Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 08-11-2004, 06:38 AM   #466
SDK2003
Regular User

All you Corvette magazine stat hores are missing the point completely !!!

If you offered anyone a choice between a Corvette Z06 and a Ferrari 360 any sensible minded person would go for the Ferrari. If you offered a choice between a Porsche 911 Turbo or Z06 again people would go for the Porsche, why is this ???

I've said it before and I’ll say it again

Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Audi, BMW etc etc all cost so much more because they are Premium brands, they will never sell their cars cheaper because they don't need to. People want to buy into the brand Culture and willing to pay more to own one.

Just the Same with Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Karen Millen etc designer clothes. A £500 Louis Vuitton hand-bag is much the same as a £50 non label hand-bag but people pay the extra for the label names, they don’t care if something costing £10 is almost the same.

Keep posting your magazine performance stats, skid pan g’s, braking distances yada, yada, yada but at the end day given the choice people will always choose a Porsche or Ferrari over any Corvette, even American people !!!

|| Canon 20D x2 | 17-40L | 24-70L | 100 USM Macro | 100-400L IS | 580EX ||
SDK2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 06:43 AM   #467
SDK2003
Regular User

Originally Posted by graywolf624
and the level of development, research, engineering etc..
I agree with everything you said but this.

The ls2 engine is incredibly developed. It has about as much in common with my l98 from 2 decades ago as a lawn mower engine. In fact, one could argue its more engineered and developed then alot of other engines due to how long it has evolved for
So why can Ferrari get 400bhp from a 3.6 Litre engine but Corvette need to use a 5.7 Litre unit, why ?... engine development

That 5.7 in the Corvette isn't at all refined

Old 08-11-2004, 10:14 AM   #468
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by SDK2003

If you offered anyone a choice between a Corvette Z06 and a Ferrari 360 any sensible minded person would go for the Ferrari. If you offered a choice between a Porsche 911 Turbo or Z06 again people would go for the Porsche, why is this ???

I've said it before and I’ll say it again

Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Audi, BMW etc etc all cost so much more because they are Premium brands, they will never sell their cars cheaper because they don't need to. People want to buy into the brand Culture and willing to pay more to own one.

Just the Same with Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Karen Millen etc designer clothes. A £500 Louis Vuitton hand-bag is much the same as a £50 non label hand-bag but people pay the extra for the label names, they don’t care if something costing £10 is almost the same.

Keep posting your magazine performance stats, skid pan g’s, braking distances yada, yada, yada but at the end day given the choice people will always choose a Porsche or Ferrari over any Corvette, even American people !!!
Well folks - there you have it.

When in doubt pull the "snob appeal" argument. "We may be slower but we look rich doing it".

I am guessing you laugh at folks with Timex watches, older PC's and small screen TV's as well.. - Quite in keeping with your shallow personailty.

How sad - it seems the real reason yuppies buy Ferraris is for the poser value... perhaps this explains how the F360 is the most wrecked expensive car.

Congratulations on being a wealthy silver-spoon lauriate... in the mean time this snob value prevents those other ten's of thousands of people who are not at your priviledged station from having fun - because they don't want to be perceived as poor and would rather continue to be haters in rust buckets - than just buy the best performance value on the market.

What a shame. You guys really should learn to lose gracefully
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 10:29 AM   #469
SDK2003
Regular User

It's not about looking rich or being a snob. Even though the Ferrari's, BMW, Audis, Porsches etc are slower cars they are the more desirable cars
I'm sure if Corvette could sell their cars for £100k+ they would.

Anyway RC45 - given the choice of a Ferrari 360 or Corvette Z06 which would you go for ?

Old 08-11-2004, 10:39 AM   #470
LotusGT1
Regular User

That not the point of this whole discussion.

You guys dismiss the facts and come with a load of crap I've seldomly seen before. Of course there's a reason a Porsche 911 or a Ferrari costs more. That doesn't make the fact how the Corvette performs any less impressive.

Besides, IRL you're not given a Ferrari or a Vette. In real life you pay for it. And in that case your choice might be a whole lot different. For what the car costs a Corvette gives you a whole lot of performance and enjoyment. That's the whole point of that car.

And SDK, the fact that you keep brabbling about hp/l rating and link that to refinement makes me really doubt if you whave the capacity to learn something from other guys, that might have a little (understatement) more experience and knowledge than you have. Guys like RC and Guibo come to mind...
Old 08-11-2004, 10:46 AM   #471
RC45
Regular User

Anyway RC45 - given the choice of a Ferrari 360 or Corvette Z06 which would you go for ?
Well - I already have 1 Z06.. But let's assume I have neither...

