Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 07-06-2008, 04:06 PM   #31
yellky
Regular User

oh come on, am i the only person here who saw nothing impressing in HAM's driving today?
he just didnt make any mistakes (finally!) - it's a bit easier when you're in front of everybody..
and he was in front 'cause KOV let him go - team ordered? no, of course not, it's illegal....

HEI made my day today
btw, why why didnt KUB use extreme wets on his 2nd stop?

Ferrari? disaster..
Pokiou :: i really wouldnt call MAS spectacular
Old 07-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #32
5vz-fe
Regular User

Man, Ferrari has been making bad decisions on pits since Brawn left.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:08 PM   #33
styla21
Regular User

Originally Posted by yellky View Post
Pokiou :: i really wouldnt call MAS spectacular
HAHA! 5 spins? Agreed... The Ferrari's appeared to be quite twitchy!
Old 07-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #34
Spiffu
Regular User

If I was massa right now, I'd be border line suicidal.

It's an 06 dammit!
Spiffu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:31 PM   #35
SHIZL
Regular User

imagine if it kept raining hard there and ruben pulled it off that would of been crazy great job as it was crazy point standings as of now
SHIZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:28 AM   #36
Mattk
Regular User

I know, styla! Massa finished last after spinning around three or four times (although he did reel off a few really quick laps towards the end) and Kubica didn't even finish. It was good to see Heidfeld and Barrichello back onto the podium, though, especially Barrichello. Raikonnen suffered from a spin and a tyre-choice risk gone awry, but I thought he did well to climb back up to fourth. Likewise, Kovalainen did well to get back past Alonso after a late spin.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:02 AM   #37
blue8
Regular User

Possibly the best race of the season so far, along with Australia and Monaco (I'm not particularly thrilled that Hamilton won all those races though). There was barely any dull moment in the race and there were also a lot of overtaking that happened. The race definitely opened the championship with Lewis, Felipe and Kimi tied at 48, Kubica with 46, while Heidfeld is just down 12 points. While the season wasn't as good as last year, Hamilton is achieving his dreams with wins at Monte Carlo and Silverstone - could the WDC be the next? (I hope not )

Off-topic, the Wimbledon finals was absolutely epic!!!

Great weekend for sports in the UK!!!

I just picked this up from Planet F1. I didn't know Heidfeld overtook two cars twice in the same corner! Brilliant!

Overtaking Move of the Race
Nick Heidfeld, BMW on Trulli and Alonso
Or
Nick Heidfeld. BMW, on Kovalainen and Raikkonen
Oh what a glorious thing that humble ECU is. Its presence in managing engines has eliminated traction control. Traction control's absence has given us F1 drivers in corners fighting for grip. In turn this has led to overtaking moves the like of which we have not seen for years.

In the last few races we've had Barrichello overtaking at an impossible corner in Monaco, Massa overtaking two at a time on the grass in Canada and now Heidfeld at Silverstone putting two glorious double overtaking moves on seriously good drivers (two World Champions included).

His careful manouevering around the outside and then the inside of Trulli and Alonso through Luffield and Woodcote was a joy to see once - for him to repeat it later at the same spot - with Kovalainen and Raikkonen - was almost like witnessing lightning striking twice.

On the weekend that Donington were theoretically given the British GP from 2010, Heidfeld's careful passes were reminiscent of Ayrton Senna's opening lap at the circuit's only GP of 1993. On that day Senna fell back to sixth and then drove through to first place on the opening lap, finding grip no-one else could find.
Now that Nick has cracked how to heat his tyres up for qualifying we are going to see an invigorated Heidfeld challenge. And the person most likely to lose out from that is Robert Kubica.

Last edited by blue8; 07-07-2008 at 02:19 AM.
blue8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:06 AM   #38
styla21
Regular User

Agreed, Matt ^^.
So the question is, is Hamilton the only guy NOT to spin?
Nevertheless, he demonstrated some solid wet-weather skills, to back up the Monaco wet-weather race win.

