Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 11-04-2005, 03:08 AM   #31
ae86_16v
Regular User

Holy shit, they really do come in Crates!
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 09:33 PM   #32
T-Bird
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
normally i wouldn't consider an engine reliable if it can't run for at least 250 before needing some major work done.
A high performance engine like that out of a vette used for track use that has 100-200k miles is a bit different then the honda you drove to work for 10 years. I saw speeds of 140 on this stock engine, and Im sure the previous owner didnt baby it(who does that to a performance car).

I always wonder when I hear about honda and toyotas car reliability. How much are they aided by making cars that arent performance related. If you dont run the piss out of it, reliability certainly will be better, even with lack of routine maintenance. The nsx and supra not withstanding(which Ive never seen 250k mile examples of) neither company has made a performance car long enough to reach 250k miles.
well considering I've already seen about 15 NSX's mostly stock one far from it and the most any of them had on the car was $80K and every 10K is an $850 service and a recommended yearly safety inspection. And EVERY Honda/Acura requires a not so cheap 100k mile service where the Timming belt/belts are changed along with the water pump. In comparison my Thunderbird's original engine had 180K on it with the original Timming chain and water pump without any signs of wear and it had all the original gaskets and they looked OK when I tore the engine down, And I see atleast 1 Acura a day that needs new gaskets before they hit 100k. So in all fairness Japanese cars aren't as reliable as one would think and to keep them running 300K+ you need to really take care of the car and NEVER miss a service. Now most American V8's especially the LS motors can go for many many miles before needing some serious work on them I've seen insane rust bucket Camaros that had the original engine running perfect.
T-Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 04:21 AM   #33
ae86_16v
Regular User

^ Come on T Bird that is a bit unfair. I mean you are comparing your TBird to IMHO a supercar. If it it is not a supercar, it is still a upper end sports car.

I mean then, why don't I throw in my civic with the D15 engine that has 225k without any major work. Timing Belt, water pump, and that's it . . . oh yeah and oil changes at 3k.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:48 PM   #34
graywolf624
Regular User

If it it is not a supercar, it is still a upper end sports car.

I mean then, why don't I throw in my civic with the D15 engine that has 225k without any major work. Timing Belt, water pump, and that's it . . . oh yeah and oil changes at 3k.
Which one has more hsp? We are taking about engines afterall, not the total package.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:44 PM   #35
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
If it it is not a supercar, it is still a upper end sports car.

Which one has more hsp? We are taking about engines afterall, not the total package.
But I am not comparing my Civic to the NSX or Corvette. Thus I am talking about the comment that TBird's T-Bird went 180k w/o changes and he is comparing it to a NSX.

So why not compare it to my civic then. Compare cars in the same class. NSX to Corvette. Apples to apples.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:32 PM   #36
graywolf624
Regular User

A tbird, while certainly not a sports car, is about as far from a civic as it is from the nsx.