Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat > Car Gallery

Old 03-18-2005, 07:26 PM   #31
Sir_GT
Regular User

I'm not a fan of any big car except the Quattroporte.

Everything else out there lacks a complete sense of style or presence. They all look like generic big cars, but aren't really worth the money.

Gimme a black, 6L, V12 Engined, white leather Quattroporte any day.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:41 PM   #32
JoeHahn
Regular User

Originally Posted by SPEEDKILLAR
Originally Posted by acs power
Wich th A8 will loose badly of course.
I don't think so. A possible S8 would rule.

And a probably S 65 AMG would RULE the S8.
and along comes the RS8 and Mercedes cant even win their own horsepower war. Apart from Mercedes horrible build quality I think I'd have an E class over an S.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:20 PM   #33
chest3r
Regular User

I'm tired of seeing the "old" model :x

"....Mercedes horrible build quality..." ?!?!?! What car do you drive ??? A Maybach ? A Bentley ? Or a Rolls Royce ??
Old 03-19-2005, 12:12 AM   #34
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by SPEEDKILLAR
Originally Posted by Just_me
New S-class

7-series
I don't know what you are trying to prove, but that S is a testcar dude :roll:

Far from the real interior...
He was trying to show that aside from the bootlid, Mercedes also ripped off BMW's interior... including iDrive.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:19 AM   #35
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by chest3r
I'm tired of seeing the "old" model :x

"....Mercedes horrible build quality..." ?!?!?! What car do you drive ??? A Maybach ? A Bentley ? Or a Rolls Royce ??
Well... with the M-class being voted the worst car in Britain by it's owners, and the C-class not being that far off, which is absolutely amazing because that means that italian and french cars on average were better put together, that means that you can drive pretty much anything, and still get away with saying "Mercedes horrible build quality."

I mean, let's face it. Mercedes simply isn't the brand that they used to be. Profits during the last quarter of 2004 were about £12M, and they expect to swing into losses in 2005, whereas BMW and Audi sales are soaring... in which both brands are surpassing their previous sales records.

The proof is in the pudding as they say.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:37 AM   #36
blah
Regular User

Originally Posted by Sir_GT

Everything else out there lacks a complete sense of style or presence. They all look like generic big cars, but aren't really worth the money.

I dont know what quattroporte you are buying. Have fun finding one with a V12.

Also RS8<<<<<S600 alone. The new AMGs and the new standard V8s will be enough to put AUDI back in its place. The only real threat to the S-Class is the 7 series.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:01 AM   #37
Sir_GT
Regular User

Originally Posted by blah

Ah. At the moment, you cannot find one, but in a few months, you will.

See here.

Here's the full article:

Ferrari V12 power for Quattroporte

Maserati is planning to add a rapid 5.7-litre V12 Quattroporte to its line-up, according to reliable sources within the Italian car maker. The plush new Maserati flagship is aimed at challenging high-end luxury saloon rivals such as the Audi A8 W12, BMW 760i and Mercedes-Benz S600.

Power for the range-topping Quattroporte is said to come from a lightly reworked version of parent company Ferrari’s 5.7-litre V12 engine from the 612 Scaglietti. In the big Ferrari coupé, the 65-degree unit develops 540bhp at 7200rpm and 434lb ft of torque at 5250rpm. However, Maserati is rumoured to be tweaking the engine to bolster its low-end grunt and make it more suitable for the luxurious Quattroporte.

As well as the new V12, Maserati is also said to be in negotiations with Volkswagen for the supply of the German car maker’s highly lauded 5.0-litre V10 turbodiesel for its upmarket saloon, although officials say it is not a particular priority. The rear-wheel-drive Quattroporte is currently offered with a 4.2-litre V8 engine producing 400bhp and 333lb ft of torque.

It is not known whether the new V12 will head into other Maserati models, but with a new Coupé and Spyder planned for early 2006 the chances of the engine spreading across the range look strong.

