Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 12-27-2004, 06:50 PM   #31
FoxFour
Regular User

Originally Posted by CSedl87

They say it created a 620mile hole in the earth. Geologists are saying that it has affected the earths spin, and will affect the weather accordingly.
I found this doing a Google search. I am somewhat intrigued by this and will be doing some research on this tonight. If I find anything interesting, I will post

By now, you've probably heard about the horrifying earthquake in the Indian Ocean, and the estimated 8,000 people it has killed. As a metric of just how powerful this quake was, consider the following facts, courtesy News 14:

"All the planet is vibrating" from the quake, said Enzo Boschi, the head of Italy's National Geophysics Institute. Speaking on SKY TG24 TV, Boschi said the quake even disturbed the Earth's rotation.[/quote]

It's possible that this quake has created a little more instability to the earth's poles. The 'Chandler Wobble' has been a scientific mystery for ages but only until recently, with over a 100 years of imperical data, has the riddle been solved
MEDIA RELATIONS OFFICE
JET PROPULSION LABORATORY
CALIFORNIA INTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY NATIONAL AERONAUTICS AND SPACE ADMINISTRATION
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE July 18, 2000

A MYSTERY OF EARTH'S WOBBLE SOLVED: IT'S THE OCEAN

The century-old mystery of Earth's "Chandler wobble" has been solved by a scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. The Chandler wobble, named for its 1891 discoverer, Seth Carlo Chandler, Jr., an American businessman turned astronomer, is one of several wobbling motions exhibited by Earth as it rotates on its axis, much as a top wobbles as it spins.

Scientists have been particularly intrigued by the Chandler wobble, since its cause has remained a mystery even though it has been under observation for over a century. Its period is only around 433 days, or just 1.2 years, meaning that it takes that amount of time to complete one wobble. The wobble amounts to about 20 feet at the North Pole. It has been calculated that the Chandler wobble would be damped down, or reduced to zero, in just 68 years, unless some force were constantly acting to reinvigorate it.

But what is that force, or excitation mechanism? Over the years, various hypotheses have been put forward, such as atmospheric phenomena, continental water storage (changes in snow cover, river runoff, lake levels, or reservoir capacities), interaction at the boundary of Earth's core and its surrounding mantle, and earthquakes.

Writing in the August 1 issue of Geophysical Research Letters, Richard Gross, a JPL geophysicist, reports that the principal cause of the Chandler wobble is fluctuating pressure on the bottom of the ocean, caused by temperature and salinity changes and wind-driven changes in the circulation of the oceans. He determined this by applying numerical models of the oceans, which have only recently become available through the work of other researchers, to data on the Chandler wobble obtained during the years 1985-1995. Gross calculated that two-thirds of the Chandler wobble is caused by ocean-bottom pressure changes and the remaining one-third by fluctuations in atmospheric pressure. He says that the effect of atmospheric winds and ocean currents on the wobble was minor.

Gross credits the wide distribution of the data that underlay his calculations to the creation in 1988 of the International Earth Rotation Service, which is based in Paris, France. Through its various bureaus, he writes, the service enables the kind of interdisciplinary research that led to his solution of the Chandler wobble mystery. Gross's research was supported by NASA's Office of Earth Science, Washington, D.C.

JPL is a division of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena.

Many pilots of the time were the opinion that a fighter pilot in a closed cockpit was an impossible thing, because you should smell the enemy. You could smell them because of the oil they were burning.
Adolf Galland
FoxFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 09:23 PM   #32
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
What a tradegy, some part of the world is enjoying the boxing day sale while the other suffers from water damage
could you please enlighten me as to the meaning of boxing day? it sounds like a massive sporting event
Don't worry - it is just another "Swastika waving holiday for Christianss".. :roll:

Boxing Day
The day after Christmas, the Feast of St. Stephen, the first Christian martyr, is better known as Boxing Day. The term may come from the opening of church poor boxes that day; maybe from the earthenware boxes with which boy apprentices collected money at the doors of their masters' clients
The secular adoption of this day is in the form of tradesmen and labourers collecting "Christmas Boxes" of goodies from customers as they do their rounds - for example garbage collectors, milk men etc.
ok, so i don't know much about Canadian customs. Sue me I guarantee you i'm not the only American who doesn't know about Boxing Day. Thanks for the tidbit of info though.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 09:41 PM   #33
callen
Regular User

