Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 05-15-2004, 03:22 PM   #31
Jabba
Regular User

I have done it before with three wireless network cards...(about £30 I think) no router, no server, just using ad hoc services and the computers "saw" each other first time.
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 03:25 PM   #32
Anonymous

Originally Posted by Jabba
I have done it before with three wireless network cards...(about £30 I think) no router, no server, just using ad hoc services and the computers "saw" each other first time.
Does that mean one comp has to be on all the time? cos that would probably mean me leaving my laptop on 24hours a day as i'll be the only one living downstairs in our house!
Old 05-15-2004, 03:28 PM   #33
graywolf624
Regular User

Does that mean one comp has to be on all the time? cos that would probably mean me leaving my laptop on 24hours a day as i'll be the only one living downstairs in our house!
Well you have a few choices. The best would be to run the wire into a router and send the internet out from that. This is very inexpensive, gives you nat, and an extra firewall. If we are just using computers then the computer with the internet connection has to remain up to send out the service.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 03:30 PM   #34
Jabba
Regular User

Yep couldnt have said it any better than that...and I leave everything on 24/7.
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 03:35 PM   #35
Anonymous

Cheers for the help guys thats far clearer than the information i've got from NTL's website!! i do have to switch my laptop off occasionly to cool it down when i've been doing intensive stuff like CAD, Video encoding etc it gets really hot and will sometimes actually switch itself off i think its because its got a desktop 2.8ghz P4 in it
Old 05-15-2004, 04:38 PM   #36
No.1
Regular User

Okay... this thread has been officially Hi-Jacked...

Whats all this business about ADSL, wireless internet and a 24/7 laptop
Old 05-15-2004, 05:07 PM   #37
PATo355
Regular User

Originally Posted by thenumber1

Yah hijacked , noobs that want to have more postcount ... well i am close to the 2000 post to im with da spam too

Btw AL123 a WiFi router can be found for 60 dollars , and that is about 30 Pounds , 100 pounds is a steal !!!

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
PATo355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 05:24 PM   #38
Tomerville
Regular User

thats one police car I would't mind being pulled over by

"Time is a versitile performer: it flies, marches, heals all wounds, runs out and will tell"
-Franklin Jones

^The definition of grip. Nav+Bose (standard) Arctic Silver on Blue, Heaven on Earth. '05 911 Turbo^
Tomerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 05:26 PM   #39
PATo355
Regular User

Originally Posted by SnowboarderTom
thats one police car I would't mind being pulled over by

That is why i wouldnt bother being a police

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:48 PM   #40
Anonymous

Originally Posted by PATo355

Yah hijacked , noobs that want to have more postcount ... well i am close to the 2000 post to im with da spam too

Btw AL123 a WiFi router can be found for 60 dollars , and that is about 30 Pounds , 100 pounds is a steal !!!
Yeah heres some more thread hijacking for ya since it was a repost anyway its ok to hijack Just been doing some research and your right about the prices NTL are trying to rip me off iMO i found numerous routers around the £40 mark!! nowhere near the £100 they were asking.

BTW i feel a total post whore today but i really needed that advice as i don't have a clue about networking!!
Old 05-15-2004, 05:58 PM   #41
PATo355
Regular User

Originally Posted by AL123

BTW i feel a total post whore today but i really needed that advice as i don't have a clue about networking!!

Hahaha no problem this is like my 30th post today ... and ive just been here for an hour ... hehe

Try getting a B router , G´s are better but B´s are cheap right now , as for networking cards they should be arount 15 pounds

Old 05-15-2004, 06:14 PM   #42
graywolf624
Regular User

Hahaha no problem this is like my 30th post today ... and ive just been here for an hour ... hehe

Try getting a B router , G´s are better but B´s are cheap right now , as for networking cards they should be arount 15 pounds
I would argue that b's aren't even worth buying anymore. G's usually have better security encryption options, and they run up to 54 mbs versus 11mbs for b.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 06:19 PM   #43
Anonymous

It would be good to have faster connections so we wouldn't have to burn cd's/ dvds but the b type would handle the 750k connection easily wouldn't it? anyway if they aren't much more expensive i'll get the faster type i can see the advantages given the amount of stuff we transfer currently like work- kazaa downloads etc
Old 05-15-2004, 06:28 PM   #44
No.1
Regular User

If you have a large hoiuse, or are going to be using the net at a distance fro mthe router (or even if your walls are thick), you will definately wan to have a G router. The higher speed will allow the broadband to run at its fastest... You will also be able to sell or give a connection to a neighbour... perhaps 128k for £20 a month.. a nice little earner

BTW - i am not an expert on this, so all of the above may be a load of crap, however, it is as accurate as possible
Old 05-15-2004, 06:46 PM   #45
Anonymous

If you have a large hoiuse, or are going to be using the net at a distance fro mthe router (or even if your walls are thick), you will definately wan to have a G router. The higher speed will allow the broadband to run at its fastest... You will also be able to sell or give a connection to a neighbour... perhaps 128k for £20 a month.. a nice little earner

BTW - i am not an expert on this, so all of the above may be a load of crap, however, it is as accurate as possible
certainly not a large house its a student house i'm not sure how to sell some bandwidth but NTL are increasing the speed you get for £25 to 750k so that would be a very nice earner. cheers for the advice i'll investigate the prices