Together with the V12 engine for the Quattroporte, Maserati is also co-operating with an outside supplier on a new automatic gearbox to be offered alongside the existing Cambiocorsa automated-manual ’box. Maserati sees the new gearbox as the key to increasing sales, particularly in the North American market, though it is remaining tight-lipped on whether it is a traditional torque-converter unit rather than a more contemporary dual-clutch set-up
Sounds good eh?
Old 03-19-2005, 01:19 PM   #38
Wutputt
Regular User

Originally Posted by |Nuno|
Originally Posted by Wutputt
from what I heard it will have a pedestrian airbag, which is designed to improve the new S-classes pedestrian safety.
Ok, this whole "pedestrian safety" stuff is going too far... Just watch were you're going, damnit!!
I completely agree.

Originally Posted by JiggaStyles09
how exactly does a pedestrian airbag work....i have never heard of such a thing
It's hidden behind the grill or in the bonnet. When sensors detect the car hits an object that's possible a person, it will deploy this airbag so the person’s head won't bang onto the bonnet but will hit the airbag. But there is a 'big' possibilty

I don't know that much more about it. And it's still a rumour that the W221 will be equiped with it
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 01:27 PM   #39
mv
Regular User

It eventually seems Autobild was actually pretty close :

And these were made before the barely disguised mules appeared.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:16 PM   #40
blah
Regular User

See here.

Here's the full article:

Maserati is planning to add a rapid 5.7-litre V12 Quattroporte to its line-up, according to reliable sources within the Italian car maker. The plush new Maserati flagship is aimed at challenging high-end luxury saloon rivals such as the Audi A8 W12, BMW 760i and Mercedes-Benz S600.

Power for the range-topping Quattroporte is said to come from a lightly reworked version of parent company Ferrari’s 5.7-litre V12 engine from the 612 Scaglietti. In the big Ferrari coupé, the 65-degree unit develops 540bhp at 7200rpm and 434lb ft of torque at 5250rpm. However, Maserati is rumoured to be tweaking the engine to bolster its low-end grunt and make it more suitable for the luxurious Quattroporte.

As well as the new V12, Maserati is also said to be in negotiations with Volkswagen for the supply of the German car maker’s highly lauded 5.0-litre V10 turbodiesel for its upmarket saloon, although officials say it is not a particular priority. The rear-wheel-drive Quattroporte is currently offered with a 4.2-litre V8 engine producing 400bhp and 333lb ft of torque.

It is not known whether the new V12 will head into other Maserati models, but with a new Coupé and Spyder planned for early 2006 the chances of the engine spreading across the range look strong.

Together with the V12 engine for the Quattroporte, Maserati is also co-operating with an outside supplier on a new automatic gearbox to be offered alongside the existing Cambiocorsa automated-manual ’box. Maserati sees the new gearbox as the key to increasing sales, particularly in the North American market, though it is remaining tight-lipped on whether it is a traditional torque-converter unit rather than a more contemporary dual-clutch set-up
Sounds good eh?
Now if the V8s are still sold out for 1 more year think bout the v12s.

Ive been upclose with the quattroporte and i didnt really like it that much. It looked like it was trying to be to many things like james said on topgear. Ill take a 7 or an S class anyday.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:57 PM   #41
Sir_GT
Regular User

See here.

Here's the full article:

Sounds good eh?
Now if the V8s are still sold out for 1 more year think bout the v12s.

Ive been upclose with the quattroporte and i didnt really like it that much. It looked like it was trying to be to many things like james said on topgear. Ill take a 7 or an S class anyday.
Errr... I'll respect your take on it, but I really wouldn't hang on anything James says on Top Gear. I've unwittingly followed his career, and although he has witty opinions on a lot of things, one of the subjects his knowledge dims is in fact, automobiles.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:24 AM   #42
Zonda^
Regular User

looks like the back is inspired by maybach
Old 03-23-2005, 11:54 AM   #43
raphaelws

What is that guy pointing at ??
LOOK!!! a SPY!! ehehe