I hope the sultans car collection is ok! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Old 12-28-2004, 02:54 AM   #34
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
ok, so i don't know much about Canadian customs. Sue me I guarantee you i'm not the only American who doesn't know about Boxing Day. Thanks for the tidbit of info though.
we have Boxing Day here on the 26th also......the stupid thing is that because it fell on a Sunday this year it would mean no break from work - so they give us Monday/Tuesday off to make up for it. :shock:
This country will do anything for a holiday.....considering most people use up all of there sick days anyway there shouldn't be a need for another holiday.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:14 AM   #35
possessed_beaver
Regular User

Originally Posted by everso
33,000 now confirmed dead

over 40,000 now missing, with the number growing

just a reminder, alot of funds are needed with alot of aid, so spread the word to your families/friends etc.. to donate money. especially during this holiday season we should be generous.

http://www.unicef.org
http://www.savethechildren.org
http://www.americares.org
http://www.worldvision.org

there are several other sites as well...choose your weapon and spread the word. cheers.
it's ok, my country donated $10 000 000.00 aswell as medical aid and suplies, i don't think my $20 donation will matter.
possessed_beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 04:12 AM   #36
dingo
Regular User

I just had a thought, are any of the regular JW members from these affected areas? I'm pretty sure there were some from Thailand, have we heard from them yet?
Old 12-28-2004, 05:00 AM   #37
possessed_beaver
Regular User

Originally Posted by mrmojo77
Originally Posted by dingo22
I just had a thought, are any of the regular JW members from these affected areas? I'm pretty sure there were some from Thailand, have we heard from them yet?
Were there any waves in Australia?
yeh, in australia some crayfishing boats broke from there ropes, nothing major, and the tide has been disrupted mildley nothing in the way of 15m waves, probley 2m at the very most.

as for the speed the wave was traveling, it was infact (i believe) the shockwave that was going 500km/h
Old 12-28-2004, 05:15 AM   #38
dingo
Regular User

Originally Posted by mrmojo77
Originally Posted by dingo22
Were there any waves in Australia?
well a few like beaver said, also in Rockingham (~35km south of Perth) some mussel farms which my dad has interest in were destroyed.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:41 AM   #39
evoWalo
Regular User

Originally Posted by Schwalbe JG 44
This tragedy is very horrible, the countries concerned should obtain in the future "Tsunami alarm system" like in Japan. That's really sad.
Those systems cost about USD250,000.00 each & takes about a month to build. The problem here is funding.
evoWalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:41 AM   #40
evoWalo
Regular User

Originally Posted by numerouno
Many of the poor people could've been saved if they were informed of Tsunami possibility in advance
Problem is that most of those people dont have radios or TVs. Most of the dead are are really poor & live in developing nations.
evoWalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 11:31 AM   #41
possessed_beaver
Regular User

Originally Posted by evoWALO
Originally Posted by numerouno
Many of the poor people could've been saved if they were informed of Tsunami possibility in advance
Problem is that most of those people dont have radios or TVs. Most of the dead are are really poor & live in developing nations.
and also the chances of it happing again, are incredibley small.

i believe australia is going to buy one for the indian ocean.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:46 AM   #42
evoWalo
Regular User

I could imagine the panic & mass hysteria of moving millions of people from the coasts to higher ground even if they had 1-4 hours advanced warning. More people could've died if they were warned ahead.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:05 PM   #43
FordGTGuy

Originally Posted by Ronin005
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1540&ncid=1540&e=3&u=/afp/20041227/sc_afp/asiaquakeenvironment_041227160302
this is just plain stupid damn french. They wouldn't be alive if their weren't resorts thats what their economy is based on(mostly). Ohhhh I have a qeustion is their a place anywhere on Earth that can gurantee no deaths with a tsunami hell no.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:07 PM   #44
FordGTGuy

This tragedy is very horrible, the countries concerned should obtain in the future "Tsunami alarm system" like in Japan. That's really sad.
Those systems cost about USD250,000.00 each & takes about a month to build. The problem here is funding.
shit that alarm system must be a P.O.S. to take that long to build
Old 12-28-2004, 02:21 PM   #45
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by FordGTGuy
shit that alarm system must be a P.O.S. to take that long to build
quite the opposite actually. as intricate as this system is, a month is not that bad of a turn around. they need to be able to transmit telemetry to other bouys and the monitorng station on shore. and considering the limited information they have on tsunamis, they have to be able to program the thresholds of everything so that the alarm can be triggered.
not to mention the testing they have to do on the systems before sending them out to sea.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote