although I can see a few minor errors)

The car most similar to mine on that list would be the '94 Cutlass:

1994 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight LSS 8.0 seconds for 0-60 and 16.5 in the quarter

Despite only having a 3.3 litre, it is rated similarily to my 3.8 (the 3.3 has 10 more hp and 15 fewer pound-feet of torque). Maybe I can play ricer and say my K&N totally adds 5 horsepower! jk. At any rate, that car is the same weight and platform and has the same gearing. I just know it's enough to take down the unfortunately typical ricer Civic owner.

I'm still trying to figure out why they wrote "auto" . . . there are no 1988 Cutlasses with manual transmissions.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:30 PM   #28
HeilSvenska
Regular User

I thought the Coupe looked iffy. The sedan's even worse.

It's like a G35 with a Lexus LS front and ? rear that oddly reminds me of the 7 series. Bah. Another Frankenstein car.
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:08 AM   #29
MidEngine4Life
Regular User

Originally Posted by 79TA View Post
. . . so why even mention it? hehe.
Simply because people dont give it enough credit and its faster than cars people give too much credit too lol
Old 11-27-2007, 11:54 AM   #30
79TA
Regular User

Last I checked, in the world of impressionable college kids, the TC was the car getting way too much credit. The only people who give V6 Mustangs too much credit, usually, are the dolts that bother to race against them.

"Yea, I totally beat a Mustang in my ('01) Celica once"
- actual quote from a guy I know . . . it was a V6 and I thought, you sad, sad man.