Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 05-09-2004, 02:36 PM   #31
Ziploc
Regular User

IMO the new gen beemers have lost there "drivers-car" appeal to me. what kind of a sporty driver wants to fiddle with idrive? or sctive steering? or EBD? etc

the new 5 is to soft adn full of useless things if your in it for the driving experience

7 used to be a good full size performer ( transporter anyone? ) but now look at it! it looks like a gloob that would rather consume a gaurdrail then actually stay within its boundaries!

also auto only cars are creeping into the bmw range (7) and instead of smooth quock manuals they are pushing for SMGs. bah! what happeend to the simple yet luxurious bimmers with manual boxes for the wealthy with some driving skills?!
Ziploc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 06:56 AM   #32
ahmedgiyab
Regular User

Default Re: What's wrong with AMG?

Originally Posted by artypossum
What is going on with AMG? They make some of the most fabulous and powerful cars in the world and yet they still have no manual option, only automatic with steering wheel buttons. Or is that enough? Would a manual gearbox spoil the whole "AMG experience"? Your opinions would be much appreciated.
What's wrong with you?

Its OK like this....

Ppl who say that its ain't sporty.....(they NEVER drove a true AMG....)

Old 06-02-2004, 03:33 AM   #33
amanthapar
Regular User

SOrry for quoting u but i would have said the same thing...

my opinion is the Mercedes/AMG is after a *certain* segment of car buyers. The segment that Mercedes is most popular with is the older male (estimate from 40 to 60 years old) and an AMG Mercedes is pretty much a sports car built for an older generation. It's not to say that older people aren't able to drive manual transmissions, but i think some of them just wanna CHILLLL in luxury and know that they have a heaping amount of power under the bonnet if they need it.

that being said, i love AMG Benz cars. If i was 45, i would certainly consider an E55 AMG or an SL55/65 AMG!!!!
amanthapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:39 AM   #34
schnell318
Regular User

Originally Posted by Ziploc
also auto only cars are creeping into the bmw range (7) and instead of smooth quock manuals they are pushing for SMGs. bah! what happeend to the simple yet luxurious bimmers with manual boxes for the wealthy with some driving skills?!
Times are changing, I think manual transmissions are bound to disappear. Even Ferrari doesn´t offer one in their flagship model and in my opinion is that it´s just a matter of time before all the others don´t sad but true.
schnell318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 06:35 PM   #35
ludwig14
Regular User

Amg in my opinion is there to give bmw a run for its money, what the m did for bmw, amg is doing for mb... i wouldnt say that the m5 is a sports/exotic car or even the new m6, as i wouldn't say the sl55 or the slr are but the new 65 line will deff give lambo and the rest a good run. imagine your at a light in your 360 and a s65 pulls next to you, wow. you wouldn't know what happened to you, but sorry to say you lost. with that said amg is just there to show the world that you can drink you espresso and do 0-60 in under 4sec
ludwig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 08:22 PM   #36
veilsidebr

humm ya i've already thought about it, i just like manual gearboxed cars, not automatic, so i wouldn't buy an AMG Mercedes...

this is really an ignorant point of view of mercedes and AMG, because NOT every 60 years old man just likes auto gears...they just think about luxury, confort, and not performance...
Old 06-19-2004, 02:09 PM   #37
Ford Capri 2.8i
Regular User

Firstly AMG have got standarised a certain kind of client which any AMG car is designed for, this client normally likes cars as fast as any BMW rival at least, but with the usual confort, and cars easy to drive fast as well(engine with a lot of power in low revs, and car with progressive reactions in general)...and authomatic gearbox as well....and AMG goes straight to design a certain car for this kind of client.....the point that surprises me most nonetheless is that there is non any AMG version with a manual gearbox package as a option, whereas 90% authomatic cars has the option of a manual gearbox
Ford Capri 2.8i is offline   Reply With Quote