A freebie? As in go outside right now and there are 2 shiny new cars outside? A new 360CS and a Z16 (anniversay Z06)..

And you can't resell them after you get the gift - right? (gift - oh my God - do you have any idea of the gift tax implications.. )

If the gift is as-is and there is no change to my current financial situation (as in the car does not come with a maintenance fund) - and knowing full well the cost to insure a 360 in Houston and maintain a 360CS that is going to get a lot of use - and knowing the mileage I commute, and the amount of mileage I drive for fun (about 2000 miles a month) - I would look at the 360CS, admire the graceful lines and little racer details (that while fancy looking are no better than any other car ) and choose the Z16.

Why?

Because I know full well that the car will be worn out and ratty without the "delicate care and feeding" that Ferraris need to stay healthy.

That is the reality.

But if the car was to be an extra to put alongside my current Z06, of course I would take the 360CS - it would probably never get used - but I could still say I have one..
Old 08-11-2004, 12:56 PM   #472
Max Power

So after my 24 pages read... there seems to be a verdict
a 360 is for show but the Z06 is for a pro......and I still don't understand why the vette bashers don't figure in price in their opinions and 'facts'
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 05:23 PM   #473
graywolf624
Regular User

So why can Ferrari get 400bhp from a 3.6 Litre engine but Corvette need to use a 5.7 Litre unit, why ?... engine development

That 5.7 in the Corvette isn't at all refined
After 24 pages you still dont get that hp/liter doesnt matter. No effect on anything.
The 5.7 liter in the vette is super refined. It is one of the most compact lightest weight best economy engines out there.

That isn't to say that the ferrari isn't... But to slight the vette like that is near sighted.

*I'd choose a ferrari over the vette 7 days of the week, but the vette deserves credit where credit is due. Especially accounting for price.
graywolf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 05:58 PM   #474
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by LotusGT1
Owned...again.
Owned? LOL You guys are simply hillarious! Fucking Hillarious.

For fucks sake make up your damn mind.

At first when I post an article the article didnt matter because its all down to the driver.

Now someone posts a different similar article and it matters.....
I thought its all down to the driver Or now it isnt?

So which one is it? Pick a side.

I like how you ignore the things you dont want to see and accept the things that suit you.

Bottom line. Corvetter is a damn good car. Its no fucking God. It runs head to head with the 360 and its damn close in the specs, so close that its all down to to the driver. Shit even look at these articles. 2 tenths of a second difference! We can all argue that the driver could make up the 2 tenths. And it wont have a chance against the CS. Sorry face the reality. The CS is 2 seconds faster then the modena, and modena runs just a bit slower then the Vette.

So whats the conclusion of this? Owned? I dont think so. We got an article right here stating that the cars are almost identical in performance.

Has anyone even considered the 550? I dont think so...No its not as fast in the twisties but it got WAY more grunt and its probably faster then the Vetter and 360 put together...not something I know...but a good thing to research.

Ohh and with a new entery level Ferrari coming Vetter will have to do some catching up

Now Im seriously out of here because this thread is just going in circles now.

P.S SDK2003 sorry but Ferraris and Porsches are not slower then the Vetter.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 06:01 PM   #475
Guibo
Regular User

The stats were only brought up to refute the blanket statement that the CS beats the Z06 in every category on paper. If the statement wasn't made, there's a good chance they never would have been posted. You can thank SFDMALEX for that.

Just because they want to buy into the brand culture and are willing to pay more doesn't necessarily mean what they're getting is better. That may be a result of social conditioning or simply a matter of personal preference. But it doesn't say anything about a (perceived) technical deficiency in the Corvette. Most sensible people would buy the fast, good handling, fuel efficient, comfortable, well-built car that falls within their budget, regardless of the badge. Or at least, we should hope so. As sports car enthusiasts, it'd be nice thought if that kind of thinking applies to us. Apparently not. OK, so you'd rather have a regular Boxster or Cayenne instead of a Z06. Late '70s Ferrari 308 or 914 over a '63 Split Window or '66 L72 w/427. Whatever floats your boat.

We may do our best (sometimes) to keep out terrorists, drug dealers, and illegal immigrants. But the last time I heard, we're not checking for snobs at the gates. As surprising as this might sound, they're everywhere. Yes, even in America.
Guibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 06:42 PM   #476
Guibo
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
And it wont have a chance against the CS. Sorry face the reality. The CS is 2 seconds faster then the modena, and modena runs just a bit slower then the Vette.
The Z16 Z06 is also faster around a track than the old, standard Z06. And unlike the CS, it sacrifices nothing in comfort. It's also more comfortable and has vastly improved shocks. Take a look at those lap times at Gingerman. There's nothing between the Comm. Ed. Z06 and the CS.

