Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 09-08-2004, 04:08 PM   #1
sameerrao
Regular User

Hakkinen would be needing a geriatric stroller ... he would be 39 by then ... He better do it now or just give up

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 10:36 PM   #2
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Default new tracks?

According to the 2001-2002 F1 Record Book, Beruit is trying to host a race in it's streets. They were apparently bidding for the 2004 season but obviously that failed. Does anyone know if they are still vying for a race?

And what happened to the talks of a moscow or new york venue?

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:13 AM   #3
mindgam3
Regular User

i was browsing autosport magazine in a shop today and its got a 4 page article on rumours that ford are jacking in WRC and the Jaguar F1 team and bringing back their own completely ford F1 team. Anyone heard this also? I cant find any news anywhere else on it
mindgam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:32 AM   #4
Wutputt
Regular User

Yep, I heard it also a week ago or so. I will look it up to find more details about it.

edit: found it. It was a rumour during the GP of Belgium

Reasons given:

There is a strong body of opinion at Ford that the company should benefit from the F1 programme, not only Jaguar, if it is spending all the money. Using the Ford brand will open up many more possibilities for marketing but it's commonly know that Ford wants to reduce its costs a little more and is looking for a partner to take over 30% of the team and help with the funding. The management of the team should not be affected by any of the changes.

My opinion: besides those reasons, another reason could be Ford wants to have more control over their money spend in F1. Rebranding their F1 division is, in my opinion, just one step to get more control over their money flow going towards F1

But it's a shame they would give up their rally team, because they are getting good results in the WRC.
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 12:11 PM   #5
ZfrkS62
Regular User

But it's a shame they would give up their rally team, because they are getting good results in the WRC.
ford already has a very strong customer base with the focus, i think they want to shift focus (no pun intended) to their high performance capabilities. Espicially since the Jordans have been so poorly. thats just a guess though

Old 09-13-2004, 03:01 PM   #6
hwe
Regular User

Villeneuve to join Renault tomorrow ??

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns13492.html
hwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 03:11 PM   #7
5vz-fe
Regular User

It has been denied .......

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=31093
Old 09-13-2004, 03:35 PM   #8
hwe
Regular User

haha, that didn't take long.

Thanks for the info.
hwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 12:19 PM   #9
Toronto
Regular User

Flavio might by cothsworth with a french firm to keep them around for next year.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:34 PM   #10
Toronto
Regular User

BAR have been heard of trying to get into talking with Barrichello for next year.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:48 PM   #11
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by Toronto
BAR have been heard of trying to get into talking with Barrichello for next year.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Barrichello has already said he won't leave Ferrari. He loves the team and despite being the no.2 driver, he is more favored by everyone at the factory, since he has learned italian so quickly and speaks like what, 6 other languages?

and when Michael retires, guess where that propels Rubens...no. 1 driver for the no. 1 team, biaatch so why leave for BAR?

the other question is, can BAR afford Rubens?

Old 10-12-2004, 07:57 PM   #12
sameerrao
Regular User

There might be drastic changes if the Button transfer doesnt go thru - maybe Fisi moves to Williams then ...

Anyway I hope Anthony Davidson gets a seat in a decent ride - preferably BAR - the guy is a pint sized gem...

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 08:12 PM   #13
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Fisi is going to do anything he can to get a Ferrari seat. The more able car he gets, the better it will allow him to prove to S/F that he can win for them.

But i think RB is staying put.

i'm curious to see what will happen to the back of the grid drivers that got better seats this year. hopefully there will be more overtaking :roll:

Old 10-25-2004, 09:35 PM   #14
5vz-fe
Regular User

Interestingly, Mexico seems to claim themself to be included in the 2006 F1 GP. According to BBC:

Mexican officials insist they have agreed a five-year deal to stage a Formula One race in Cancun from 2006.
A new 5km track, designed by veteran race course architect Hermann Tilke and costing £44m, will be built just south of Cancun's international airport.

"This track offers some very, very high speeds with sharp curves that make cars brake at speed," said Tilke's representative Dirk Schneider.
Mexico last hosted an F1 race at the Hermanos Rodriguez Autodrome in 1992.

The news that Mexico has been handed the chance to stage an F1 race will no doubt increase speculation about the future of the British Grand Prix. The race has been listed provisionally on the 2005 calendar, but F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone said it would be axed after a breakdown in negotiations with the circuit's owners.

Luis Silveira, whose company Grupo Promotor Inversiones Caribenos is involved in the Cancun deal, said the site was not being viewed as an alternative to the British GP.

"That is not the intention," he said. "The issue was not even raised of taking the place of existing dates.
"What was discussed and what came out was a new date, a new commitment, not a substitution."
Old 10-26-2004, 02:45 PM   #15
Toronto
Regular User

YES Mexico want a race in Cancun,
turkey wants a race
south africa wants a race
UAE wants a race
UK wants a race
Russia wants a race

More races less good drivers, worse cars = BAD f1 seasons coming up.