Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat > Car Gallery

Old 02-06-2005, 01:45 AM   #16
gottacatchup
Regular User

Originally Posted by mindgam3
Originally Posted by Blip
it looks promising. Why not bring back the esprit though...

btw anyone know why Lotus is doing engine/suspension work for the Malaysian PROTON ?
because proton owns lotus? :roll:
Bingo

the elise is doing awsome here in the US. Think about it with 300 million people there have to be enough of us car guys with enough money to buy em and appriciate em. I've seen a couple around town, followed one home from school one day, it was beautiful.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:42 PM   #17
Lotus222
Regular User

First time poster here. Nice to see that you guys actually like Lotus and what they are doing. Most people don't understand the company or their cars. Anyways, I have a new Elise... or had rather. Hopefully I will get it back soon enough. I took my car to the nearest dealer for the first service on the car, and the dealer scratched my car all to hell. They wanted me to put it on my insurance, so I am being forced to sue . The kicker is, I can't take my car home until its settled.

Back to the GT topic though - With the Elise being so small and spartain, I think the Lotus GT will be a better car for the average american (who can afford it). I also heard from somewhere that lotus is working on the suspension and other features in the nissan GT-R. I don't know how true that is though.

-Whit
Lotus222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 02:06 PM   #18
Vansquish
Regular User

Originally Posted by Lotus222
First time poster here. Nice to see that you guys actually like Lotus and what they are doing. Most people don't understand the company or their cars. Anyways, I have a new Elise... or had rather. Hopefully I will get it back soon enough. I took my car to the nearest dealer for the first service on the car, and the dealer scratched my car all to hell. They wanted me to put it on my insurance, so I am being forced to sue . The kicker is, I can't take my car home until its settled.

Back to the GT topic though - With the Elise being so small and spartain, I think the Lotus GT will be a better car for the average american (who can afford it). I also heard from somewhere that lotus is working on the suspension and other features in the nissan GT-R. I don't know how true that is though.

-Whit
Hey Whit, welcome to JW, hope you enjoy it here

As for your car, that's terrible that the dealer made such a mess out of it and that you're being forced into legal action against them. It's a wonderful little car and why the hell someone would want to damage it is beyond me. Personally, I'm a fan of the sort of spartan Elise. I'm sure the GT will be a lovely drive as well, but to my eyes and sensibilities the best closed Lotus for a long time are the Series 1 and 2 Exiges and of course the Sport Exige, but I doubt we'll see those anytime soon.

It just occurred to me, since the makers of the 2.0L RST-V8 that's been fitted to a Caterham 7 are planning to drop one into an Elise, (that's 340-plus bhp in an Elise!!!) why hasn't anyone fitted a rotary yet? I'm getting an RX8, why not drop that nice little 1.3L into it? Lighter, sounds wild, and I'm sure it'd be PDQ!!!

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 02:46 PM   #19
Wutputt
Regular User

Originally Posted by mindgam3
Originally Posted by Blip
it looks promising. Why not bring back the esprit though...

btw anyone know why Lotus is doing engine/suspension work for the Malaysian PROTON ?
because proton owns lotus? :roll:
Besides that, Lotus is - just like Porsche - also an engineering company who does work for other (automotive) companies. For instance Lotus helped Opel/Vauxhall setting the suspension for the current Astra and the previous one. Also the Renault Clio V6 mkI engine got some help from Lotus (the mkII on the other hand went to Porsche for intake tuning).
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 09:23 PM   #20
ikon2003
Regular User

^Lotus is also helping out Nissan/Infiniti on their new supercar, offering their expertise in the handling/ride/performance etc department.
ikon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:28 AM   #21
04RCSTI
Regular User

I cant wait for the new lotus lineup, if its anything like what they have now with the Elise and the Exige, its going to be the stuff of legends.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:28 AM   #22
ferrarif1fan89
Regular User

its looking real good, just hope its light!