Has anyone even considered the 550? I dont think so...No its not as fast in the twisties but it got WAY more grunt and its probably faster then the Vetter and 360 put together...not something I know...but a good thing to research.
With that kind of hp coming from a V12, there's not much to question about its speed. But then, it probably costs as much as Vette and a 360 put together...

Ohh and with a new entery level Ferrari coming Vetter will have to do some catching up
Don't forget there's also a new Z06 coming up. And its engine has some tuning room left yet.
Guibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 06:50 PM   #477
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by Guibo
There's nothing between the Comm. Ed. Z06 and the CS.
And the startling thing is that the only real differences between the Z16 and my car is the four Sachs shocks, the cam profile (provides the extra 20 horsepower) and the sodium filled valves.

Other than that - it is the same car..
Old 08-12-2004, 04:49 AM   #478
LotusGT1
Regular User

Originally Posted by LotusGT1
Owned...again.
Owned? LOL You guys are simply hillarious! Fucking Hillarious.

For fucks sake make up your damn mind.

At first when I post an article the article didnt matter because its all down to the driver.

Now someone posts a different similar article and it matters.....
I thought its all down to the driver Or now it isnt?

So which one is it? Pick a side.

I like how you ignore the things you dont want to see and accept the things that suit you.
Right.

You post ONE article of which 2/3rds is based on SUBJECTIVE measurements, and you call it a day. "Because magazines don't lie"

LOL, that is proven wrong, so yes, you're owned....

Guibo at least posts proof of multiple mags., including the 360CS, while you keep brabbling about a 2 seconds you can't back up.

You are the one saying the Corvette don't beat the EVO, 911 and 360 and that's it. You keep twisting your statements.....

Bottom line. Corvetter is a damn good car. Its no fucking God. It runs head to head with the 360 and its damn close in the specs, so close that its all down to to the driver. Shit even look at these articles. 2 tenths of a second difference! We can all argue that the driver could make up the 2 tenths. And it wont have a chance against the CS. Sorry face the reality. The CS is 2 seconds faster then the modena, and modena runs just a bit slower then the Vette.

So whats the conclusion of this? Owned? I dont think so. We got an article right here stating that the cars are almost identical in performance.

Now Im seriously out of here because this thread is just going in circles now.

P.S SDK2003 sorry but Ferraris and Porsches are not slower then the Vetter.
LOL, a 550 ? What the fuck has that car got to do with a Corvette ? Price wise these cars are miles apart.

Bottom line is, you should read the full 24 pages of this article and pick out the facts.
LotusGT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 01:29 PM   #479
TRD-SUPRA
Regular User

Default Re: Corvette C6 Topgear Track time.

Originally Posted by DanielW
Quote from a viper forum

The show go's out this sunday, looks like it went quite well.
Not my words below:

Yesterday the C6 was in the studio for recording the show and "The Stig" drove a fast lap. The Corvette set a good lap time, even beating the Lotus Exige, which had been specially set-up for the track.

1. Mercedes McLaren SLR - 1.20.9
2. Ford GT - 1.21.9
3. Ferrari 360 CS - 1.22.3
3. Porsche GT3 RS - 1.22.3
5. Murcielago - 1.23.7
6. Zonda - 1.23.8
7. Koenigsegg - 1.23.9
8. Noble - 1.25.0
9. Gallardo - 1.25.8
10. Corvette C6 - 1.26
11. Lotus Exige - 1.26.4

12. Porsche 911 GT3 - 1.27.2

Richard Hammond the presenter was generally very positive about the car. He liked the performance and styling enormously. The engine and handling got a lot of praise and the head-up-display is now one his favourite features. Of course they also had some criticism, like the interior build quality.
Why they didn't test the F-60 Enzo yet to know if will beat the SLR or not??

TRD-SUPRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 02:09 PM   #480
capore
Regular User

I'm very keen on Top Gear and you should know that Jeremy Clarksson thinks that Americans don't know how to build a good car. I listened him saying that thruth in a July programme, when one of the actors from the original film of Starsky and Hutch went invited (the blond one, the one who drove the big Ford Torino).
Moreover you should also know that the stig was dead in an accident, concretely testing the max. speed of a mustang in a transatlantic. So the times you are showing us haven't been taken by the same stig. I mean that it hasn't been the same driver the one who proved the Mercedes SLR than the one who did it with the vette .
capore is offline   Reply With Quote