Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 04-06-2004, 03:47 PM   #31
redbaron
Regular User

WRC!! I am a huge F1 fan, but I like WRC even more. It's just nice to see the WRC-guys driving really fast at roads where normal people don't dare to drive faster than a bicycle. It's much better than seeing Ross Brawn eating a banana
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 04:12 PM   #32
SpeedBoy
Regular User

F1 for me. The only racing that could ecqual F1 would be Lemans or GT racing. But i dont like WRC, its not my cup of tea.
SpeedBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 06:04 PM   #33
chest3r
Regular User

F1 actually sucks hard.

WRC is much more spectacular
Old 04-14-2004, 06:29 PM   #34
bmagni
Regular User

f1 totally !!!
i do like the wrc also
but i prefer wrc
i used to like the gt championships
but now im an f1 100 %
today ive got mailed some stuff form ferrari, all about f1 !
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 06:30 PM   #35
bmagni
Regular User

i mean i prefer f1 !!!!
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:07 PM   #36
Vansquish
Regular User

Yes....
WRC is more interesting more of the time, but when there's a good battle in an F1 race it's definetely something to see. The problem with both is that the money involved controls too much of the sport. F1 is basically under Ecclestone's thumb, so it tends to be a bit less exciting and more of a money-grubbing excercise...unfortunately the governing body for WRC has lately been making strides in the same direction and that's part of why we've lost some of the best drivers this season. I hope things turn around.

my Hindibonics-speaking Indian roommate--"Dawgs, do you have any idea how much bacteria that would take?"
Vansquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 10:10 PM   #37
SPAD
Regular User

I like F1 way more than wrc,but dont get me wrong i like wrc to but i dont feel 1/4
as much pasion that i do with f1.I think its because i like ferrari so much.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:22 PM   #38
sameerrao
Regular User

Personally, I vote for F1. It captured my interest in the early nineties and has not let go since. I love WRC but am passionate about F1 - that's the difference.

To put it crudely, F1 is like a comfortable yet faded t-shirt that you still wear when no-one is around - it is something that you are reluctant to throw out ever - I really don't pay too much attention if F1 is boring right now or exciting right now - I will weather through the ups and downs of it. Of course an exciting season like 2003 is a lovely bonus ....

F1 passes the acid test for me - Will you get up at 3am to watch live qualifying or 4 am for the race. Only F1 deserves this treatment to me. I will tape WRC and watch later in the morning but I will watch F1 live - whatever be the time....

I watch a lot of motorsports - F1, WRC, Speed GT/touring car, Moto GP, Superbike, etc - therefore I get to see a good blend of overtaking, driving ability, tarmacs, technical data, etc in a week from all these sources. I am not insistent that I want just one motorsport to deliver everything I could wish for - I get different pleasure from different sources.

Having said all this, WRC enthrals me with the sheer driving skill on display - slides and recoveries and all that. My heart poounds when someone like Gronholm goes out with 110% commitment. I love the gravel and snow events. I also love the virtual spectator visual they show on TV - it overlays two or more drivers across the same stage section - its so easy to see where a driver has gained the advantage. This is something they need to adopt to F1 also - it can show us corner by corner where Schumacher gained on Montoya or vice-versa....

Most of the anti-F1 arguments quoted so far in this forum are:
1. Not much overtaking or racing in F1
2. Predictability of results
3. Lack of tarmac choices
4. Non-charismatic drivers.

- Not much overtaking or racing in F1
Obviously the comparison is with other forms of road racing because WRC runs one competitor at time. This is true but is a function of restrictive circuits (Hungary, Nurburgring, Monaco) and also different budgets of the teams. Now the circuits can't be helped but if Mclaren, Renault and Williams up their game, we wil have a cracker of a season.

- Predictability of results - Similar to above plus what do expect if you mate the best driver in the world to the best car? Other competitors need their cars to be better than Schumi's for them to win (a la' Hakkinen)

- lack of tarmac - also true but so what - different horses for different courses - live and let live

- non-charismatic drivers - TT's quote highlights the point
I always considered WRC drivers 100 times more carismatic and cool than F1 drivers
I do not think that this was always true - F1 drivers used to speak their mind in the past and till the eighties there was a good deal of action happening on and off the racing circuit. Today things have become more subdued. There is a good reason for this - F1 drivers are under incredible scrutiny and pressure from the media, fans, etc... The media loves to get some major mileage from ill-judged quotes from F1 drivers -
therefore drivers have learnt to keep their opinions to themselves (with a few exceptions - Montoya, Villenueve). The horde of crowds that throng the F1 paddocks today to catch a glimpse or get an autograph can scare a brave Hercules also - it is unfair to expect the same schumacher to meet and greet every fan who comes to the race. For each WRC race, the fans have the ability to go to multiple towns to see the drivers over the different stages- the crowds are much more manageable and you can get better visibility and access to drivers. COmpare this to F1 circuits with 70000 fans waiting to mob you..
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 12:02 PM   #39
sau_mathur
Regular User

I have watched more F1 than WRC, thus F1 for me. But thats not the only reason.
F1 is more fast, more technically advanced....its things in f1 taht later get incorporated into road cars (sequential shift for eg.)
Both are dangerous sports, but the risk in f1 is far more than wrc, the glamour associated with f1 is tremendous, and well there is this genius by the name of Michael Schumacher that just oohhh...hes soo good at this sport.!!!!!

WRC is great though..i love watching it...the way those guys drive is insane, and the adrenaline rush is unreal..!! But, my pick has to be f1.
sau_mathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 11:26 AM   #40
abbor
Regular User

Of course I like WRC the most.... Just look at Schumacher driving alone in front, over and over again. F1 is so fucking boring... And I like following Solberg since he's from Norway
abbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 09:58 PM   #41
homemade wrx
Regular User

I love them both but WRC has to be number one...both have such highly technical vehicles but WRC beats out F1 in my opinion...
Old 06-23-2004, 01:26 PM   #42
philios55
Regular User

WRC for me!!
is more competive,imo more difficult and by far more exciting than f1!
for example:check the results in every WRC event,every time we have different winner and different first 3!!its so hard you can never quess who is gonna be first or second etc.In F1 races 90% of wins are for ferrari and Michael Schumacher,boring!
philios55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:00 PM   #43
szumszer
Regular User

WRC, more like real driving, i mean they actually compete on streets (some races at least), besides F1 is so technologically advanced ... there is no point of reference, maybe if you take a mclaren f1 to a track, may be that is in some way comparable, well, not really ... while you can actually buy and drive a subaru STI with 300 bhp, not the same as WRC, but still so much closer than an F1 car to anything else; besides WRC requires drivers to compete under different road conditions meter by meter, while track don't change, schumi could probably drive many of them blindfolded
szumszer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 05:46 PM   #44
TopGearNL
Regular User

Default F1 or WRC

I like both, can't choos actually but if you like both and find F1 as well as WRC appealing to you, download the serious canyon racing vid in the video section and it sort of combines the 2 togehter, they race track cars (F3000) in a canyon and very very fast

Jeremy Clarkson - Saab 9-5 -:''So if you buy a Saab you can break the sound barrier and manoevre up your own tailpipe! REALLY?
TopGearNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 02:40 AM   #45
chipanggo
Regular User

f1 for me. it's got the whole package: the technical advancements, the human drama, the glitz, the glamour, and the girls.

oh and the races are nice too.
chipanggo is offline   Reply With Quote