Originally Posted by blue8 View Post
His careful manouevering around the outside and then the inside of Trulli and Alonso through Luffield and Woodcote was a joy to see once - for him to repeat it later at the same spot - with Kovalainen and Raikkonen - was almost like witnessing lightning striking twice.
That is a great way to summarize! My eyes were popping out of my head!

Last edited by styla21; 07-07-2008 at 02:17 AM.
styla21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:54 AM   #39
mts6800
Regular User

Originally Posted by STiInYourEye View Post
I believe it is some sort of adjustment for the brakes. I am not sure if it is a brake bias adjustment or not, but I think I remember it being commented on last season because Raikkonen was messing with that lever just before his crash in Italy.
It is a brake bias adjustment. I think it was first seen in the Schumacher era. It's most effective when braking downhill and uphill. How much time it's worth I don't have a clue but when hundredths of a second can make a difference it's easy to see why it would be used.
mts6800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:09 AM   #40
turpija
Regular User

Originally Posted by styla21 View Post
Agreed, Matt ^^.
So the question is, is Hamilton the only guy NOT to spin?
Hamilton didn't spin but he went off track when heavy rain started later in the race.

He showed some good driving BUT, they(McLaren) said that his setup was made more for wet then the dry weather, so I'm guessing big part of his great lead is simple setup difference, not to mention Heikki which let him pass and then blocked Kimi and Alonso while both of them were faster then Lewis, great team work
turpija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:00 AM   #41
go1d1e
Regular User

Originally Posted by mts6800 View Post
It is a brake bias adjustment. I think it was first seen in the Schumacher era. It's most effective when braking downhill and uphill. How much time it's worth I don't have a clue but when hundredths of a second can make a difference it's easy to see why it would be used.

I figured it may of been something like this, but why is it only that I have noticed the ferraris doing it? Seems as though if anything really works, everyone does their own version of it. That and I figured something like that would be on the steering wheel like everything else.

Great race, enjoyed it a lot.
go1d1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #42
bluedemon

This was a freaking awesome race, Lewis lapped everyone but 2nd and 3rd place. Thats damn impressive. Felt bad for Massa with all the spins but what about Kimi? He spun twice and still got 4th. Thats pretty impressive as well. Good job to Honda as well, well deserved 3rd place.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:14 AM   #43
mts6800
Regular User

Originally Posted by go1d1e View Post
I figured it may of been something like this, but why is it only that I have noticed the ferraris doing it? Seems as though if anything really works, everyone does their own version of it. That and I figured something like that would be on the steering wheel like everything else.

Great race, enjoyed it a lot.
AFIK only the Ferrari drivers make adjustments based on track position on each lap. I'm sure the other cars have an adjustment available but the drivers either don't use it or it's not easily seen. Also AFIK brake bias adjustment is mechanical and not likely to be made electronic, thus it's not on the steering wheel.

Brake bias tweeking will help when going down hill or up hill and not on a big hill for an F1 car and driver aiming to extract maximum performance.

I agree it was a really great race!!
Old 07-11-2008, 02:16 AM   #44
Pokiou
Regular User

Originally Posted by mts6800 View Post

A smiliar system was in the car of Hakkienen and Coulthard but was banned.. ahhh FIA and there favoritism... ...

the system in the Mclaren was a 3rd pedal that applied rear brake only which im sure can be done with the leaver also...

anyways.. its open to discussion.. and people are still using these as examples how how FIA penilises the mclaren team... sad if you ask me.
Pokiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:35 AM   #45
mts6800
Regular User

Originally Posted by Pokiou View Post
A smiliar system was in the car of Hakkienen and Coulthard but was banned.. ahhh FIA and there favoritism... ...

the system in the Mclaren was a 3rd pedal that applied rear brake only which im sure can be done with the leaver also...
Actually the 2 pedal McLaren system is not at all similar. Brake bias refers to how much of the, single pedal, force is applied to the front wheels and how much to the rear wheels. The 2nd McLaren pedal applied braking force to one of rear wheels only.

Applying braking force to one or the other of the rear wheels can change the direction of the car thus has a steering efffect. That was the basis of the ban as only one steering system is allowed. Whether it was a good ruling or a fair ruling is a matter of opinion, and of course everybody has one.